Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by YouAreAllWrong View Post
    There is a difference between re-releasing old games at the end of a consoles life span, and re-releasing a blockbuster game yet again to promote a brand new console.
    They're stepping on the love people have for old Nintendo games. It's like they say "Here is the new console, well we don't have games for it yet, but hey you do love Zelda right? Buy it again along with our new console"
    I get that, yeah, the same was done with the original DS (Mario 64 DS). But that's not to say the DS version of Mario 64 was rubbish. It had some new additions to it, and I enjoyed playing through it. It was the same game, really, but it didn't feel like it was. I haven't played Zelda DS so have no idea how it compares to the original.

Using Zelda is a guaranteed sell, I know, there is a hell of a lot of love for OoT just like there was Mario 64. But if they're not lazy remakes, I don't feel it matters. If it was a GoW style remake, it would be wrong.

& surely end of the lifespan would be now-ish. Remakes on all consoles came out a long time ago.. RE4, Halo, Okami, Prince of Persia etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-de...ation_consoles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_remakes

In my opinion nothings really pushing any boundaries right now, everything's just more of the same

I usually attribute it to a couple of things:

- 30 years of almost pure profit
    - most successful franchises of all time
    - Non nerd-rage fanbase.
    - Oldest kid on the block trying new things

Because Nintendo is doing the opposite of every other company.

Instead of going forward and trying to keep the fans/player base/buyers it has, it keeps rehashing the old games, adding half a new thing and maybe 2 hours of gameplay more, makes the graphics 10 pixels less and releases the same game over and over, and the games that are actually worth it, arent coming out fast enough (Zelda's etc).

Thats all there is, i never played console games seriously but from friends/cousins that do its simply that, the kids grow up and lose interest, and at a certain age which right now seems to be ~15 and up, people wake up and go "Oh the same, this is boring, lets buy a Xbox/PS".

Thats their only problem, they are still only aiming for ages 5-15 which arent experienced enough with the gaming world, moment people grow and discover the other consoles they start getting annoyed with Nintendo, along with the fact there are so many times a family can play Wii Sports etc, and its catching up, cause the 15-20 year old in the 2000's with N64 and everything and Gameboys and Pokemon and stuff, grew up and is 30 now, and has kids and right now all these 25-35 year olds are seeing the same game they played with better graphics but the same exact gameplay, and they switch to something new for them and their children, of course Pokemon will always sell massively, so handhelds are not counted ;D

My 15 year old cousin was exactly like that..3-4 years ago all he would care about was Nintendo, and old PS2 games because of his father influence, the only thing he cares about the last year is "Where to find money for PS4, League of Legends, and money for the next Pokemon", Wii U doesnt even exist in his brain, and this from a massive nintendo fanboy since he was 5 years old.

The company has done amazing things/games over the years but right now its falling behind quickly, they need new franchises, not the 20th Mario, or Mario Kart.

Or just make a Nintendo Pokemon MMO and it can catch up ;D
    Last edited by potis; 2013-08-26 at 09:32 AM.

Deleted
    I dont hate nintendo , however I do feel they have gone downhill since the Gamecube

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Dude... hold it right there! I could seriously argue the same thing about the Legend of Zelda franchise at this point!

OK - Halo 1 came out in 2001...

Here's a list of all the Zelda games since 2001

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
    The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past/four swords (partial rehash)
    The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

This is, of course, excluding spinoffs like

Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland
    Tingle's Baloon Fight
    Link's Crossbow Training
    Dekisugi Tingle Pack

This is ALSO excluding all the re-releases, such as Ocarina of Time for 3DS and the upcoming Wind Waker for Wii-U.

I'll say it once, and I'll say it again - I'd GLADLY love for Nintendo to drop their home console devision if it means we can have a GENERATION defining Legend of Zelda game again on a Sony/MS system instead of yet another average mediocre Zelda game on another Nintendo console.

Nobody is crying because Sonic is on another system... and they won't if Zelda went somewhere too.
    And aside from the older portable games, every Zelda game has had different mechanics and a different story, so what is your point? It doesn't change the fact that Halo has been the same fucking game in all 5 iterations. Oh, don't forget about the Halo: CE remake that came out not too long ago. You have fought the same enemy in every Halo game, with the same protagonist as well. If you don't know anything about the Zelda timeline, well, each game has taken place in different periods in the universe, pre and post Ocarina.

Deleted
    I grew up with nintendo so no hate from me.

I don't really like the wii and wii U that much, but their games are almost always quality games and that's what matters in the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't hate Nintendo, I dislike Nintendo fanboys in the same way I dislike any sort of fanboyism.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    It IS a lack of creativity and innovation when you crutch on the same game franchises for 30 years. It's even worse when your best version of that game franchise came out in 1993. On top of that, Nintendo has failed to produce a console which has competitive specs with Sony or Microsoft for the last 10 years. Instead, they focused on gimmicks as the main selling point.

We have a Wii. My 9 yr old would rather play games on his computer. Instead of asking for a Wii U for his birthday, he asked for an Xbox 360 with Orange box.

