Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Epic! Fullmetal89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Between the Spiral and Anti-Spiral dimensions.
    Posts
    1,579
    I've always had a soft spot for Nintendo the first video game I ever played was Super Mario 64 on the fresh N64 when it first was released. Been a gamer ever since, and boy do I miss the glory days of Nintendo platformers on the N64. The kiddies that talk shit about Nintendo don't know how big of an influence it was for console gaming. Super Nintendo + N64 are the reasons why Sony and Microsoft found the console market viable. While I'm not a big fan of the Wii or WiiU, don't like the controls. I still support them when ever they release something I like. I bought a Wii just to play Xenoblade Chronicles and Zelda back in the day, and I still have my Gamecube (which is only second to the PS2). Presently I've only been buying their 3DS games, If you haven't played Fire Emblem: Awakening you are missing out (Pokemon: Conquest is also amazing for those Pokemon or strategy fans out there). Easily the best handheld game ever made. Throws me back to playing Final Fantasy Tactics and old Fire Emblem games.



    Quote Originally Posted by Sylf View Post
    I don't see that much hate aginst Nintendo as a company, people love their games and want to play them. The problem is that the nintendo consoles are not really that good, I love Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, supersmash donkey kong, metroid and more, but what it comes down too is that I don't feel the few interesting games are worth the cost of a completely new console.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylf View Post

    I think nintendo should become third party developers and focus on good games and stop with their consoles.


    I'm not sure if you are referring to them being bad in terms of design or quality. Because in terms of quality Nintendo is much more reliable than Sony or especially Microsoft. I've had almost every Nintendo console (except WiiU) and I've never had any problems with any of them. On the other hand my first PS2 broke within 3 months, and I went through 3 Xbox 360's red ring of death problems. I think Nintendo has become a niche developer and they do what they do better than anyone else, I wouldn't want them to go away. The more competition the better. I do think their WiiU had a pretty poor design, with the whole tablet focus. That and the fact that it launched with a very small library of games.
    Last edited by Fullmetal89; 2013-08-25 at 03:20 AM.
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right."
    -
    Issac Asimov, Foundation.

    Pokémon Safari: Rock Type (Magcargo/Barbaracle/Dwebble).
    FC: 0447-5673-4977
    MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Fullmetal89

  2. #22
    The Patient Bladivine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    I don't remember
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt View Post
    Actually he implied that things on the surface is not what makes for real gaming, but the experience behind the playing of the game.
    Yeah this.
    I see dead people and blood in my blades.

  3. #23
    Cause sega does, what nintenDONT!

    But really, what ever you find fun is a real gaming, if you decide playing pinball is the only real gaming, or angry birds, well that is just your cup of tea and nobody should try to force you into what they think is "real gaming"

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladivine View Post
    Do you have a nice experience when you are in a death match in COD? (obvoiusly exploring a new world)
    See what I did there?

    I just stated that real gaming is not limited to FPS, Blood, mature content and nice graphics.
    i agree with the not limited. but you said something like "real gaming is...", that's where i don't agree. And of course, only IMHO.

    but the dude having fun in a cod deathmach, a fifa game, a starcraft ladder or jumping left and right in front of his wii, he's having a good time, he's gaming.

    who's to say he's not "real gaming"
    is he "fake gaming" then.

    So i repeat what i say, there is no such thing as "real gaming" and obsviouly, there is also no such thing as "fake gaming". there is only gaming. This is true for a cod player than a wiifit player.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylf View Post
    I think nintendo should become third party developers and focus on good games and stop with their consoles.
    I disagree. The industry needs Nintendo, now more than ever.

    We need a company like Nintendo who isn't afraid to make risks to shake up the gaming industry to keep it fresh. We need a company that is willing to experiment with things like duel screens, motion controls, and glassless 3D gaming. Sony and Microsoft are too conservative in their business practices to do this. They focus too much on things like graphics and polygons and don't focus enough on unique and entertaining gameplay mechanics. Sure not everything Nintendo does sticks (Hello Virtural Boy) but at least they are willing to try.

