Page 12 of 62 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    25% in 2 years work? This means we won't be getting new character models for another 6 years.

Me, along with a lot of people were probably expecting the new models for the next expansion, and if they don't seriously pick up the pace, that won't happen then.....

There is of course that this is a massive curveball and the character models will be coming for the next expansion after all.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Exactly, for some reason people just think models just come out of thin air. It definitely is the people's fault if they assumed this was coming out in MoP, Blizz never stated that, but people just start mixing up their hopes with facts.
    The same people wonder why we're kept in the dark when it comes to new features.

Until now, the only information we were given included:
    "Dwarves are underway," and
    "We're working on it"

Almost literally the very least they could tell us. We get a status update a few months later, and everyone grabs their pitchforks.

Now, TBH, 25% can mean a lot of things, depending on whether or not certain phases are done concurrently or if they're just working on each model consecutively. It'd be easier to work on them consecutively, leaving up at 5/20 Vanilla or 6/24 +BC. If they have some of the basic assets built, progress can accelerate a little bit, the next 25% may not take as long as the first.

*shrug* you'd think some news is better than no news around here.
    Last edited by Bashkar; 2013-08-24 at 06:19 PM.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    At this point "character model rework" is just a cock tease. Blizz would be better off starting from scratch on a new engine. Yeah, you'll get new character models, but will you really be able to enjoy it in zones like Elywnn Forest or the Barrens?
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

.... The fuck did I just read?
    The over popular scene when Hitler is pissed over the officers? Kind of measures my dissapointment over the incopetence.
    PvE is a minigame // Rerolled from affly to spriest after 8 years, thx pandaland changes

The Insane
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    And the preview-deal could end up recreating a female worgen situation where people will just keep raging that the models look super-ugly and don't fit until Blizzard completely botches them up, and people will be begging for the older model (that they said was super ugly) to come back.
    That will happen no matter what. When they release the new models, a lot of people will cheer and a lot of people will boo. You simply can't please everyone. You can be 1000% sure that a lot of people will be angry to "loose" their old character because of nostalgia and other reasons.

The only way Blizzard can avoid this is if they do like DAoC did when they made new models, you as a player could decide on whether or not you wanted to play as an old or new model, which in turn also changed how all the other player models looked -but then again, this was more or less because they'd added a brand new grapics engine...
    *broken link*
    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefudge View Post
    Here comes the hate from the jaded people who make assumptions and ignore the fact that Blizzard has never made any promises regarding the progress of the character models or given any indication that they would be done any time soon.
    I can' post links but you can find the links out there if you don't want to take my word..

From 10/22/2011: To paraphrase his statement -- which isn't too different from what I've said here on the forums before -- we absolutely plan on updating the existing models. As Chris mentioned, we want to make sure we preserve the look and feel of the original models players have come to know and love, while vastly improving their model and animation quality to be more in-line with the newer races.

We're not going to hide behind the statement that too many players will get mad if we tamper with their models, but it's a concern -- not a concern that's going to stop us from doing it, however. I want to stress as well that it's a massive undertaking to go back and do this. And to a lot of people it's something that won't be considered shiny new content. But not only do we hear the masses of players calling for this update, we really feel it's time to bring them up to par with newer models as well.

The game continues to age, but as we have no plans of slowing down on development any time in the near future, we want to keep updating and polishing it to stand the test of time (again, without sacrificing the look and feel which has brought players in over the years).

So almost 2 years ago they felt it was time to bring them up to par with the newer models, hearing from them today they're at 25%? Hah.

Blizzard also was asked about updated character models in 2012 before MoP release (almost a year after the previous announcement) and they responded by saying that the dwarven models were about complete and might be released after MoP was out...although they later said they would rather release all models at once.

With today's announcement, they're either trolling and will then have a big announcement at Blizzcon
    or
    They're still putting it off and not even working on it, which is sad considering they already have updated most races updated in the form of NPCs between the last expansion and the current one.

Quote Originally Posted by CalasEU View Post
    You have to fit gear, dances and all sorts of crap into those new models. It's gonna take a while.
    This.

People think it's just gonna be ADD MOAR POLYCOUNT!!!!....No not how it works. At all.

Be patient people, I also bet you they're misleading us thinking they won't be here next xpac, and at blizzcon we'll see a reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Aight, I want new models too, everyone* does - but yeah, I'd still have actual stuff to do than admire the abs on my new orc model.

*Most people.
    As long as that actual stuff will be more than 'HC' dungeons, scenarios and looking for 'raid', I think we've reached a point of agreement.

