Poll: Are racial abilities in need of homogenization or complete removal? » Pos

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are racial abilities in need of homogenization or complete removal?

Thread title says it all. Do you think it's time for Blizz to make the racials equal with equivalent abilities across the board, or outright remove them making races a purely cosmetic choice? Or on another side of the spectrum - should they change racials to be more unique without fear of balance issues?

It should be a "pick two", with stuff divided into 'dps' and 'pvp/fun/control' categories. Pick one from each.

That lets some extra player choice kick in, toss in a goldsink for 'racial resensitivity training', call it good.

I'd like for racials to be brought in line with each other. I usually don't worry about min/maxing things, but it does kinda suck to know that I'm basically making myself do less damage depending on what race I pick.

At this point racials are mostly irrelevant and useless. Having those 15 extra profession points or a small 2% in increased damage is quite useless. I'm for removing them.

Passive racials (1% X, etc) need to go. Period.

Active, defining racials (IE Goblin Rocket Jump) should be expanded upon and dished out to more races. They don't need to have any real practical effect in combat, but choosing a race should mean something. They all have their own flavor, attitudes, jokes, etc. We need more of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    No, they just need to put useful ones on the blue side without taking away the useful ones on the red side. I know, it's asking them to move a mountain, blah blah etc. etc.
    Actually, the most overpowered racial is the Human Racial, EMFH, as it saves a trinket spot.

That's pretty OP in PvP.

I vote to remove racials completely, or only make them have some cosmetic abilities, like if you're a Tauren you plant some flowers or something.

Deleted
    Short answer; No.

Long Answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, PLEASE!

Good answer: No - the difference in the racial passives are great, and they add (an illusion? x)) of choice to the player in terms of customization. HOWEVER, i do agree that the x% passives have got to go. Give everyone a few actives and, to be honest, one of the most "lore-correct" passive are the goblin discount passive.
    rather than homogenization or removal, they should be revamped (again...).

It only has a use in pvp, and with ilvl normalisation it loses its narrow gain considerably. For everything else that isn't removing CC in a pvp encounter (that cannot be dispelled) berserking and blood fury are much better.
    Yeah, 1/3 of the top (2.2k+) PvPers are human because of a "narrow gain". Having an extra DPS trinket is insanely good, you can pop 1 with a small CD and CC to force an opponent's trinket and then go full burst with your second trinket. Not a narrow gain at all.

I'm all for removing stuff like BF/Berserk/EMfH. The thing is, where do you draw a line? Rocket jump is pretty fun but would be OP unless other classes get something similar. Aside from that, +15 in a skill makes leveling it alot smoother actually, don't see a need to remove those. Just try leveling engi on a gnome and then on another character, the difference is definitly noticeable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fnfal View Post
    It should be a "pick two", with stuff divided into 'dps' and 'pvp/fun/control' categories. Pick one from each.

That lets some extra player choice kick in, toss in a goldsink for 'racial resensitivity training', call it good.
    I've basically had this idea as well. People should be able to pick their perks and get it over with

IMHO: there should be more racials, but they shouldn't help you with combat.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    No point removing them now. The damage has been done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep racials, but only make them non-combat effects. Stuff like Cannibalize, or Darkflight if it was changed to only work out of combat. Aesthetic and funnish, but still some racial flavor.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

So 1/3 of the top ranked pvpers are human and the overwhelming majority, 2/3 are not. Your argument lost all its water with that statement alone, or do you somehow think because the other 2/3 are varied it comes down to humans being better than their components? More people went with non-humans than humans despite the "super OPness of their racial"...
    Okay, let me give you this link: http://www.worldofwargraphs.com/stat...0-0-0-2-0.html

Get my point now? 31.1% humans, I did the math for you, 22.9% of those are druids/shaman (although this includes horde druids/shamans). Getting an extra dps trinket over an AP/haste increase (vastly inferior for ferals, rogues and monks to agi trinkets) is way better. Ofcourse there's the people who want to play the race that is visually most to their liking (like me). Humans have by far the best racial for PvP, any PvPer is gonna agree.

It's hard to compare humans to a horde race since humans can have so many classes. Undead comes closest but they can't have paladins which are fairly popular aswell (10.6% it includes pot palas but I assume they're just in their different spec). I'll agree other Alliance racials suck ass, but ~62% of 1 factions population going human means something has to change.

Edit: I also never said anything like "super OP" I just disagreed with you calling it a narrow gain and mentioned how ir is actually quite useful with an example.
    Last edited by ophion1990; 2013-08-24 at 08:01 AM.

iirc Method switched to Horde because their racials are better in PvE, so yeah.

Horde racials are vastly superior to Alliance in PVE and Human EMFH is the best for PVP. How's that balanced?

I don't participate in high-end PVE or PVP, so I play the races I like. Mainly Night Elves. I like their aesthetics and really like Shadowmeld - it's very useful for questing and soloing and really fun in PVP to hide and ambush or to negate caster burst when silenced or to quickly remount during combat.

Racials need to be normalized. Every race should have a little damage bonus and some fun useful mechanic. Like 1% haste and Rocket Jump, 1% mastery and Shadowmeld, 1% crit and Darkflight, an equivalent to 0.5% secondary stat of Intellect and Escape Artist, but the damage bonuses should be more equal or be removed altogether. With the current cooldown stacking proliferation the on use damage racials need to be toned down. Things like Trolls' increased damage to beasts are unacceptable in high-end PVE. EMFH should be removed or made sure to not be exploitable. Or by buffing the stats on Medallions.
    Last edited by Nightfall; 2013-08-24 at 08:18 AM.

It's an RPG

I think we need more RPG elements

Homogenization and removal are both bad because it removes flavor. If they need to change racials that give stats or damage boosts then make them more utility based like Dark Flight or Rocket Jump.

Having some good non-combat racials would be nice as well, things like Diplomacy or Two Forms or Hobgoblin and fun and unique. Profession bonuses could use a revamp since they're boring as is. Have Gem Cutting give a chance to recover a socketed gem, or have Better Living Through Alchemy double flask/elixir.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should just tune the less popular ones, so that they are comparable to the good ones.
    And remove or change the useless ones.

So 1/3 of the top ranked pvpers are human and the overwhelming majority, 2/3 are not. Your argument lost all its water with that statement alone, or do you somehow think because the other 2/3 are varied it comes down to humans being better than their components? More people went with non-humans than humans despite the "super OPness of their racial"...
    Humans can't play Shamans, or Druids, and half the player base is Horde.

Easy answer: remove all racials.

Hard answer: make sure every race has a useful passive for pvp and pve.