Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    People go to Sydney to see the Opera House, the design of which was chosen (well, after it had been discarded by other judges in the competition) by a Finnish architect, and designed by a Danish one. So, a bit of a European touch there as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    i was responding to the guy advocating tearing down old building (history heritage one) to make space for skyscrapers, the sydney opera house has it's architectonic and design value. but if you ask me would you tear down the coliseum in rome to make space for a sydney opera house like building? i'd say NO!
    Also i don't think there are many peoples that embark in a 22 hours flight to go and see the sydney opera house or another skyscraper you have listened, or at last not has much as those who take an holiday to specifically go and see the old heritage monuments all around european capitals, buckingham palace, tour eiffel, the coliseum, the brandenburg gate and many many more.
    I wouldn't tear down old historic beautiful buildings/monuments to make way for new skyscrapers either. I just wanted to make sure we weren't discounting the beauty and tourism value of modern structures either.

I was much more excited to see the Sydney Opera House than I was to see Buckingham Palace, for example, though I was more excited to see many of the various buildings around Paris than the Sydney Opera House. I traveled to Australia to SCUBA dive the Great Barrier Reef, but I made sure I took extra time so that I could go see Sydney, much of the appeal of which was the Circular Quay, including the Opera House.

It should be noted, though, that the Eiffel Tower isn't much older than the Empire State Building, and when it was first constructed the Parisians thought it was an ugly eyesore on their beautiful city.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    People go to Sydney to see the Opera House
    You serious? they go for other reasons, and once they are there they check it. Sydney is crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by larrakeyah View Post
    You serious? they go for other reasons, and once they are there they check it. Sydney is crap.
    Sydney is fucking awesome. I don't know why you'd say it's crap.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Sydney is crap.
    I'm pretty sure Sydney is a city.

You serious? they go for other reasons, and once they are there they check it.
    Perhaps if you read the thread a bit more carefully you'll see it wasn't me who said that at first. I was responding to the statement, but clearly I should've used a quote as not using it seems to have been too confusing. It's just that I can't quote people who I've ignored, nor would I if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Thankfully yours and my town will get a relift for its 400 year celebration or whatever it was with more empahis of ppl actually living smack in the central of the city as well as more open spaces such as parks etc.
    Yeah, there is a lot of things going on atm. It's kind of a hobby of mine lol. When I got the time I try to sneak down to Älvrummet and listen to the lectures, last one I heard was Dr Ann McAfee a few weeks back. Vancouver seems to be the City that our city use as inspiration the most. She has been over here a few times now. The most telling is probably the fixfabriken area that is owned by Balder and HSB where the architects has been very clear with where they've gotten their inspiration(small local firm).

From 1974 to 2006, Dr. McAfee worked for the City of Vancouver as Co-Director of Planning, Director of City Plans, and Senior Housing Planner. During her thirty years at the City, Dr. McAfee was responsible for Vancouver’s Housing Programs from 1974-1988. From 1994 – 2006 she was responsible for Strategic Planning including guiding the extensive public process leading to adoption of "CityPlan" – Vancouver’s first city-wide plan since 1930. Ann was also responsible for City input to regional planning; co-managing with Engineering and Finance city-wide plans for industry, transportation, financing growth, and sustainability; plans for sustainable suburbs; and Vancouver’s Business Improvement Program.

In mid 2006, Dr. McAfee established City Choices Consulting, a firm specializing in advice on strategic planning and public processes.
    Dr. McAfee has advised cities in North America, China, Philippines, Mexico, Brazil, Poland, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Ukraine, and Ethiopia on strategic planning.
    You can have your say on the Västlänken train stations now btw if you feel like it. It's out for "samråd". ;P

There was a new little model in the pdf that came with the västlänken shit(yellow = underground train = västlänken)

Kvillebäcken is almost finnished btw, most houses are up and most apartments are sold. The real estate owners of the land in backaplan presented their view of the new backaplan last month, looked very promising, the plan was drawn up by BDP, british architect and engineering firm.

I would like to see more of this...

and a bit less of this....

Give me good old brickstone. I got a weakspot for it. lol
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...