Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Yeah.... not so much the last two there... Pokemon is big - but it's sooooo not the "largest VG franchise ever". Largest VG franchise in Japan, perhaps. :P

And Nintendo's hardware the "highest quality on the market"? Ummmmm.... yeah... no.
    You can easily replace Pokemon with Mario and the statement is still true. Either way, Pokemon is not far behind Mario anyways.

Deleted
    I prefer pokemon tbh.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orkwuzhere View Post
    My gripe with Nintendo was that they whored out so many shitty gimmicks and nostalgia to get people to buy their games while their libraries were so lackluster for 2-3 generations (2 depending on how you feel about the N64/GCN). They spent so much time on their gimmicks like the useless E-reader, and I don't know what were they thinking with things like the F-Zero GX link to F-Zero AC (arcades started to die out once F-Zero AC/GX came out, so you were screwed with getting everything in the game).

The games despite one's love for nostalgia are just meh. New Super Mario has been the same game for 6 years with a few differences (same songs, same levels, same everything), and Mario Galaxy 2 was literally part 1 with Yoshis and Koopa Kids. Zelda has been meh, and while OoT was great in its day, it was really a 3d version of Link to the Past (I liked the game, but it's not the 2nd coming of Christ nor was it very original). Don't get me started on Other M and Krystal ruining their respective franchises (Krystal ruined Star Fox, and any dignity the series had). Brawl has one of the worst online modes I've played in years (Soul Calibur 4 is up there).

Now Nintendo is paying for their mistakes...which they're still learning from seeing how the Wii-U had a meh release (the Wii-U didn't need a tablet). Nintendo really has to drop the dumb gimmicks, and focus on the games.
    Gimmicks? Or rather brilliant ideas that made them a shit ton of money? If what Nintendo has done were gimmicks, then how come the Virtual Boy was a colossal failure? Why is it that people lineup in droves to buy a gimmick like the iPhone that has different colours and is only nominally more powerful? Gimmicks sell, whether you like them or not, because there are people who want something unique or something completely different from the usual schlock. Nintendo continues to produce good quality games, and their libraries have only dwindled because the amount of time it takes to make a game has increased. They pumped out games rather quickly during the N64 days, but they have reduced their output of games because of development time.