Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Should I call a bee keeper or exterminator?

So I have a semi massive bee problem at my house. Bees swarm around the back porch area of my house. Its a pretty big hive. The bees are not immediate threat to me or anybody else yet, but they are beginning to enter in my attic. I'm afraid they are making another hive up there. Somebody told me its inhumane to kill innocent honeybees.

So what should I do call a bee keeper or get an exterminator to kill them all?

10+ Year Old Account
    A bee keeper because they will usually take them away for free or pay you for them so they can use them for honey.
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

bee keeper definitely. Long as they're BEES. If they're yellowjackets etc, just exterminate them. Bees lately are having serious population decline issues. It's really sad, bees are cute and helpful! Call a bee keeper!

Beekeeper first, but I'm told they generally won't take random bees because they don't know if they're partially africanized. At any rate, they would probably know who to call to get rid of the bees.

If they're honey bees then a beekeeper yeah. Otherwise just have them exterminated.

If it was me though, personally, I'd just have them exterminated regardless. I'm lazy, and that will be the easier option.

I'd talk to an apiarist and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogmanlolz View Post
    Somebody told me its inhumane to kill innocent honeybees.
    Well, I guess that's subjective. I think bees are beautiful interesting creatures so I'd hesitate to kill them, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

If they are definitely bees, call a bee keeper. Bees are really helpful and are actually a really important part of the ecosystem, so it'd be good if you didn't have to kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    If they're honey bees then a beekeeper yeah. Otherwise just have them exterminated.

If it was me though, personally, I'd just have them exterminated regardless. I'm lazy, and that will be the easier option.
    I wouldn't say easier. I mean, you have to pay an exterminator. A bee keeper will more often than not take them off of your hands free of charge. And it doesn't really take that long to look up a bee keeper in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    I'm not sure but it's possible they'd still be useful even if they aren't honey bees. Apiarists make a fair bit of money from having their bees pollinate flowers, not just honey.

Just a thought. Ask an actual apiarist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Exterminator. Nuke 'em before they spread.

If you can't find a Bee-keeper, Animal Control can usually give you a few numbers to call, or call them for you. Exterminator on the other hand, typically won't, and will try to get the job to do it for you buy killing them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not inhumane if they start threatening your life. But yeah a bee keeper. Because they are usually free of charge and are just in it for the honey.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's bees, then call a bee-keeper. The world always needs more bees. If it's something else, then call the exterminator.

Beekeeper for sure. Your local council probably has a few phone numbers on hand for situations just like this. My Dad was their go-to guy for many years for things just as this. Basically they get a free hives worth of bees out of it so it's great for them.

As many others have said. Beekeeper first. If they're not bees, get them exterminated. Yellow Jackets, while not extremely aggressive... aren't major to any ecosystem. The funny thing is... yellow jackets aren't aggressive at all in texas unless you LITERALLY step on their nest. Then you get swarmed. The ones in florida, oh hell no! They won't let you within 15 feet of it :/

It was rare to see an actual honey bee in rural Texas. Only saw them when it was spring time and they're mixed with the African bees now. So they're not all that docile, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Unf View Post
    Oh woa, I didn't knew bee-keepers were a thing.
    How else do you think we get honey? What, you thought people just went out into forests searching for hives to ransack? :P

Deleted
    Bee keeper for sure. Honey for the people! \o/

I guess it really depends where they are, if they are ground bees then i don't think they make honey either but, i do believe they are equally important pollinators.

up to the OP i guess, again it probably help find out where they actually are and call in someone who knows these things to quote you on removal/destruction. if it were me i'd be the sympathetic soul and would probably pay a little more to have them moved.

Call a beekeeper

BUT If there is non around then im afraid its best to just exterminate them.

They could be africanised and they are extremely aggressive and very, very dangerous!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    How else do you think we get honey? What, you thought people just went out into forests searching for hives to ransack? :P
    Thats how i always thought we got honey, But then again i always thought winnie the pooh was real

Call your local animal control center. They should be able to give you information on identifying the bee and contact information for a beekeeper.

Quote Originally Posted by xZANGEITIx View Post
    Its not inhumane if they start threatening your life. But yeah a bee keeper. Because they are usually free of charge and are just in it for the honey.
    Where do you get the idea they are free of charge?