Thread: 5.4 and UVLS

10+ Year Old Account

5.4 and UVLS

I've seen lots of streamers still use UVLS on ptr. I've played around with it a bit on ptr as well and the rppm nerf makes it seem not worth it at all. Any thoughts? Useless now? Still Bis for demo?

Deleted
    it wont be bis but its hardly useless,will still be a viable trinket.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe it will still be strong on council/single target fights, but will still be a risk/reward kind of thing, with the lousy RPPM changes you can get awesome procs and do amazing dps or get crap procs and feel sad. That kind of thing happens now but at least now we can more or less count on very early procs on the pull. You will probably see most locks opt for trinkets with more consistent proc rates.

Only time will tell.

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    --Bilbo Baggins
    Paarthurnax | Peijing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by subtletuna View Post
    I've seen lots of streamers still use UVLS on ptr. I've played around with it a bit on ptr as well and the rppm nerf makes it seem not worth it at all. Any thoughts? Useless now? Still Bis for demo?
    If you have the HTF version, maybe (not that I would know ). But it's torture using it on ptr. It will easily get replaced.

It's still viable to use on council fights like protectors and klaxxi as demo.

After I did dark shaman with it and had 15% imp damage done, I cried and changed it out. I also picked up a wushoolay on live to be ready for patch day

The trinket is still good but ONLY if you have luck. It won't proc on pull like it use to do now (if you NEVER release your spirit after a wipe) so you can forget Demono's überopening.

Like people said, on fight with many long-lasting adds it will continue to shine, but way less than what it is doing now. So you might think about getting another trinket if you value consistency.
    Last edited by Shauni; 2013-08-26 at 06:33 AM. Reason: add conclusion

Personally I hate the RNG associated with UVLS. I play near perfectly and do 250K on say...council. Oh look only a 3 procs and they were spaced poorly. Next week I pull 350K+ since I had a few more but I was suffering a migraine and played sloppy but my demonic lemming imp army carried. A heroic 2/2 543ilvl UVLS has a .67 proc chance on PTR. Wush has a 1.21, Hydra a 1.10, and Chanye a 1.00 (before crit multiplier). The KTT and BBoY are both .92 I believe so you just don't see procs in any consistent fashion. Without EA glyph extending dooms your odds of having rolling crit dooms is pretty slim. Certainly nothing I would want to bring to progression.

I might avoid a KTT trinket for demo simply because imp damage (even if you sac) and pet damage do not work with the trinket. Thus the percentage contribution of KTT for demo is significantly lower (ballpark 30%'ish) than what it does for destro or affliction. If you can get your hands on a wush before 5.4 its certainly a more consistently strong option. Pretty much everyone is going to want the bindings/amp trinket and its 105 ICD and for normal modes I might just pair it with a timeless isle trinket and call it a day (for demo).

Indeed, as Werst said, the deviation now is huge, by the time the proc chance of it is lowered, with no EA glyph, it's gonna be really horrid to play with

Deleted
    Werst how much of a difference have you noticed in your tests between haste/mastery demo and crit demo? Not using UVLS in either?

Wrong thread (kinda) but the other is so long now so wanted to grab your attention here.

I have no qualms reforging into crit for demo, but don't fancy swapping gems every fight.

Never had the trinket but had no idea the deviation is that high. But trying Council w/o the trinket reminded me why affliction still exists.

Crit demo feels more consistent and less fury starved. When I demo dressed like aff I feel kinda starved though less so if I can mate half my dooms to the timeless isle trinket's proc (yulon's bite = proc name btw). Maybe I notice it more but I seem to 2pc proc during meta than from shadowbolt in caster....those crit chaoswaves do nasty things to adds. I try to fish for 20% procs via soulfire in caster then ToC/DF dump in meta when I get a proc. If you messed w' Zinn's spreadsheet likely you'd notice the trend at 8100'ish haste > mastery you are often better off using ToC > SF unless you have a haste proc so just kinda stick w' that fuzzy logic into 5.4 imo. I'll try to get some more detailed crit vs haste/mast demo testing in terms of specific numbers/breakdowns.

Its just not doable to swap literally 20x gems....if I am using aff MS I'd probably just roll w' a demo OS that is 8100-10K haste > mastery. Especially if I pick up other trinkets that work better for aff but I have the lamest luck w' trinkets both now and historically (was using a DMCV on hspine, killed raden w' shado pan trinket, still don't have a hydra/wush, etc).

Deviation with UVLS is huge (ie many times greater than even standard RPPM variance) and 5.4 changes of removing EA glyph and making the imp swarm glyph only 4x imps makes them even more a precious resource but also unfortunately very very RNG. A 2/2 heroic UVLS is 543 and only .67 rppm. Even a HTF 2/2 isn't much higher and certainly not enough you could expect any consistency. Since RRPM procs took a nerfing and UVLS hits so seldom its just not worth it imo. Especially for progression where consistency is really important. If I swing 100K+ pull to pull that isn't a great selling point for having a progression raid spot lol...

Deleted
    Thanks for the informative response.

I picked up a HC wush a few weeks back so I'll be pairing that with a normal Cha-Ye's until I can grab the timeless isle I think. I'll be running affliction MS but demo is just much more satisfying so if we can get it to work on enough fights, I'll play it.

As a follow up; when you went crit demo, did you sacrifice haste or mastery? Like what sort of stat distribution were you reaching for? I'll likely keep my mastery gems and just reforge accordingly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xdoom View Post
    its pretty much trash even if you have the heroic thunderforged
    I'm glad, I just want to throw that thing out the window whenever it procs during a time I can't make any use of it... Such as when the Magera heads dive into the water, when you're in a nest on Ji-kun, when Lei Shen is invulnerable etc. Would much rather have a trinket that doesn't turn the result of my dps into a complete /roll the dice.