    Nintendo's recent push to build up their Indi Game portfolio, I think, is a match made in heaven. You have a company that is willing to experiment with hardware working with developers who like to experiment with software. I think that should be really exciting for all gamers.

  6. #26
    I guess the topic speaks for itself. It just seems that every time I read up on IGN, or other relative websites, that the comments are just filled with people absolutely hating on Nintendo for no apparent reasons. As a fan of both PC games, and Nintendo, I'm just curious as to why there's so much hate. Nintendo produces great stuff, without having to resort to violence, sexual themes, excessive cursing, or a need for blood-lust; So why do the fans on the other-side hate them so?
    There are a few reasons:

    1. They develop games and systems specifically to exploit the nature of children being able to get mommy and daddy to open their wallets, instead of developing games for a wider audience. It doesn't matter that having a second screen is redundant or motion controllers are gimmicky, kids eat that shit up.

    2. They've rehashed the same titles for the last ~30 years. It's getting really tiresome to see Mario # 15 doing the same tired shit he did back in 1984. It's shows a lack of originality, creativity, and innovation.

    3. They've never really grasped the depth of the hardware they build. It's always been about playing video games and video games only. Other media just doesn't get to share the same space as their consoles. Even their games tend to be unable to fully utilize the hardware they build.

    In the end, Nintendo has always been about gaming for people who don't really care about quality or depth, and that's a problem for people who do care about those things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin
    Why? Because fuck you, that's why.

    Every time you have a question that begins with "Why?" that is about what other people prefer to do with their own goddamn time, come back here, and reread the first row of this post. That will ALWAYS be the answer to your question. Have a nice day.

  7. #27
    Brewmaster Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Between my chair and keyboard
    Posts
    1,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylf View Post
    I don't see that much hate aginst Nintendo a a company, people love their games and want to play them. The problem is that the nintendo consoles are not really that good, I love Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, supersmash donkey kong, metroid and more, but what it comes down too is that I don't feel the few interesting games are worth the cost of a completely new console.

    I think nintendo should become third party developers and focus on good games and stop with their consoles.
    To me it isn't that I think they should just become developers, but that they need to stop releasing consoles that they expect to be carried simply by the Nintendo logo.
    They really need to front load a ton of their first party titles when they release a new console, or they will continue to fall short like WiiU. If that console had released with a new Mario, and Zelda, then followed shortly (a month or so) after with a new Metroid and Pokemon, then followed again shortly after with a new Smash Bros and Donkey Kong, and pushed hard to get more exclusives, they wouldn't be struggling so much. After their past few consoles, people don't want to risk there not being any solid titles 6 months to a year after release.
    When it was announced I was planning on buying a WiiU 6mo-1yr after launch if there were a bunch of solid titles, because I had a feeling that this exact problem would happen again.

  8. #28
    The Patient Bladivine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    I don't remember
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    i agree with the not limited. but you said something like "real gaming is...", that's where i don't agree. And of course, only IMHO.

    but the dude having fun in a cod deathmach, a fifa game, a starcraft ladder or jumping left and right in front of his wii, he's having a good time, he's gaming.

    who's to say he's not "real gaming"
    is he "fake gaming" then.

    So i repeat what i say, there is no such thing as "real gaming" and obsviouly, there is also no such thing as "fake gaming". there is only gaming. This is true for a cod player than a wiifit player.
    When I asked you that if you were having fun I expected an Yes, it doesn't matter if it was the fun cause it's competitive or the fun because it's fantasy, if you were having fun then it could be included as real gaming in my last post because you were having a nice experience.

    Now just for the record I do play CoD with friends, I love playing Fifa since I play soccer and I play Sc2 competitively on NA ladder.
    I see dead people and blood in my blades.

