Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

Are YOU patriotic?

With this all stuff about leaking Government secrets I was wondering, How many people actually like the country they stay in? Or like the people in the country they live in?

I'm from Scotland, I HATE it here. The people are scumbags, The system is a mess. The benefit system encourages young mums to have 5 kids and earn more a month than someone who works two jobs.

They go in hordes to football matches to support "Scotland" to countries all over they world and get drunk and wreck the place, causing thousands of pounds of Damage.

Recently someone from Denmark asked if it's worth visiting Scotland. I went off on a rant about how they would regret it and spend there money going to another country in Europe and having a better time.

Well. My point is, Do you like the place you from ? Whether it be Country or town?

Not at all. I would be on the first plane out if war was to break out in any country I live in.

I'm from Czech Republic and my patriotism is below zero. I'm very ashamed of what is happening in our country. It seems we are "proud" of our homosexuals, we support gypsies (i see them as a plague) more then our own people. Our governmant is not working and our president is a drunk who's trying to take control of the country...

I'm happy i was born in europe, but im definately not proud of what has become of my country.

Deleted
    Eh, not really.

I mean, i love my homeland - but i'm willing to deal harsh criticism to it, and if pushed leave.

And telling your friend not to visit Scotland is a good move man, he may become addicted to deep fried mars bars.

I am proud of the country I live in and feel very comfortable living in it. But I don't really identify with or partake in many of the traditions and customs.

I don't have that patriotism/nationalism-love for my country, it feels unfounded and irrational to me. But, I have to admit that Sweden is a pretty good place to live in, compared to the rest of the world, so I'm happy that I live here and can be somewhat proud of the things we do right.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I like my country, but I think patriotism is ultimately a very negative thing - especially since it's usually very unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by klork View Post
    With this all stuff about leaking Government secrets I was wondering, How many people actually like the country they stay in? Or like the people in the country they live in?

I'm from Scotland, I HATE it here. The people are scumbags, The system is a mess. The benefit system encourages young mums to have 5 kids and earn more a month than someone who works two jobs.

They go in hordes to football matches to support "Scotland" to countries all over they world and get drunk and wreck the place, causing thousands of pounds of Damage.

Recently someone from Denmark asked if it's worth visiting Scotland. I went off on a rant about how they would regret it and spend there money going to another country in Europe and having a better time.

Well. My point is, Do you like the place you from ? