Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Motivation to Return

I... just... can't seem to get into the right D3 spirit. My highest character is a 60+4 DH with a 60 wiz and a 57 barb. Just... it just feels weird.

I'm not sure what it is. I have no intention on paying again on PS3 for a game I already own (for free, ty Blizz). Just... trying to figure out how best to get back into it with the expansion announced.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You know I'll be honest go re-roll or something maybe you will get back into it.

Play a WD. With the buff to firebats, WD is super OP now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Maybe if I try to play without AH, it might work better...

Wait till loot 2.0 is released, then play.

Quote Originally Posted by jrch5618 View Post
    Maybe if I try to play without AH, it might work better...
    It won't. It'll cause more anger than its worth IMO. I've tried to find some form of upgrade in my early Inferno farming. I ended up with ~60mil of gold picked up and not finding any upgrade (did sell a few items). The AH will feel like the only option to obtain gear with the exception of those BoA craftables.

RoS should be motivation enough. D3 doesnt have much to do now tbh. loot 2.0 will be awesome tho. But does that come in the xpac or before ?

Have you done Uber runs yet and worked on your hellfire rings?

I find that to be the most enjoyable part of D3 currently. Hellfire rings will be even more handy with the new level cap as well. Farm up a bunch of infernal machines in MP games. Ask the best players you find if they want to to Uber runs sometime once they have a bunch of machines as well. Then when your all ready have a grand ole time killing double bosses on a high MP level all night long and profit.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2013-08-25 at 06:52 AM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    loot 2.0 will be awesome tho. But does that come in the xpac or before ?
    I'm hoping before, so it could be tested on live servers. ATM Loot 2.0 looks really good on paper. Personally hoping the tweak and add some affixes so that gear stats aren't carbon copies of each other.

I... just... can't seem to get into the right D3 spirit. My highest character is a 60+4 DH with a 60 wiz and a 57 barb. Just... it just feels weird.

I'm not sure what it is. I have no intention on paying again on PS3 for a game I already own (for free, ty Blizz). Just... trying to figure out how best to get back into it with the expansion announced.

Just go back in. It is not you need to pay a subscription or something.

People quit and come back on a daily or weekly or monthly break.

The real hardcore players play this game ... on hardcore though LOL.

Playing like that D3 becomes a resource management game like EVE with a very healthy economy and mats gathering.

Softcore is there to simply blow monsters away for fun and play some class abilities.

But the real gem of D3 is its combo of hardcore play (one goal: stay alive) and include GAH to trade and down D in Inferno without dying.

Simple. 20% of public groups these days are hardcore players.

Nice niche populated game.

just reroll a diff class.. try a monk or something.. dont try hardcore though.. its a massive waste of time.. with trash being much worse than the bosses its more a game of hide and seek then, "hardcore"

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    just reroll a diff class.. try a monk or something.. dont try hardcore though.. its a massive waste of time.. with trash being much worse than the bosses its more a game of hide and seek then, "hardcore"
    Of course I disagree

that's what personal opinions are for.

Here is a hint: the real hardcore play/economy opens up at lvl 60 with mats/crafts/gems selling at great profit.
    Always play with a back up of the same class, so death is only a side effect.
    Once you have 2 HC. lvl 60 the real game opens up.
    Always stock the leveling gear on the bank so you can power lvl in 20+ hours back to 60.

In HC your goals are much more important, like killing D in Inferno with a well constructed economy.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-08-25 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Simple. 20% of public groups these days are hardcore players.

Nice niche populated game.
    I really doubt that it's true. Should be around 5%, maybe less.

While hardcore players prefer to play together because it raises the chance to survive disconnect and the number of public games per hardcore player is probably higher than the number of public games per sogtcore player, the number of players playing hardcore is still extremely low.

At some point blizzard changed the way they display the "games available for you". Now it means the number of open games you can join. I.e. the number of games with 3 characters or less.
    Considering that Blizzard party matching system is always trying to form 4-ppl parties by adding new people to existing parties instead of creating new ones, it means that no matter how many players are playing the game currently, the number of "open" games will always be low.
    100 parties running on hardcore, 5 not full parties --> 5 parties available
    100.000 parties running on softcore, 5 not full parties --> 5 parties available.

It's really hard to make any assumptions in this situation. But as the number of open(i.e. currently formed) games on softcore is 10-20 times higher than on hardcore, I guess it means that the total number of parties should be at least 100 times higher. But MP distribution is not equal on hardcore and softcore, hardcore players don't usually play mp10 too much, so the safe bet would be 1:20, i.e. 5%.
    The "created characters" official stats from blizzard is pretty close to this number as well.
    a
    So yeah, it's not as bad as one may think. But is not great as well. You can remove hardcore from the game and you won't even notice the difference in the number of players logged in monthly.

Of course I disagree

that's what personal opinions are for.

Here is a hint: the real hardcore play/economy opens up at lvl 60 with mats/crafts/gems selling at great profit.
    Always play with a back up of the same class, so death is only a side effect.
    Once you have 2 HC. lvl 60 the real game opens up.
    Always stock the leveling gear on the bank so you can power lvl in 20+ hours back to 60.

In HC your goals are much more important, like killing D in Inferno with a well constructed economy.
    id agree with you if lag or rubber banding wasnt a factor. blizz servers are so garbage i hardly see the fun in rebuilding a toon just because of a lag spike.. anyway
    i dont find diablo in infero a difficult boss btw.. belial is much more of a cunt just because of his massive poison explosion and how it can cover most of the room. his fist slaps are more deadly and rather unpredictible.. too.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    id agree with you if lag or rubber banding wasnt a factor. blizz servers are so garbage i hardly see the fun in rebuilding a toon just because of a lag spike.. anyway
    I never had problems with blizzard servers. I remember few server-side disconnects, but it is pretty safe because you can't die while the server is offline

If you have any problems with blizzard servers it's either your computer or your provider.

If you have packet loss or high latency to blizzard servers you'll have lags and disconnects and blizzard has nothing to do with it.

i dont find diablo in infero a difficult boss btw.. belial is much more of a cunt just because of his massive poison explosion and how it can cover most of the room. his fist slaps are more deadly and rather unpredictible.. too.
    On hardcore it does not work like that.
    My last 5-6 hardcore characters never killed neither belial nor diablo and never set a foot to act4. Some of them never even left act1 - why bother if experience and drops per hour are pretty much the same and act1 is slightly safer?
    Bosses are not a threat to hardcore characters, you have too much survivability, you can safely ignore most if not all the boss mechanics. If you have to run away from belial fists, your character is not ready for hardcore. You should mitigate this damage and heal up immediately with your regen,lph or lifesteal.
    The only problem is - there is no single point to kill bosses in diablo. So no one does.

To be honest I'm shocked anyone could return.

Through blizzards on admissions the RMAH hurts the game and yet, it remains in the game to continue hurting the game.

Knowing that alone would keep me away if everything else was great but sadly I can't say that either.

Deleted
    Im excited which is saying something. There are very few games I actually look forward to and this is one of them. I also liked D3 but it just got so boring after a while as there was nothing to do except farming. The paragon system made it a bit interesting for a while but even that didn't work for long as 99.99% of all items I found were worthless..

The expansions seems to fix a lot of these problems. Gear gets account bound, less drops, paragon works for all characters (less farming if you have alts) more builds.

Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    I really doubt that it's true. Should be around 5%, maybe less.

While hardcore players prefer to play together because it raises the chance to survive disconnect and the number of public games per hardcore player is probably higher than the number of public games per sogtcore player, the number of players playing hardcore is still extremely low.

At some point blizzard changed the way they display the "games available for you". Now it means the number of open games you can join. I.e. the number of games with 3 characters or less.
    Considering that Blizzard party matching system is always trying to form 4-ppl parties by adding new people to existing parties instead of creating new ones, it means that no matter how many players are playing the game currently, the number of "open" games will always be low.
    100 parties running on hardcore, 5 not full parties --> 5 parties available
    100.000 parties running on softcore, 5 not full parties --> 5 parties available.

It's really hard to make any assumptions in this situation. But as the number of open(i.e. currently formed) games on softcore is 10-20 times higher than on hardcore, I guess it means that the total number of parties should be at least 100 times higher.ly.
    wrong dude: the new public group forming in hardcore is 15 % to 20% of the public softcore group forming these days.

