Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylphen View Post
    Yeah, no. You might be able to distinguish the major archetypes. But telling the nationality of a random stranger just by looks?
    Let's do an experiment, shall we. Look at the following pictures and tell me their nationality — there's a French, an Italian, a Spaniard, a Dane, and a Brit.

Even though I saw the Spoiler, based on Looks this is what I can tell.

1 and 5 are full of themselves.
    2 is a bit of a tom, and is really friendly
    3 has a good sense of humor and is enjoying life
    4 is a bit of a smartass and really goofy, so most likely British.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I would say Italian-Danish-Briton-French-Spanish

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, so it seems i can at least identify my countrymen and women.

- - - Updated - - -

Well yea, from a dane - not from each other. And besides - theres also swedes and norwegians and finnish to contend with. But try an distinguish Lithuanians from Polish.
    Beer or mead, that is how you tell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    I have this Chinese female friend who grew up here (not china) and she went to china for a few months.
    The people there could all see she wasn't a Chinese Chinese (does that make sense :P) However, I woulnd be able to tell u the difference.

Now in europe, u can distinquish spanish people, italian people, scandinavians and balkan people just by looks. But whenever i see a coloured person (be it turkish/syrian/iraki/marrocan, vietnamese/chinese/japanese/etc/etc, Nigerian/central african/zambian, u get the point) i can not distinquish them. Since i can distinquish coccasion, im curious whether it's just because i don't no how to distinquish the other people, or if it's somehow colour related.

So, as a black person, can you see the difference between different african nationality's?
    As a asian person, can you see the difference between different asian nationality's?
    As an Arab person, can u see the diferrence between different arab nationality's?
    if you are exposed to the differences in your own culture you will be able to tell the difference. Though caucasian, i can typically tell the difference in most asian cultures whether that be korean, japanese, chinese, thai, etc.... I've just lived around them my whole life and as thus can tell the diff.

Add that sometimes it can be either extremely easy or extremely difficult to tell the difference between a korean-american and a born and raised korean. Just depends on how they act, sometimes how they dress, etc.. It doesn't surprise me at all that a native chinese can tell the diff between a chinese-american.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Balkan people are known to have a square jawline and a pretty big physique
    You forgot to mention how we drag our knuckles on the ground.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can not tell the difference between a North African, Middle Easterner, some South Asians, Indonesians, all Latinos, most European Westerners, and mildly tanned Caucasians in the U.S. (particularly California.)

I think it is related to how my mind subconsciously processes people. Race isn't a factor to me unless specifically made to be one, so I don't catalogue it neurologically.
    Last edited by TheGravemind; 2013-08-26 at 08:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When people are from one ethnicity and they grow up in a different country they will be influenced differently especially if they are conceived with two different ethnicity parents.

i'm white but i can usually tell what country an asian person is from

Deleted
    By looking at people, how the hell? I am British moved to Scandinavia, the only thing I'd kinda notice is that theirs a bit more blondes than from where i'm from :S But I can't look at anyone and say for sure where they're from just on facial features...

697 out of 1000, I honestly can't tell the majority of them - a few here and there though mostly the ones i'm exposed to more often.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if I really get what you're trying to say, but it's pretty easy for me to distinguish italian, spanish, german, french, african and asian people.

If you're talking about for example chinese vs japanese, then no, I can't distinguish them AT ALL xD

Deleted
    Most people look the same based on what area of the world/continent they come from so it's really hard to be precise. However there are those nationalities that are ridiculously easy to spot such as ; Finns, Sami, Somalians, Bosnians, Russians, Black Americans, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Indians and the other Indians :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Do you confirm your identification or do you just assume you're right and use it as evidence of this ability?
    Generally, people can see the differences between "nationalities" concerning groups they have lived with for some time. It holds true pretty much everywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can tell decently well with a good number of places. I'm getting really good at distinguishing Asians (I can usually tell Chinese, Korean, Japanese, or Southeast just by looking at them), and I can typically guess the general region for Europeans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Your point is completely mute because it's spelled "nationalities" not "nationalitys".
    Try harder.
    gee, ya don't say. got the feeling even if he'd spelled it correctly there would be an apostrophe thrown in, just for good measure!
    Also, any reason for me to use a comic from Married to the Sea I will jump on :)
    btw, it's 'moot', not mute ^^

I thought we were friends, Noomz~ you breaked my <3 today :*(
    kintsukuroi
    ‘golden repair’, is the Japanese art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer. The aesthetic philosophy focuses on imperfections rather than attempting to disguise them, with the intention that the piece becomes both more valuable and more beautiful because of its history and for having been broken.