Does that tell you anything?
    Nintendo keep making Mario/Pokemon/Zelda because people want those games and people buy those games in the masses. You're saying that the Nintendo Wii was not innovative? The reason the Wii sold so many units despite the lower powered specs and dated graphics was due to the innovation it provided.

Best Mario game? Mario 64, but then other people on this site argued they liked Galaxy/Sunshine more and personally I'm a massive fan of the New Super Mario Bros. on the DS, and personally I think it is better than any of the SNES generation 2d Mario games. Its all down to personal opinion and using an arguement like "lol best Mario game came out 20 years ago" is not a valid point.

What does it tell us about your 9 year old that he wanted an Xbox? Same thing it tells you about anyone else who wants an Xbox or a PS3 or a PC, just because he's 9 years old it does not mean he should want a Wii U. Besides, the Wii U doesn't have any games, so it's not surprising people don't wan't it.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Nintendo keep making Mario/Pokemon/Zelda because people want those games and people buy those games in the masses. You're saying that the Nintendo Wii was not innovative? The reason the Wii sold so many units despite the lower powered specs and dated graphics was due to the innovation it provided.

Best Mario game? Mario 64, but then other people on this site argued they liked Galaxy/Sunshine more and personally I'm a massive fan of the New Super Mario Bros. on the DS, and personally I think it is better than any of the SNES generation 2d Mario games. Its all down to personal opinion and using an arguement like "lol best Mario game came out 20 years ago" is not a valid point.

What does it tell us about your 9 year old that he wanted an Xbox? Same thing it tells you about anyone else who wants an Xbox or a PS3 or a PC, just because he's 9 years old it does not mean he should want a Wii U. Besides, the Wii U doesn't have any games, so it's not surprising people don't wan't it.
    Don't bother bud, people will continue to argue this and will never grasp the concept of opinion but most importantly the difference in their perspective.

I swear we should be having threads like why is there not enough for PC gaming instead or something along those lines, or why do we hate Sony so much.

Because they're butthurt about how badly their company of choice, (Sony/Micro$oft) sucks by comparison

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there isn't really a lot of hate to Nintendo, the problem with Nintendo is that it have been a while since Nintendo had a good game for Wii U, so they are kind of being left behind

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    "Oh the same, this is boring, lets buy a Xbox/PS"
    haha

hahaha

HAHAHAHAH

BWAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

Sorry, the irony in that statement just blew my fucking mind.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love Nintendo grow up with Nintendo own a 3ds with most of the first party titles don't own a Wii U like not too many games came out for it but planning to get it one of this days!

Nintendo keep making Mario/Pokemon/Zelda because people want those games and people buy those games in the masses. You're saying that the Nintendo Wii was not innovative? The reason the Wii sold so many units despite the lower powered specs and dated graphics was due to the innovation it provided. -snip-
    Bullspit...

It was because it had a GREAT pricepoint and was released with a overhyped game called "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess" along with some other key franchises.

After that... sales stalled...

Now, people are just playing PS3/360 games until the next-gen shift happens. Nobody is developing any games for it (short of whatever next Skylanders incarnation). Nobody's batting an eye at their Wii that's covered in dust, and people have forgotten that the Wii-U even exists...

As I said in another thread, the best chance Nintendo has at this point is to re-launch the Wii-U at a lower -$199 pricepoint in Christmas 2014, along with a new QUALITY version of Zelda/Smash brothers and other franchises... and even THEN, all they're going to do is probably create a small pocket-fad burp during Christmas that will last them, at best, 6 months.

Edit: Of course, IMO, Nintendo's BETTER chance is to dump all their home console division into game development/portable development. Find a way to tie/connect the 3DS into the PS4/XBone (or be REALLY clever and get a company to pay for it via signing an exclusivity deal *Coughsonycough*). Now you have an expanded market much larger than your previous home market, PLUS that whole market is now connected to your portable market in a way never thought possible - all while REDUCING your expenses!

Oh, and BTW, yes - I do want Sony to stop making that Vita crap. I think that's a waste of resources too ever since the very first PSP. :P
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-08-26 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Bullspit...

It was because it had a GREAT pricepoint and was released with a overhyped game called "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess" along with some other key franchises.

After that... sales stalled...

Now, people are just playing PS3/360 games until the next-gen shift happens. Nobody is developing any games for it (short of whatever next Skylanders incarnation). Nobody's batting an eye at their Wii that's covered in dust, and people have forgotten that the Wii-U even exists...

As I said in another thread, the best chance Nintendo has at this point is to re-launch the Wii-U at a lower -$199 pricepoint in Christmas 2014, along with a new QUALITY version of Zelda/Smash brothers and other franchises... and even THEN, all they're going to do is probably create a small pocket-fad burp during Christmas that will last them, at best, 6 months.
    Let's just agree to disagree.. And sales stalled? Did you see how many Wii's they sold? 100 million, that is roughly about even with the original Sony Playstation, and 25million ahead of either the PS3/Xbox 360. However you cook it the Nintendo Wii sold incredibly well, consistantly over the course of its life, and it still sells.

