How does tanking and threat work? Dungeons are so annoying.

Im tanking my 5th dungeon and finding it very annoying not knowing how threat works. Im paladin mainspec Dark Thane.

Only ONE of my abilities says it adds "additional threat."

In games like WoW, "white damage" does 500% threat.. In rift is it just 100%?

SOmeone told me to spam taunt... is that forreal? I thought taunt would only be used if I didnt have agro.

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody tanks in Rift huh?
    Free-To-Play is the future.

I found tanking in RIFT to be one of the far easier aspects of the game.

Just make sure you have the right Stance/mark/bearing thing Warriors have and spam your AOE, and tab target shield slam.

Easy as pie.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

All abilities in Tanking souls (Paladin, Reaver and Void Knight) deal additional threat even if the tooltips don't say anything.
    You should easily be able to hold aggro by using your basic tanking abilities, if you find you need to taunt mobs after about 5s into the fight then you're doing something wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    All abilities in Tanking souls (Paladin, Reaver and Void Knight) deal additional threat even if the tooltips don't say anything.
    You should easily be able to hold aggro by using your basic tanking abilities, if you find you need to taunt mobs after about 5s into the fight then you're doing something wrong.
    This is the info I am looking for. I dont get how info is so hard to find on Rift. I asked like 100 people and not one person was able to give me a simple answer of how much threat is generated per damage as a tank. I just want to know if its 200% of damage done, or 500% like in WoW, etc etc.
    Last edited by Trakanonn; 2013-08-25 at 07:45 AM.
    Free-To-Play is the future.

Been a while since I warrior tanked but I think I was getting Reaver DoTs up first then Cyclone Strike on CD and otherwise just tabbing through mobs getting a couple hits, swapping, etc. If I see someone nuking a particular target hard I focus more on that target, if there is a caster I try to pull the melee pack to it and interrupt the caster, basic tanking stuff really.

It is a bit harder than WoW to figure out and handle the specs, especially when you're late to the game, but that's part of what makes RIFT more rewarding, things aren't always on a silver platter, takes a little tinkering to figure stuff out - and there is plenty to tinker with in the soul system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been a while since I've seen you here Tarien. Welcome back!

Personally, I've noticed a slow-down in the interest in these Rift forums of late (there are often several hours between posts) and have also felt a bit of "burn-out" towards Rift's grind with other mmo's beginning to appeal to me more.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

This is the info I am looking for. I dont get how info is so hard to find on Rift. I asked like 100 people and not one person was able to give me a simple answer of how much threat is generated per damage as a tank. I just want to know if its 200% of damage done, or 500% like in WoW, etc etc.
    The simple fact is no-one really knows what the threat modifiers are on most abilities because it's irrelevant, the modifiers are also very different for some abilities. I believe most tanking abilities generate 500% additional threat, but some generate as much as 4000% and some probably generate less than 500%. Tanks are easily able to hold threat and should never even be close to losing aggro. The combat log in-game doesn't report threat so making a threat meter would be a very, very time consuming business and since it's unnecessary no-one is likely to bother.

The main attacks for tank souls generate like 2.5 their damage as threat, finishers like 3 or 5x [this is fuzzy] and the skills which are or were labeled "significant threat" are like 10x damage as threat. Skills that don't deal damage create threat off the tank's Endurance. Which can be anywhere from 2.5 to 5x your Endurance. Such as some Void Knight skills.

Actual threat generation % are very difficult to come by in Rift due to the mechanic being unrepresented in the logs and parses. Only a handful of number crunchers have parsed out an idea of how threat is generated alongside the very rare dev comment about skills such as Breaking Blow or Retaliation.

But all tank damage skills generate disproportional threat to damage.

Also the smaller player base of Rift is what lead to the thinness of information. You likely will never have the robust resources across thousands of websites as World of Warcraft or somesuch. Rift is small.

Tanking in Rift is about the same as it used to be in WoW (maybe a tad easier) but alot tougher than the current roll face on keyboard tanking system that WoW uses. When they simplified how tanking works in WoW they really made tanking boring IMO. Its alot more interesting in Rift. Also keep in mind that as a tank in Rift you are expected in experts and raids to be interrupting. Sometimes dps will need to do it but its also one of the tasks that a tank performs. As in any raid game tanks are also responsible for positioning the boss and being aware of and picking up adds that might be aggroing the healers/dps. In certain raid encounters like Gelidria this is a key element to the fight. Though in most cases with a raid the off tank will be in charge of add control and interrupts while the main tank is positioning the boss. Depends on the fight.

What is the more simplified version of tanking in World of Warcraft vis-a-vis Rift? I mean mechanically. I don't play World of Warcraft. Don't know how tanking works there anymore.

I feel like tanking in Rift is as uninteresting as it is SWTOR or Secret World for example. There doesn't seem to be much remarkable about Rift's tanking or so much deeper than other games in this style.

They all are about the same.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-08-26 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendros View Post
    Tanking in Rift is about the same as it used to be in WoW (maybe a tad easier) but alot tougher than the current roll face on keyboard tanking system that WoW uses. When they simplified how tanking works in WoW they really made tanking boring IMO. Its alot more interesting in Rift. Also keep in mind that as a tank in Rift you are expected in experts and raids to be interrupting. Sometimes dps will need to do it but its also one of the tasks that a tank performs. As in any raid game tanks are also responsible for positioning the boss and being aware of and picking up adds that might be aggroing the healers/dps. In certain raid encounters like Gelidria this is a key element to the fight. Though in most cases with a raid the off tank will be in charge of add control and interrupts while the main tank is positioning the boss. Depends on the fight.
    I would say the exact opposite, rotationally tanking in WoW is a lot more involved than in Rift. Actually having to monitor your resources and attempt to smooth your incoming damage is a lot more difficult than refreshing Aggressive Block every 15s. If there was one thing I could take from WoW it would be the Active Mitigation system (that or 5 million subs) but for the most part tanking in Rift can be pretty monotonous outside of select encounters.

Very odd.

Single target: http://www.rifthead.com/ability/99169393/interfere

AoE: http://www.rifthead.com/ability/1966120019/judgment

Spam AoE: http://www.rifthead.com/ability/-608...weeping-strike <----MEGA IMPORTANT

^ those are your three biggies.

. Sweeping strike can be macro'd. The other two keep them on separate keys for situational..

. judgement is your oh shit for multiple adds

. Interfere is used on ranged guys that don't move or single adds that get away <-- you need to be good at turning towards the targets and tab targeting like a pro to make full use of this one....think WoW pally shield throw but instant

btw what level are you because Pally at 60 is like a threat magnet. If you try Reaver the main issue is it take two hits for the Blood Fever DOT to apply and then it has to spread and then build so yeahhhh

Also the below link is your bible for Warrior tanking

http://www.riftscene.com/guides/clas.../warrior-tank/

Tanking in Rift is guaranteed instant queue just about for instances. Also helps when some dick tank drops in a instance if you can take over before the group falls apart lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    What is the more simplified version of tanking in World of Warcraft vis-a-vis Rift? I mean mechanically. I don't play World of Warcraft. Don't know how tanking works there anymore.

I feel like tanking in Rift is as uninteresting as it is SWTOR or Secret World for example. There doesn't seem to be much remarkable about Rift's tanking or so much deeper than other games in this style.

They all are about the same.
    I'm assuming he's talking mostly about threat mechanics and that in WoW its incredibly hard to lose aggro as tanks have massive threat modifiers. It does mean for the easier content, tanking is incredibly easy, and most of the levelling dungeons are easy as pie to tank, only made difficult if you have annoying dps that feel the need to pull everything for you.

Primalthirst is right though, use of your abilities can make a great deal of difference in the damage you take and how easy you are to heal, and its easy to tell a decent tank from a rubbish one. I've ran through heroics with tanks that barely needed healing, and then done the same place with a tank that had comparable gear and had to spam them at times. It's a good system, but there's a fair bit of content where you dont really need to be good at putting it into practice and you'll still succeed, so it can feel like its pretty faceroll, as Khel suggested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.

Quote Originally Posted by russykh View Post

Primalthirst is right though, use of your abilities can make a great deal of difference in the damage you take and how easy you are to heal, and its easy to tell a decent tank from a rubbish one. I've ran through heroics with tanks that barely needed healing, and then done the same place with a tank that had comparable gear and had to spam them at times. It's a good system, but there's a fair bit of content where you dont really need to be good at putting it into practice and you'll still succeed, so it can feel like its pretty faceroll, as Khel suggested.
    I feel like that's a good system to have. If you can faceroll your way through easy content but need to be on top of your game for hard content then that lines up pretty well with how DPS and Healers can play terribly to complete easy content but must play well for harder content.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    I feel like that's a good system to have. If you can faceroll your way through easy content but need to be on top of your game for hard content then that lines up pretty well with how DPS and Healers can play terribly to complete easy content but must play well for harder content.
    There was certainly an element of "no matter how hard the content, you must know what you were doing" as a tank, which I think making threat easy has made more forgiving when you're learning. It was certainly a bit daunting early on trying to learn tanking when you had to keep a close eye on aggro, which of course could be made loads worse by your team mates, as well as worrying about your survivabilty.

I agree with Blizz on this one, moving it more towards being able to control your damage intake is more fun than trying to manage threat. And while the switch to active mitigation is better on some classes than others (monks being great examples) its more involving to me, as well as being more accessible as a newbie. I know some people enjoyed really having to manage their aggro. I respect that as an opinion even if I dont agree with it.

Anyway, enough about WoW. The official rift forums have some good guides - IIRC Roughraptors had a decent tanking guide up. Be prepared to play different specs as well, if you go in thinking "I am a Paladin/Void Knight/Whatever tank" and thinking you will do as well just sticking to that one spec, you're lining yourself up to be disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.