Just log in and see that the average on prime time in hardcore is 600+ in EU, while the softcore is around 3500.

Considering most hardcore don't play in public groups but play hardcore solo mode or private games....

You can easely see that hardcore these days is AT LEAST 20% of the softcore numbers.

On Blizzards yearly overview it was around 11% HC already, but the longer people play HC became more and more important.

OWNED big time with in game figures even...

Last edited by BenBos; 2013-08-26 at 04:41 PM.

wrong dude: the new public group forming in hardcore is 15 % to 20% of the public softcore group forming these days.

Just log in and see that the average on prime time in hardcore is 600+ in EU, while the softcore is around 3500.
    I spend some time explaining you why this number can't be used to reliably estimate the number of current public games. The difference will be exponential, not linear.
    Read my post again if you don't understand it.

If you still don't believe it - write a simple program with random "joining" and "leaving" events and have a look yourself.
    You can even create a simple semi-random test on a piece of paper. With 10 and 100ppl joining and leaving. Won't take a lot of time to see the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

On Blizzards yearly overview it was around 11% HC already, but the longer people play HC became more and more important.
    And fail again.
    Blizzard stated the number of created characters on hardcore and softcore.

You create one character per class on softcore because there is no reason to create more. Most people have just 2-3 softcore characters. I have 5.

Hardcore players create at least 5 times more characters than softcore players. Why? Because their characters DIE. I created and killed at least 12-15 hardcore characters, some people have even more. Click on pretty much every hardcore player and you'll see that his hall of the fallen heroes is full. Add 1-2 mule characters per account because you need to put this leveling gear somewhere. And you'll get a picture of about 5 hardcore characters per 1 softcore.

The result is obvious - the number of players playing on hardcore is significantly less than 11%. They just create more characters.
    Again, it's no more than 3-5% of the total population.

Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    I spend some time explaining you why this number can't be used to reliably estimate the number of current public games. The difference will be exponential, not linear.
    Read my post again if you don't understand it.

If you still don't believe it - write a simple program with random "joining" and "leaving" events and have a look yourself.
    You can even create a simple semi-random test on a piece of paper. With 10 and 100ppl joining and leaving. Won't take a lot of time to see the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

And fail again.
    Blizzard stated the number of created characters on hardcore and softcore.

You create one character per class on softcore because there is no reason to create more. Most people have just 2-3 softcore characters. I have 5.

Hardcore players create at least 5 times more characters than softcore players. Why? Because their characters DIE. I created and killed at least 12-15 hardcore characters, some people have even more. Click on pretty much every hardcore player and you'll see that his hall of the fallen heroes is full. Add 1-2 mule characters per account because you need to put this leveling gear somewhere. And you'll get a picture of about 5 hardcore characters per 1 softcore.

The result is obvious - the number of players playing on hardcore is significantly less than 11%. They just create more characters.
    Again, it's no more than 3-5% of the total population.
    Your LOGIC FAILS.

When I SEE with my own eyes we had 730(!) - record high - new EU hardcore groups being formed this evening and 4300 new softcore groups being formed at the same time it is EASY to see the ratio is between 1-5 / 1-6 playing hardcore to softcore.

CERTAINLY when you would know the VAST majority of hardcore players won't enter PUBLIC (random) grouping.

Is it THAT difficult to understand ???

The SAME "figures, the SAME night, the same moment.

You are trying to trash talk anything I say while blowing nothing at all really.

BTW: just a FEW months ago that ratio was almost 10/1 and these days that ratio is now down to 5/6 to 1.

So you even LIED 2 posts earlier saying the ratio was 20 to 1. Explain to me why you would even lie about those numbers anyone can see.

I quote your OWN words "... But as the number of open(i.e. currently formed) games on softcore is 10-20 times higher than on hardcore"
    Anyone can see that ratio IN game dude.

And it is 5-1 at best, 6-1 at worst , not your "fake" "10 to 20 times higher". When was the last time you even entered this game? Six months ago (when 10 to 1 indeed was true) ?

So why even lie about it, IF ANYONE can see these numbers I wonder....
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-08-26 at 09:52 PM.