  9. #29
    Brewmaster Wiyld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Secret Underground Lair
    Posts
    1,467
    Nintendo started out awesome for a great many of us. I actually moved my NES today to a new storage spot, I even have the original packaging.

    I think a lot of the hate stems from the fact that so many of us started with Nintendo but were unable to justify staying with Nintendo. So many people wanted to believe that things would get better, that the stupid decisions would be reversed and we would see quality games and consoles come out.

    The Wii was an utter and complete failure. It lived on hype and the Nintendo name. It lived because soccer moms believed their kids would play that one and not be attracted to the 'mature' games on the other consoles.

    I was a manager at a gamestop during the peak of the Wii hype. I never once had a kid come in and ask for a Wii. I did however have moms waiting outside the store every fucking morning to bug me about buying a Wii. The same ones, every morning 'did you get any in last night?' "No, you know the UPS guy comes at noon so we didn't get anything after you showed up yesterday at noon, and then called at 1, and 3 and 5....'. I had many moms try to bribe me with money to 'put one aside' and yes, its super fucked up, but one offered to FUCKING SLEEP WITH ME FOR A WII. I didn't know what to say, that kinda shit happens in movies...not in real life.

    Nintendo did a great job of marketing their product. They had every mom in America convinced that little Billy was gonna stop sitting on his ass eating Doritos playing Halo and start hopping around the living room playing Wii tennis. So they sold the shit out of em. Know what happened then? 1 year later we stopped buying back used Wiis for a while becuase we had too many and no one would buy them. Little Billy returned the Wii mommy had spent 6 months trying to buy, so he could buy some more games for his Xbox.

    The games just sucked. If your target market is the 8-13 year olds then sure, the games are ok. But so so so so many more people bought into the hype, only to find out it was junk. Combine that with the multifunction capabilities of the other consoles, the online stuff with movies and other media and Wii didn't have a chance. Remember it came out when everyone in the US was buying a big ass new HD TV...but the Wii wasn't capable of HD output. The simple fact that the PS3 is one of the very best blueray players you can buy was enough to sell a whole ton of em to people who never even meant to play games on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

  10. #30
    The Patient Bladivine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    I don't remember
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    There are a few reasons:

    1. They develop games and systems specifically to exploit the nature of children being able to get mommy and daddy to open their wallets, instead of developing games for a wider audience. It doesn't matter that having a second screen is redundant or motion controllers are gimmicky, kids eat that shit up.

    2. They've rehashed the same titles for the last ~30 years. It's getting really tiresome to see Mario # 15 doing the same tired shit he did back in 1984. It's shows a lack of originality, creativity, and innovation.

    3. They've never really grasped the depth of the hardware they build. It's always been about playing video games and video games only. Other media just doesn't get to share the same space as their consoles. Even their games tend to be unable to fully utilize the hardware they build.

    In the end, Nintendo has always been about gaming for people who don't really care about quality or depth, and that's a problem for people who do care about those things.
    Your post is very Hipocrite since we could say similar things about the rest of the companies, besides calling Nintendo lack of Creativity, innovation etc.... it's a clear sign of ignorance.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    Nintendo started out awesome for a great many of us. I actually moved my NES today to a new storage spot, I even have the original packaging.

    I think a lot of the hate stems from the fact that so many of us started with Nintendo but were unable to justify staying with Nintendo. So many people wanted to believe that things would get better, that the stupid decisions would be reversed and we would see quality games and consoles come out.

    The Wii was an utter and complete failure. It lived on hype and the Nintendo name. It lived because soccer moms believed their kids would play that one and not be attracted to the 'mature' games on the other consoles.

    I was a manager at a gamestop during the peak of the Wii hype. I never once had a kid come in and ask for a Wii. I did however have moms waiting outside the store every fucking morning to bug me about buying a Wii. The same ones, every morning 'did you get any in last night?' "No, you know the UPS guy comes at noon so we didn't get anything after you showed up yesterday at noon, and then called at 1, and 3 and 5....'. I had many moms try to bribe me with money to 'put one aside' and yes, its super fucked up, but one offered to FUCKING SLEEP WITH ME FOR A WII. I didn't know what to say, that kinda shit happens in movies...not in real life.

