Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    There is scientific data (seriously) that proves that "cartoony" characters are more futureproof than an attempt at realistic ones, and that people prefer the look opposed to a realistic one for longer periods of time. Yeah the character looks a bit Disney lol, but the game isnt even in beta yet and that was a Demo, it could change. I dont mind it except the facial feature looks too Disney.
    Sure, sure, it's nothing wrong with a cartoony look.

But still....

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    that lion thing...
    So horrible, so ugly....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmotroof View Post
    wow's combat is unnecessarily cluttered and bloated. it's a model that is on the way out. automatically morphing abilities like gw2 and combos like gw2 and teso are the future.

people are sick of watching a fucking UI while the game goes on around them

If you hate WoW so much, and want to dick ride GW2 devs, get the fuck off from a Warcraft forum, and migrate to a gw2 forum, maybe? Also, as a sidenote, have you considered that maybe it's just you that is "sick of watching a fucking ui while the game goes on around..." you? That's not a combat problem, that's just you not being very good at WoW...

--Someone who hated GW2 combat system

Deleted
    i will say No. wow subs will fall, but will not be because of ESO, at most a combined effort of ESO and Wildstar. But will most likely not be because of them but rather just that wow is dyeing of old age. That being said, the sub based will probaly help wow, Since i am god damn tired of sub each mouth, wanna hear what? IF i can try the game(like i never got to try finale fantasy online) i wont buy it, Why would i use 40+15 euro to test a game, i just wait 7 mouths and it will go free to play

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim...-v-statistics/

this is from 13 months ago (date of verification) but i've read "sold 13 million copies" and i've read "shipped 10 million copies" and everything else
    digital vs physical, who knows, steam is used to activate both, they don't say how many they sold via steam, we know millions and millions of physical copies have been sold

either way, the 86/14 split of console/pc games is all i've seen on the matter and the way bethesda sucked microsoft's dick with all the early releases says the console market was more important
    that's what i thought, i know that site, it does not take digital sales into account. you can pretty much multiply the number of skyrim sold on PC by 3 or 4. People buys their game on steam now, skyrim has been almost consistently on the top 10 best seller on steam for the past 2 years.
    i would roughly anticipate a 40/40/20 split of skyrim between PC/Xbox360/PS3 possibly more on PC.

Remember, steam is kind of a thing on PC now, you can't just ignore the number of game sold through that plateform anymore.
    Last edited by Vankrys; 2013-08-24 at 11:36 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    ESO is delusional if they think their game is going to magically resurrect the support model. There have been SO MANY examples of games wanted to provide "the premium experience only a subscription can offer" only to fall flat on their faces.

I understand it's really the first MMO to tap into the console market, but don't console-folk already have to pay for online services like Xbox Live? Are the expected to pay ESO's subscription fee on top of that? I wonder how they'll feel paying 35 bucks every month.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    ESO is delusional if they think their game is going to magically resurrect the support model. There have been SO MANY examples of games wanted to provide "the premium experience only a subscription can offer" only to fall flat on their faces.

I understand it's really the first MMO to tap into the console market, but don't console-folk already have to pay for online services like Xbox Live? Are the expected to pay ESO's subscription fee on top of that? I wonder how they'll feel paying 35 bucks every month.
    the first?

FF11
    FF14
    Defiance

and that just the one i know. They have been MMOs on console before.

Nope, again there is no such thing as a "WoW Killer"

Frankly I believe that no new MMO can successfully enter the market as sub-based.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    the first?

FF11
    FF14
    Defiance

and that just the one i know. They have been MMOs on console before.
    FF11 and FF14 were pretty big failures (not counting relaunch) and Defiance was not sub-based. DCUO was a console MMO that wasn't too successful with a sub too.

Quote Originally Posted by Elapsed View Post
    Remember SWTOR tried it, a lot of us thought it was the second coming as well. It failed and went F2P and isn't doing great in that regard either. Sub based MMOs don't have a market it feels like anymore, people want micro transactions and a much more casual experience. Hope ESO is cool though
    Pretty much sums up every MMO going in with a sub at this point, though I will agree Sub based games do offer better quality in the long run. I doubt the game will make a huge impact on WOW honestly, like the past games to try very few have kept subs for long.

Can it get a decent sub base though to avoid F2P like the others? Maybe, but I see F2P coming in at some point.

