Mobile internet dicking around

So neither mine or my friends mobile will work like we want it to. We turn it on, it works sometimes on our computers then it fucks up 2 hours later and won't connect at all? We use iPhone4 and Samsung Galaxy 2.

What is the probrem?

10+ Year Old Account
    Um, any more detail?? You're talking about your phone and computer here... which on doesn't work?

We turn on the mobile networks, we can find them on our computers then it just says unable to connect. This happens after we used the internet for about 1-2h only for WoW

- - - Updated - - -

Works on his but not on mine...
    computer that is

10+ Year Old Account
    So your router is messing up? As in your wireless internet at your house? Have you called your ISP?

I believe he is referring to setting up their phones as mobile hotspots for their computers (data tethering). I use an app called PDAnet+ (used to be foxfi) for android. A lot of the time you need to have your mobile accounts setup for data tethering. Without knowing how you have it setup, or what app you are using, we aren't going to be able to help you very much.

If you are using other apps to work around you carrier blocks, they also tend to be a lot less reliable, ie you may need to actually reboot your phone, the connection may drop off now and again, etc... other issues. It is also dependent on how good your data connection is, if you are 4gLTE with 5 bars you are going to have a much better experience then 1 bar of 2g .
    Last edited by lordmatthias; 2013-08-23 at 07:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would anyone use mobile hotspots for gaming... it's good enough for emails, and intertubes browsing, but even with 4g the connection isn't reliable enough to sustain online gaming. Especially not with more than one computer connected to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Why would anyone use mobile hotspots for gaming... it's good enough for emails, and intertubes browsing, but even with 4g the connection isn't reliable enough to sustain online gaming. Especially not with more than one computer connected to it.
    You would actually be really surprised. If you have LTE I have seen pings as low as 40ms with 30Mbps down and 12Mbps up. When I go up to my cabin I can actually playing wow over a really crappy 3g connection with 150-250ms and only 1Mbps down and like 100Kbps up (and be reasonably happy). Bandwidth for gaming is actually really minimal, its streaming and downloading that takes tons of bandwidth. When I go up for a week I only use about 1 GB streaming light netflix and playing some online games at night. The only thing that would potentially be troublesome are FPS and that is if you have a really bad ping.

I have actually also been in raid at home and the power has gone out, and I was able to swap over to my laptop hook it up to my cell, and continue raid with vent etc... just fine while I was running through the cell. The technology has really come a long way since Edge and even regular 3g.
    Last edited by lordmatthias; 2013-08-23 at 08:15 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    speedtest.net/my-result/2919222432 This is my average 4G speed... Download goes up to 120 Mbits/s. Yea thats not enough to sustain online gaiming lol.

Deleted
    OP:
    Just out of interest, why are you using UMTS packet data to play games? Do you live somewhere remote without a DSL/Cable? Or perhaps you're away from home in a hotel on business?

Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    OP:
    Just out of interest, why are you using UMTS packet data to play games? Do you live somewhere remote without a DSL/Cable? Or perhaps you're away from home in a hotel on business?
    At uni on a net thats blocked battle net, so using phone so I can play. The mobile hotspot works sometimes, but sometimes it just wont connect. I play with 150-200 ms so thats fine when it actually works.