Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Lore Question: Why are the Horde and Alliance at war?

From what I understand, the Orcs and Humans are at odd because originally when the Dark Portal was opened the Burning Legion commanded the Orcs to genocide the Humans of Stormwind. But, the Orcs are no longer under Legion influence... so why are they still at war?

basically it's about prejudice, racism, dickheadness, divergent interests and garrosh hellscream.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because they have to fight for resources, on of the big reasons.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    basically it's about prejudice, racism, dickheadness, divergent interests and garrosh hellscream.
    What about when it was Alduin and Thrall?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you dont really just forget about the past, getting over the first war with the Orcs would not be easy.

Now a days though, the things they fight over the most is land, and with it resources etc. I would also say that the races have ideological differences that put the Horde and Alliance at odds as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a Horde/Alliance treaty after ICC. The Twilight Hammer kind of stomped on that by attacking the peace summit in Ashenvale and everyone assumed it was Garrosh. Then Garrosh went rampage conquest mode because he was tired of bowing down to the Alliance for needed resources to keep his people alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    What about when it was Alduin and Thrall?
    during vanilla and BC there was no war. basically, the horde and the alliance didn't like each other (due to prejudice, racism, dickheadness and divergent interests), but they were at peace.

at most, they'd help their allies in their conflicts against the other faction's allies (BGs).

during WotLK, King Varian Chin declared war to the horde, because of what happened on the wrathgate. but after he chilled his head, he decided to go back and make peace with the horde once again.

than garrosh happened.

Quote Originally Posted by loganroth51 View Post
    Well you dont really just forget about the past, getting over the first war with the Orcs would not be easy.

Now a days though, the things they fight over the most is land, and with it resources etc. I would also say that the races have ideological differences that put the Horde and Alliance at odds as well.
    That's a stupid reason. We (ALLIANCE) didn't go and genocide everyone in southern France (HORDE) because they were a puppet state of Nazi Germany (BURNING LEGION).

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    There was a Horde/Alliance treaty after ICC. The Twilight Hammer kind of stomped on that by attacking the peace summit in Ashenvale and everyone assumed it was Garrosh. Then Garrosh went rampage conquest mode because he was tired of bowing down to the Alliance for needed resources to keep his people alive.
    Resources which are being wasted and not used at all. Almost all the lumber they're cutting down is just being left to rot. So... good job on getting those resources, Garrosh! Mister Poison-Your-Own-Water-Supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Where was this? I must have missed that.
    Side question: How will the war continue with a new Warchief (if it's not Sylvannis)?

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    That's a stupid reason. We (ALLIANCE) didn't go and genocide everyone in southern France (HORDE) because they were a puppet state of Nazi Germany (BURNING LEGION).
    They also attacked us AGAIN, sailing north to war with Lordaeron. After that, rather than slaughtering them outright, we put them into internment camps (of admittedly low quality) and allowed them to live.

Where was this? I must have missed that.
    Side question: How will the war continue with a new Warchief (if it's not Sylvannis)?
    it was in a book, I think it was the shattering, but I'm not sure now. it was a pre-cata book, that's for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Resources which are being wasted and not used at all. Almost all the lumber they're cutting down is just being left to rot. So... good job on getting those resources, Garrosh! Mister Poison-Your-Own-Water-Supplies.
    If you completely ignore that that quest happens before the Cataclysm and after Cata starts. There's a period of time between the end of WotLK and the start of Cata when the actual Cataclysm happened and when Orgrimmar was going through a drought and people were dying. Orgrimmar wasn't destroyed and rebuilt in a day.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-08-23 at 10:17 PM.

during vanilla and BC there was no war. basically, the horde and the alliance didn't like each other (due to prejudice, racism, dickheadness and divergent interests), but they were at peace.

at most, they'd help their allies in their conflicts against the other faction's allies (BGs).

during WotLK, King Varian Chin declared war to the horde, because of what happened on the wrathgate. but after he chilled his head, he decided to go back and make peace with the horde once again.

than garrosh happened.
    During Vanilla and BC there was no war? That's a lie. Battlegrounds. And don't claim battlegrounds aren't there lorewise, because there are quests related to it.

Field Marshal Rathnor The Flesher's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That was the very same question Blizzard asked themselves after WC3 when they realized they should make an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathnor The Flesher View Post
    That was the very same question Blizzard asked themselves after WC3 when they realized they should make an MMO.
    So they just said "screw it"?

During Vanilla and BC there was no war? That's a lie. Battlegrounds. And don't claim battlegrounds aren't there lorewise, because there are quests related to it.
    a conflict between lumberjacks and hippies is hardly a war. lore states that from their alliance in WC3 to WotLK, they were under a peace treaty.
    Last edited by checking facts; 2013-08-23 at 10:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didnt say that lol. All I said is that some Alliance may harbor ill feelings from the past wars. You cant tell me that you don't think their are still people who resent the Orcs for the first war, "puppets" or not.

a conflict between lumberjacks and hippies is hardly a war. lore states that from their alliance in WC3 to WotLK, they were under a peace treaty.
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Alterac_Valley

Since when is that between lumberjacks and hippy dwarves?