Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    In your Washing Machine, Stealing your Socks

Would you be happy for a Varian Novel or Short Story?

As a Lore invested player, I am confused with what I expected and what the playerbase recieved for the treatment of Varian Wrynn and his assension to High King of the Alliance. (two scenarios involving 2 Alliance Races - not exactly the making's of a High King).

Given his absense throghout a majority of the Pandaria events other than Scenarios and SoO, a novel or a short story maybe the only way to consolidate those vested in Wrynn's story with the in-game events, as well as tie in someother Races into explaining their absences during the Pandarian Campaign.

I personally want to know, why is this man our High King.

Any one else curious what he's been up too between games launch and 5.1 or 5.2 - 5.4? Or is their a better way to tell this story?
    I could be wrong but I doubt it

Varian already has a novel and a short story, both of which were used to advance his character from 'rawr I hate orcs' in Wrath to his level headedness in MoP.

IMO instead give Tyrande, Moira or Velen more attention instead.

No. There is already too much book-exclusive Alliance lore. This would only feed that. Sure, this wouldn't mean that we lose out on new content (as 5.1 and 5.2 have all happened already and 5.4 is soon to hit live) but I'm still sick of a bunch of Alliance lore being in books. So no, if merely out of principle.

15+ Year Old Account
    no. many Alliance players are already uhappy with the Alliance lore progressing through books while on the other hand horde lore is being shown in game.

No, I hate Varian and I'd rather Blizzard didn't waste time writing books for him when other alliance races desperately need more lore. It's bad enough that I have to put up with him in game but having to read a whole book on him just to keep up with the lore sounds awful. I'd rather have High King be abolished than have it further legitimized.

Besides, he already had Wolfheart.
    Last edited by Wyrt; 2013-08-22 at 11:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In your Washing Machine, Stealing your Socks
    Maybe I should rephrase the title to; is a Varian Novel and Short Story necessary. I still don't know why this man is our High King; as well as the involvement of Drenai, Worgan, Gnomes, Alliance Pandarian, and more extensive involvement of NE, and Dwarves,

Personally, hated the Blood in the Snow scenario - wrecked the dwarven storyline - not that blizz was doing anything with it anyway.

but I get the reaction for less in Novel's more in game.
    I could be wrong but I doubt it

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather they explained everything in-game. Ain't reading Blizzard books.

Um, short stories are acceptable. Mostly. Novels, ew.

I'd like for WoW to improve its in-game storytelling. It has gotten a lot better than in the past but even so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacromental View Post
    Given his absense throghout a majority of the Pandaria events other than Scenarios and SoO
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the only player in the world who did Lion's Landing / Dominance Offensive. It was packed with freaking lore...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    no. many Alliance players are already uhappy with the Alliance lore progressing through books while on the other hand horde lore is being shown in game.
    The "lore" Horde got was their Warchief being replaced by a roid-raging moron who we now have to team up and kill. Wanna swap? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I'd rather watching lore for the other leaders of the alliance in game, I hate chin king and I want to have alliance lore in the game not more novels
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromedes View Post
    Welcome to the Alliance, faction of compromises and unfulfilled desires. Want Vrykul? Here is compromise in form of kul tiran half giants we never heard of. Wanna High elves? Here is compromise in form of void elves we never heard of. Wanna broken draenei? awww fuck it
    About ganking ("world pvp") being dead now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Maybe you could wear a mask and push over little kids while they walk home from school instead?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Give all the Alliance leaders a collective novel... sort of like wolfheart-that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I'd rather they explained everything in-game. Ain't reading Blizzard books.
    I have liked all of blizzards books so far some more then others with the exception being Cycle of Hatred, I don't know if it was the author or blizzards fault. I haven't read any of Candidos other books but it sucked. It could have been good but it seemed to me the author had material for a 90-100 page short story and managed to very crappily drag it out in a 400 page pile of excrement.

I never liked the video game lore for money aspect of WoW personally.

In game Varian is handled very poorly, they should focus on fixing that. Perhaps in a very permanent manner.

Only if it was completely free of that obnoxious twit, Anduin.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like Varian quite a bit, more so recently, but I think other leaders would like to shine a bit more, atleast on a short-story. I think a Moira/dwarfs book would be awesome, I liked her in Blood in the snow.

Now that I think of it, as a Horde player mainly, I actually like dwarfs quite a bit, I'd like to see them more on the frontlines along with NE's.

http://wowpedia.org/Wolfheart
    That novel is very much about Varian and explains why he is the Alliance "High King" now. He also plays a major role in The Shattering, where he begins his transition from almost Garrosh-like to the cool, level-headed guy he is now.

I would personally like to see more novels on the Dwarves, War of the Three Hammers, etc. I'm somewhat biased there though. I've always played a Dwarf in WoW, and Dwarves have always been my favorite race in any kind of fantasy setting. I'd love to see a novel about the War of the Three Hammers.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2013-08-23 at 04:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Curanhadin View Post
    I have liked all of blizzards books so far some more then others with the exception being Cycle of Hatred, I don't know if it was the author or blizzards fault. I haven't read any of Candidos other books but it sucked. It could have been good but it seemed to me the author had material for a 90-100 page short story and managed to very crappily drag it out in a 400 page pile of excrement.
    What i meant is, i already spend a great deal of time on WoW. If i were to log out and pick a book talking about the same things, i'd get burned quickly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    No, I hate Varian and I'd rather Blizzard didn't waste time writing books for him when other alliance races desperately need more lore. It's bad enough that I have to put up with him in game but having to read a whole book on him just to keep up with the lore sounds awful. I'd rather have High King be abolished than have it further legitimized.

Besides, he already had Wolfheart.
    This! This! A thousand times THIIIIIIIS!

Having a high king contradicts the notion of an Alliance, and Varian is a dick on his way to become Knaak's favorit Mary Sue. We need More Gilneas lore. A lot more.(Yeah I'm pro horde but I still want more Gilneas.)

Deleted
    No, I don't even care that it's not clear why Varian became "High King". I always thought it was a horrible course of action, the Alliance should have remained just that, an alliance, a NATO if you will. Plus the title they gave him, High King, really? He's no high king of anyone, he's not even the king of all humans! But nooo, supreme commander wasn't good enough?

Varian sucks, I don't like him and the lore surrounding him is just hamfisted and bad. I don't want a novel to read how Tyrande whines all the time and Jaina cries for her now "High King". I'd rather get meaningful story for the Alliance leaders that were not shown as much, like Velen, Tyrande, the Dwarven Council, Gelbin, Genn and for the Horde leaders that lack story still, like Baine and even the goblin leader.

Varian lore in game? = sure why not
    (it's funny how one quest he act before he think while in other he think before he act...)

10+ Year Old Account
    Give Varian a short story dealing with the fallout of his actions at Orgrimmar from the rest of the leaders and his people. Varian has given the Horde a second chance, I however don't want this to be some one sided "Well he's nice" piece of story. I want to see people like Rogers lay it on. Show the world that Varian isn't perfect as he has been portrayed.

Give us a novel about another who hasn't got any. Like Tyrande. Give her some redemption as a respectable character. Get Malfurion involved so that he's not sitting idle while Ashenvale burns like during Cata. Have her take the initiative.

If characters like Varian aren't popular then they need to be made respectable. Letting them gather dust only worsens them further.