The Insane
    Quote Originally Posted by Naztrak View Post
    The over popular scene when Hitler is pissed over the officers? Kind of measures my dissapointment over the incopetence.
    ... Nope, still makes no sense to bring Hitler, Stalin and the idea of killing people into a debate about pixels.
    *broken link*

We have Night Elves too (Malfurion, WotA Illidan and Tyrande).
    Oh okay so it's 14 models left.
    Thanks a bunch for the Signature, Cthulhu Ftagn.

How much effort have they put tho? maybe they can get it up to 65% in a week, so who knows, maybe it's the hardest 25%

A man can dream :/

new models would be nice, but i'd much rather they focused on content and treated updated models as a side project. It boggles my mind why some folk are so angry about this, does it really effect your experience? I'm just curious.
    "A warning has been given. Their fate is now their own"

I could be oh so wrong, but since when would Blizzard give out such exact numbers? "20%" -"oh, let's say 25"...bla bla. I call this nonsense.

And especially this sentence "We figure players would rather have some earlier than wait forever until they're all done. Not forever but, a longer time. Might feel forever. Blizzard soon.".
    As if they wouldn't know how players of races, that have to wait, feeling like "forever", wouldn't stop spamming the forums with "not fair, ect.".

I say they have them ready for next expansion and are just teasing the players, the whole tone of this part of the interview screams like they are just building up
    tension, in order to say, when revealing the next expansion - " big surprise, new player models, we just wanted to have at least one big surprise, as most things, like
    name of expansion (and probably more 'till BlizzCon) have been 'investigated', leaked,...beforehand anyway"

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    TC: "Um, 20% maybe?"
    CS: "Yeah 25%, maybe 25. That could be a safe number."
    TC: "But yeah, there's a long way to go. And I also don't know that, when we launch the new character models, I don't know that they'll all be done at the same time. We'll probably have a good number of them done, and we'll launch those, and we'll continue to update more throughout the patch cycle. We figure players would rather have some earlier than wait forever until they're all done. Not forever but, a longer time. Might feel forever. Blizzard soon."

And yes, I have read the full Interview, I of course might be wrong. But if they have 75% still to do, let's say 25% take 2 years, than we could expect the new models in 6 years minimum. And they probanly know theirselfes that this might be a bit too long.

Plus, as stated before, the tone of the of the cited parts just screams "ha ha, we are just teasing you."

The Insane
    Quote Originally Posted by GuniorBinda View Post
    As long as that actual stuff will be more than 'HC' dungeons, scenarios and looking for 'raid', I think we've reached a point of agreement.
    The majority of people though, would want more HC's, raids and such. Though tell me, what would you like to do? Honestly, the game is almost 10 years old, and I can't really see what new features they could include at this point, well besides some of the dreadful "dynamic" events from GW2, but that's about it really.
    *broken link*

We have Night Elves too (Malfurion, WotA Illidan and Tyrande).
    Most of these models only have new skins and looks,the animation are very,very similar.The Jinyu on the other hand,while they use the Night Elf models,have new animations included,while the old ones are polished.If I'm not wrong,thats something everybody noticed when MoP launched.
    "UFO's are as real as the airplanes that are flying overhead." - Paul Hellyer,former Minister of Defense of Canada

Awww, and I was hoping to have my ugly first-made character looking pretty soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Turmoill View Post
    Oh okay so it's 14 models left.
    I'm honestly sick of this communities bitching at every turn anymore. It's really disgusting how much the community has evolved into this QQ whine/bitch fest. Seriously. No one has patience anymore, everyone wants everything now. I doubt we'll need to wait more than 1 - 2 years tops for these. And don't give me that bullshit it'll take 6 more years because 25% at 2.

#1 they could easily be lying

#2 they have been super focused on next xpac

#3 they plan on working on them more once the next xpac is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    This.

People think it's just gonna be ADD MOAR POLYCOUNT!!!!....No not how it works. At all.

Be patient people, I also bet you they're misleading us thinking they won't be here next xpac, and at blizzcon we'll see a reveal.
    The amount of you defending this is so entertaining.

Im cool with this, im hoping they are putting less resources into models and more into the online shop, so hopefully by the next expansion the shop will be big enough full of goodies for me to go bankrupt in!

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    What? You don't like more wolf-like appearances, just plain BETTER customization options (not to mention more of them), cool glowing eyes, and a face that doesn't look like a chihuahua wearing make-up?
    I don't want to look like amy winehouse covered in hair and malnourished, yes