    Nintendo did a great job of marketing their product. They had every mom in America convinced that little Billy was gonna stop sitting on his ass eating Doritos playing Halo and start hopping around the living room playing Wii tennis. So they sold the shit out of em. Know what happened then? 1 year later we stopped buying back used Wiis for a while becuase we had too many and no one would buy them. Little Billy returned the Wii mommy had spent 6 months trying to buy, so he could buy some more games for his Xbox.

    The games just sucked. If your target market is the 8-13 year olds then sure, the games are ok. But so so so so many more people bought into the hype, only to find out it was junk. Combine that with the multifunction capabilities of the other consoles, the online stuff with movies and other media and Wii didn't have a chance. Remember it came out when everyone in the US was buying a big ass new HD TV...but the Wii wasn't capable of HD output. The simple fact that the PS3 is one of the very best blueray players you can buy was enough to sell a whole ton of em to people who never even meant to play games on it.
    Wii was indeed a failure, but it should not be considered as the only console the company has produced.

    Anyways Id like to hear about that "id sleep with you for a wii" story.....
    I see dead people and blood in my blades.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladivine View Post
    When I asked you that if you were having fun I expected an Yes, it doesn't matter if it was the fun cause it's competitive or the fun because it's fantasy, if you were having fun then it could be included as real gaming in my last post because you were having a nice experience.

    Now just for the record I do play CoD with friends, I love playing Fifa since I play soccer and I play Sc2 competitively on NA ladder.
    i understand , we probably are very close in our vision of gaming but...

    if you use the term "real gaming", there for by definition there is a "fake gaming"
    there can't be a up, without a down, etc...

    so what would be "fake gaming"?

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerethepaladin View Post
    I guess the topic speaks for itself. It just seems that every time I read up on IGN, or other relative websites, that the comments are just filled with people absolutely hating on Nintendo for no apparent reasons. As a fan of both PC games, and Nintendo, I'm just curious as to why there's so much hate. Nintendo produces great stuff, without having to resort to violence, sexual themes, excessive cursing, or a need for blood-lust; So why do the fans on the other-side hate them so?
    i have a feeling it started with final fantasy.

    since final fantasy jumped to ps because cds were the only way to fit all the stuffs there have been people claiming nintendo is going to die
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  13. #33
    Mike Morhaime once shook hands with a Japanese man. The story found it's way to the internet, and a small portion of Blizzard hate passed on to Nintendo.
    They're = They are /\ Their = Possessive /\ There = Location
    You're = You are /\ Your = Possessive
    It's = It is /\ Its = Possessive
    I'm not a grammar Nazi; they used to police German, not English.

  14. #34
    Legendary! Tizzlefix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    6,736
    Quote Originally Posted by lizon View Post
    I don't hate Nintendo. I just want them to make a new Star Fox game.
    You filthy person, you just had to remind me, you just had to didn't you! My feelings for that franchise, oh the feelings. (not insulting)

    Nintendo is hated because they are the different one out of the Big Three console developers. Think about it in terms of this, when you play Emperor Battle for Dune, you think Atreides and Harkonen feel relatively the same sort of but Ordos? They are the weird guys, they are completely different.
    I'll take the sky any day.

  15. #35
    Herald of the Titans -Ethos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    2,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    The games just sucked. If your target market is the 8-13 year olds then sure, the games are ok. But so so so so many more people bought into the hype, only to find out it was junk.
    Wait, what? The Wii singlehandedly has the best array of multiplayer games of any system ive ever owned. Got a heap of friends over? Want to play a game on the PS3 that can fit more than two people? Good luck. Theres probably about 5 of them.