As for the Wii U, we will see. They fucked up with that.

Let's just agree to disagree.. And sales stalled? Did you see how many Wii's they sold? 100 million, that is roughly about even with the original Sony Playstation, and 25million ahead of either the PS3/Xbox 360. However you cook it the Nintendo Wii sold incredibly well, consistantly over the course of its life, and it still sells.

As for the Wii U, we will see. They fucked up with that.
    "Sold"... past-tense. To coin a phrase: That Wii-shit ain't growin' no more. :P

BTW - I put an "EDIT" up there for what I think Nintendo should REALLY do before you posted. Don't know if that changes any opinions, however. :P

I have to disagree with you, because this is what I think.

1. Xbox is going to get crushed, they are trying to bend over the consumer and bumrape them
    2. Sony is everyones friend now, but if they own the market without real competition that is not good (which they will).
    3. Nintendo need to provide their own experience, do things their own way. I don't want to see Mario on the Playstation, Nintendo have said they would sooner go bankrupt and stop altogether than allow this and I like them for that. Nintendo need to be a part of the console market for the health of the gaming industry.
    4. Personally though I own a DS and like it I actually think the Vita is a much better piece of equipment, better graphics and much more well built (durable), the screen is bigger and looks higher quality and the controls are arguably superior. It also has some great games, they just don't have the big hitters like Mario/Pokemon that Nintendo own the market with.

Talking sales, the Wii sold as much as the PS1, it is already 25million sales ahead of its 2 competitors... Why does it matter if it does not continue to grow at a steady rate 7 years after it launched when the successor is already available? Thats like saying the PS3 has stopped growing next year when the PS4 is available.. No shit.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2013-08-26 at 08:22 PM.

1. Xbox is going to get crushed, they are trying to bend over the consumer and bumrape them
    2. Sony is everyones friend now, but if they own the market without real competition that is not good (which they will).
    -snip-
    This is actually very debatable.

Because it might not be true... historically speaking - Nintendo owned the market during the NES and SNES days, with only the Master System, PC Engine and Megadrive (Genesis) giving just a bit of a burp of competition.

Also, the PS1 and PS2 MASSIVELY owned the market as well, with only the N64, Saturn as competition burps for PS1, and Gamecube, Dreamcast, Xbox one...1..whatever were burps against the PS2.

Now, the converse side - I could potentially agree that Nintendo dominance led to their hubris in creating the inefficiently expensive and badly designed N64 and subsequent gouging of their 3rd parties for cart sales... and Sony's dominance led to the PS3's VERY expensive nasty "all in one" design and unique non-developer friendly devcode and elimination of backwards compatibility (eventually).

...the difference is, however, that Sony has SEEMINGLY learned from its mistakes - unlike Nintendo and Microsoft (especially MS, because they're repeating Sony's PS3's mistakes!).

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

3. Nintendo need to provide their own experience, do things their own way. I don't want to see Mario on the Playstation, Nintendo have said they would sooner go bankrupt and stop altogether than allow this and I like them for that. Nintendo need to be a part of the console market for the health of the gaming industry.
    4. Personally though I own a DS and like it I actually think the Vita is a much better piece of equipment, better graphics and much more well built (durable), the screen is bigger and looks higher quality and the controls are arguably superior. It also has some great games, they just don't have the big hitters like Mario/Pokemon that Nintendo own the market with.

Talking sales, the Wii sold as much as the PS1, it is already 25million sales ahead of its 2 competitors... Why does it matter if it does not continue to grow at a steady rate 7 years after it launched when the successor is already available? Thats like saying the PS3 has stopped growing next year when the PS4 is available.. No shit.
    The Vita to me, and being a former owner of one, isn't worth it's weight in gold. Games for it that are actually original and great are limited in quantity, the whole touch screen and touch pad features feel extremely tacked on for both the interface and games. The Vita control sticks were nice, but much like the PSP, it still feels cramped playing a lot of games. Also, PSN connectivity on it is fucking atrocious, downloading games takes forever, I'd say it's worse then the eShop on the 3DS.

The Wii stopped selling almost 3 years ago though, which is unfortunate as developers could still make some interesting content for it if they wanted to.

firstly cause they have done little to nothing to fix the issue they've been having for the last 3 console generations,starting with the n64, less and less 3rd party support.
    it doesn't matter how good the first party games are if thats the only thing on the console.

they, like some other Japanese devs and pubs(fuck you, Sega), seem to have a growing hatred of their lack of dominance of videogames world wide and will not port certain titles over if they do not sell well enough.
    even when several thousand fan create a petition to get these games ported over(a process that for several games only requires a few weeks work by a small team), only to be met with denial or an extremely delayed effort(operation rainfall).

they've done little to earn our love over the years, and now its starting to catch up to them.
    the Wii-U is barely treading water in terms of sales, now i have no doubt that it'll catch up a bit once more mainline Nintendo titles are put on it.
    but as things are going its going to only end up in second place because Microsoft committed itself to shoving its own head up their own ass and trying to eat their liver.