Same thing applies to The Elder Scrolls Online and while I get it has a big following, but it does worry me about the long term goals of it.

Bottom line is let any game try Subs for a while, if that doesn't work (and probably wont) then go F2P. Offer Free Trials for the game early though, too many MMO's avoid giving a trial early on and that kills off some of the people that wanted to try it at the start.
    Last edited by Moonky; 2013-08-25 at 12:18 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by torterra275 View Post

Frankly I believe that no new MMO can successfully enter the market as sub-based.

FF11 and FF14 were pretty big failures (not counting relaunch) and Defiance was not sub-based. DCUO was a console MMO that wasn't too successful with a sub too.
    so because they failed as you say, they have never existed, they have been erased from the collective memory?
    what is this, george orwell 1984's department of truth?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    There is scientific data (seriously) that proves that "cartoony" characters are more futureproof than an attempt at realistic ones, and that people prefer the look opposed to a realistic one for longer periods of time. Yeah the character looks a bit Disney lol, but the game isnt even in beta yet and that was a Demo, it could change. I dont mind it except the facial feature looks too Disney.
    It's very Lion King in nature. I wonder if the same people that went after Pandas will say the same thing about it. Sort of doubt it but we'll see. I don't think it's ugly or anything but yeah...Lion King.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I think a lot of people when bashing TESO often tend to forget that WoW was launched with a ton of bugs, uncompleted zones and unfinished quests. If WoW launched today the same way it went live in 2004, it would have a high chance of simply crashing.

People are looking to compare a game that has been out for over 8 years to a newly released game.

But regarding your questiong OP, I think it will definitely hurt WoW. SWTOR may not be the best example now but back then activity dropped a lot on my realms well at least the first few months. Most importantly there are not many that can maintain two active subscriptions for both games.

But a lot of people that I had played with were really looking forward towards the release of TESO. I quit WoW a few months back primarily cause of it. I just feel it was worth investing any more in the game especially at its current state.

Blizzard may just be smart and release the annual pass this year at Blizzcon thus holding onto a wast majority of their player base.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    People are looking to compare a game that has been out for over 8 years to a newly released game.
    Of course they are if they're deciding which one to choose at the same cost per month. That's one of many reasons why a lot of the others that have come along have had a hard time. WoW has a ton of 'inventory' if you will. It's something that other games have difficulties coming even close to on launch. Not to mention bugs which I think everyone shares pretty equally but Blizzard certainly has a huge head start there too.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by torterra275 View Post

Final Fantasy 11 failed? Game is older than WoW and still maintains a steady subscription. Heck a new expansion is coming out

With your logic, Dark Age of Camelot and EVE online failed too. At least their subs are nowhere near as volatile as WoW's

so is the general consensus between wowlovers that people aren't quitting wow in DROVES to play other MMORPGs, they're just quitting gaming completely?

is that seriously it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by daltron View Post
    Final Fantasy 11 failed? Game is older than WoW and still maintains a steady subscription. Heck a new expansion is coming out

With your logic, Dark Age of Camelot and EVE online failed too. At least their subs are nowhere near as volatile as WoW's
    Anything that didn't kill wow is considered a "failure"

Deleted
    Since i don't know what "ESO" is my guess would be no.

Quote Originally Posted by kreebs View Post
    Since i don't know what "ESO" is my guess would be no.
    elder scrolls is that IP that started back before your family had a computer

I can't see myself putting a sub into ESO since they have 0 raid content. Seems mostly pvp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We have had multiple threads of white people complaining that black people were offended over some racist thing some white person said.
    Here we have a thread of white people offended over something some racist black person said.
    The key difference is that the white people in this thread aren't being told "shut up stop being offended get over it."

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

PCs are second rate nowadays, market is small, more expensive and more complicated to appease, etc
    Ah yes the PC is dying Argument. I believe it's older than the WoW-is-Dying Argument too

I have MANY friends with Xbox 360, PS3 and a PC and they all get played equally.

The story is already too forced for me. I'm not even a huge Elder Scrolls buff but I know that putting them into three separate factions after Skyrim, and with the race-to-faction choices, isn't really even remotely sensical. I can't see it being any better than Ragnarok Online 2. (A very unfortunate wow clone vaguely based off an old, 2d MMO.)