10+ Year Old Account

Alter time question

So I just got the ability alter time and I was wondering when do I use it? I mean I understand what it does press the button do stuff then go back to when you first pressed the button. My question is when do you other mages use it, I cant seem to find the right time for it or at least don't get when to use it. when is it most usefull?
    Semper Fi

Deleted
    would be helpful to know your spec. Though its pretty much the same, you use it when you have your trinkets and other strong buffs active+ having your specs procs live, Ie having 2x arcane missiles+4arcane stacks, Hot streak + heating up, or 2x Fingers of frost + brainfreeze.

It will also give you an extra 6 seconds of heroism if you use it while active.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok I get it its more of an offensive ability, I was trying to think of defensive uses for it. But that's probably because im still leveling this mage and I still feel very weak. But now with what you guys have said it sounds like im going to have to practice that moves timing. Is one of the moves that cant be used in arenas cus im sure ive never been killing a mage and he just pooped back to life defensively.

- - - Updated - - -

also im frost all the way and probly because i do the most dps in that spec and its just visually the best with fire second. I like visuals.
    Semper Fi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzin View Post
    Ok I get it its more of an offensive ability, I was trying to think of defensive uses for it. But that's probably because im still leveling this mage and I still feel very weak. But now with what you guys have said it sounds like im going to have to practice that moves timing. Is one of the moves that cant be used in arenas cus im sure ive never been killing a mage and he just pooped back to life defensively.

- - - Updated - - -

also im frost all the way and probly because i do the most dps in that spec and its just visually the best with fire second. I like visuals.
    It can be used as a defensive ability. When you use it, it also affects your hp. So if you know you're gonna take some big damage, use Alter Time, take some hits and perhaps drop to low health. Then when it expires/you use it again, woop, you're back to the percentage of health you had before you used it!

But for PvE it is rarely, and should not be used as a defensive ability. It is a big dps increase cooldowns, so the way you want to maximize it is to make sure you have all the procs, trinkets and whatnot up and running before you use it.

As Frost, get two charges of Fingers of Frost and Brainfreeze. Then pop Alter Time, Ice Lance, Ice Lance, Frostfire Bolt and click Alter Time again, and now you have your Fingers of Frost and Brainfreeze proc left to use again!

It is not only useful for yourself. You can combine it with life swap in bgs or arenas.
    The priest has low hp and your hp is pretty much full --> you alter time --> life swap --> alter time --> both players have "full" hp again depending on your hp obviously. You need to pratice this a bit but it sure helps.
    Everything else was already mentioned. You "duplicate" your procs and prolong buffs for offensive usage or you alter time with high hp when dmg spikes are expected for defensive usage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzpify View Post
    As Frost, get two charges of Fingers of Frost and Brainfreeze. Then pop Alter Time, Ice Lance, Ice Lance, Frostfire Bolt and click Alter Time again, and now you have your Fingers of Frost and Brainfreeze proc left to use again!
    Just want to clarify, you should never end alter time early as frost or arcane(unless you would alter back into a death spell with full duration ofc). Only fire does that.

And maybe I should clarify for OP, that it is possible to end alter time early by pressing the hotkey/spell again, however if you right click the buff in your buff frames you just plain remove it, without going back in time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by insen View Post
    It is not only useful for yourself. You can combine it with life swap in bgs or arenas.
    The priest has low hp and your hp is pretty much full --> you alter time --> life swap --> alter time --> both players have "full" hp again depending on your hp obviously. You need to pratice this a bit but it sure helps.
    Everything else was already mentioned. You "duplicate" your procs and prolong buffs for offensive usage or you alter time with high hp when dmg spikes are expected for defensive usage.
    It's better to use temporal shield for that. Your priest is low hp, you use temporal shield, he life swaps, you take roughly 300k dmg which is being healed really quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    It's better to use temporal shield for that. Your priest is low hp, you use temporal shield, he life swaps, you take roughly 300k dmg which is being healed really quickly.
    Sure thing. I just wanted to point out the possibility because cuzzin is still leveling and new to this. It always depends on the situation tho.