    5069-5224-8275 Pokemon Friend Safari - Ice: Lapras / Snorunt / Sneasel

  16. #36
    Scarab Lord Arkenaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,141
    Because it's cool to hate on the best and most popular things.

  17. #37
    Legendary! Tizzlefix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    6,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    i understand , we probably are very close in our vision of gaming but...

    if you use the term "real gaming", there for by definition there is a "fake gaming"
    there can't be a up, without a down, etc...

    so what would be "fake gaming"?
    He wasn't saying there is "real gaming", he was pointing out that others say there is "real gaming" and refer to CoD as "real gaming" when in fact... All gaming is real.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    Wait, what? The Wii singlehandedly has the best array of multiplayer games of any system ive ever owned. Got a heap of friends over? Want to play a game on the PS3 that can fit more than two people? Good luck. Theres probably about 5 of them.
    Little Big Planet being one of them, that game actually makes me angry with the people I play with, I find it so frustrating with others.
    I'll take the sky any day.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Hate for Nintendo is a lot like hate for WoW. You seem to remember this perfect gem though nostalgia but now they just "do it all wrong" according to old timers. Honestly Nintendo didn't change much, but rather the players got older and changed. My kids still love the living hell out of all Nintendo products just like I did when I was younger and at least the gives me the excuse to play the latest Zelda game.


    For me I personally drifted away from Nintendo when I got older and eventually just got more into PC gaming.
    ya but....u can still go back and play vanilla content...just without the bullshit talents/specs/grinds of vanilla. i.e. it wasnt nearly as good as we remember it (vanilla raider here...main tanked everything (which means i was a warrior cuz those were the only real tanks)

    but now...u can still go back and play mario, zelda, tecmo bowl, JACKAL (love it), etc. and guess what, theyre still as good as i remember, albeit slightly less challenging. speaking 8-bit titles here on the original console. (which was also my second console, had an intellevision first o.0)

    i think ur analogy is slightly off
    Last edited by SirReal; 2013-08-25 at 04:09 AM.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylf View Post
    I think nintendo should become third party developers and focus on good games and stop with their consoles.
    if you truly think this would happen you clearly dont know much about japanese buisness men.

    these are the people who said f it were making our own system when nintendo decided not to go with their cd system (sony)

    they are very proud people, IF and this is a serious if nintendo ever went 3rd party you can guarantee the games would be shitty as hell because all the people who have the biggest influence on their games would quit, many of them have said if it ever happened they would just retire.

    if nintendo got out of the console buisness what they would do is just make games for the 3ds.

    people complained about the wii well the 3ds is just a little bit better than the wii in terms of power so if they stopped making consoles all games would essentially become wii games.

    the wiiu may be in a tough spot now but the 3ds is the fastest and best selling console on the market, they are making tons of cash and have tons in reserves.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladivine View Post
    Ironically Nintendo were the founders of console gaming.
    Atari would like to have some words with you.


    As towards the topic, I've never had Nintendo hate, I'm a 90's kid, while my parents wouldn't let me own a console until after their divorce my friends had an NES and/or SNES and I got to play games with them. I had two friends that had some Sega consoles as well, like the Saturn, and when N64 came out I got one, as well as a Dreamcast when it came out. Nintendo used to have some really great games in its time (late 80's to like 2003/4), but for awhile they've been stuck so hard with keeping inside a handful of franchises that they've really painted themselves into a corner. That may be fine for them, their demographic is very young children, so everything they play for the most part is new and they won't have a lot or sometimes any past experience to compare titles they play against, allowing a bar to be set really low. There were a lot of things though that could have been done with the Wii that I'm sad never really happened. Microsoft and Sony attempted to get into that kind of market but never really did it was well as Nintendo did with the Wiimotes. Skyward Sword was a pretty good example of really immersing players with in the game. Saw plenty of people making comments about how they had to play the game in short sessions just because of the physical involvement, which sorta reminded me of old DDR sessions on PS2 and what not.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •