Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Games for Windows Live to shut down July 2014

    According to this article i read Games for Windows will be gone in July 2014.

    I could not find a post about it but so many games such as batman, street fighter, fable and many more all use GFWL even the steam versions.

    Nothing more to say really other that oh hell and discuss.

  2. #2
    I never used GFWL personally but all I ever heard was bad stuff. Are the games tied to a specific account? If so, will these digital copies get transferred to a new service? Can you play these games without the service?

  3. #3
    Old God Crissi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    10,730
    So...will Fable suddenly become unplayable?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak
    don't get mad at me because I didn't know you were a transethnic genderqueer otherkin neo-communist conservative tumblrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by sibut
    Just put Howard on the border patrol squad, because nothing gets past him.

  4. #4
    Maybe I can finally buy Batman at a Steam Sale then. Bye Bye GFWL, you abomination should have never existed.

  5. #5
    You can buy the games from steam already but it still requires GFWL to play some and yes it is linked to your Xbox live account. And yes there is a chance these games wont work.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by zwiggy View Post
    You can buy the games from steam already but it still requires GFWL to play some and yes it is linked to your Xbox live account. And yes there is a chance these games wont work.
    I guess they wont take the marketing hit and just make them unplayable. They will remove GFWL from this games for sure. Otherwise they can kiss any hopes to ever introduce the initial XBOX One concept goodbye. If not even Microsoft can guarantee access to their DRM infested games, no one can.

  7. #7
    Hope that my games that require GFWL will be patched so that they can be played without it, otherwise I'll be pretty pissed. It would be kind of fitting, really. GFWL pisses people off to no end, it makes sense that it would piss everybody off on its way out.

  8. #8
    Welp, there goes the multiplayer/achievement tracking etc. for a lot of games that will probably never find another way to enable it.

    However I'm pleased future games won't have this "service". It's been nothing but a pain in the ass for me in the games I own that use it.

  9. #9

    Games for Windows Live to be Shutdown July 2014.

    Like the title says Games for Windows Live will be shutdown sometime in July of 2014.

    With that said I have a few problems I hope gets fixed before it happens. First off will all games be patched so they will work with Steam or be fine solo. I own Gears Of War pc and I am right now on support trying to get a new key since mine stopped working and I really hope this key will work with steam when GFWL is down.

    Two games that have already been patched or is getting the patch is both Batman Arkham games. I really hope that other games like GTA IV/Gears Of War/BioShock 1&2/Dark Souls get patched.

    So what is your opinion I personally I am happy Games for Windows Live is dying off because it was a pain in the ass drm even more so with the limited amount of times u could install a game.

    Tip: If you have any GFWL games that need a new key on make sure to get ahold of there support asap because I got a feeling once its official then you won't be able to get a new key.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-10-18 at 07:34 PM.
    My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jtbrig7390
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Jtbrig7390 "fallow for streaming details and all types of game updates"
    My Twitch Streaming Games All The Time: http://www.twitch.tv/jtbrig7390

  10. #10
    rip the last remnants of halo 2 the greatest online game in history

    fuck that makes me so sad, i'll never be able to experience online halo 2 ever again in my entire life :|

  11. #11
    So wait, when GFWL shuts down, what is the procedure in me being able to play those games (I have digital games directly on GFWL)?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam552 View Post
    So wait, when GFWL shuts down, what is the procedure in me being able to play those games (I have digital games directly on GFWL)?
    With the hardcopy's they are letting the keys be redeemable though steam and those that have the batman games will get the GTY version.

    As for digital copys I think u will still get to download and install but no mulitiplayer.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Coar View Post
    rip the last remnants of halo 2 the greatest online game in history

    fuck that makes me so sad, i'll never be able to experience online halo 2 ever again in my entire life :|
    Halo 2 already had its online pulled if I recall and like I said I am personally happy GFWL is getting the boot beause it was a really shitty DRM with its limited installs.

    I am interested in what games will get patched out of GFWL but the only one I own that isn't on my steam list is Gears of War PC and it better get the patch as well.....
    My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jtbrig7390
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Jtbrig7390 "fallow for streaming details and all types of game updates"
    My Twitch Streaming Games All The Time: http://www.twitch.tv/jtbrig7390

  13. #13
    Immortal Guru Laghima's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In the void
    Posts
    7,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Coar View Post
    rip the last remnants of halo 2 the greatest online game in history

    fuck that makes me so sad, i'll never be able to experience online halo 2 ever again in my entire life :|
    Don't speak too soon, you never know.
    You've probably never heard of him.

  14. #14
    Herald of the Titans Achaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    pfft as if you care..
    Posts
    2,681
    meh only use it for fo3

    which i modded to the point where it bypasses it anyway

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    With the hardcopy's they are letting the keys be redeemable though steam and those that have the batman games will get the GTY version.

    As for digital copys I think u will still get to download and install but no mulitiplayer.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Halo 2 already had its online pulled if I recall and like I said I am personally happy GFWL is getting the boot beause it was a really shitty DRM with its limited installs.

    I am interested in what games will get patched out of GFWL but the only one I own that isn't on my steam list is Gears of War PC and it better get the patch as well.....
    halo 2 has been gone on xbox for a while but still works on h2:v

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    Don't speak too soon, you never know.
    The official servers for Halo 2 was shutdown since the high's amount of people on them was like 15 but many people have been asking for a reboot like Halo 1 got.

    If Steam picks up halo 2 and gives it servers or at lease p2p I may buy it just so I can play some halo online.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Coar View Post
    halo 2 has been gone on xbox for a while but still works on h2:v
    what is h2:v?

    Ya just looked seems they extened the servers so I guess it didn't shutdown yet.
    My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jtbrig7390
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Jtbrig7390 "fallow for streaming details and all types of game updates"
    My Twitch Streaming Games All The Time: http://www.twitch.tv/jtbrig7390

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    The official servers for Halo 2 was shutdown since the high's amount of people on them was like 15 but many people have been asking for a reboot like Halo 1 got.

    If Steam picks up halo 2 and gives it servers or at lease p2p I may buy it just so I can play some halo online.

    - - - Updated - - -

    what is h2:v?

    Ya just looked seems they extened the servers so I guess it didn't shutdown yet.
    halo 2 vista was the games official name on pc

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Coar View Post
    halo 2 vista was the games official name on pc
    O Ok.

    I wasn't a big fan of any halo after halo1 but I was highly annoyed they tied H2 to vista like that did.

    Back On Topic: Dose this getting shutdown effect any of you and if so how? I really hope GTA IV gets patched because if it dose ill reinstall it and hope the online is active lol.
    My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jtbrig7390
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Jtbrig7390 "fallow for streaming details and all types of game updates"
    My Twitch Streaming Games All The Time: http://www.twitch.tv/jtbrig7390

  19. #19
    Titan Nerraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,521
    Halo 2 online on PC was already shut down earlier this year.

    And not all games will get the SteamWorks treatment. It's basically up to the original publishers and developers to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I only saw a few minutes of it but it looked slicker than a lubed up olympic swimmer fleeing from a shark.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Halo 2 online on PC was already shut down earlier this year.

    And not all games will get the SteamWorks treatment. It's basically up to the original publishers and developers to do it.
    no, it wasn't. halo 2 is still playable

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •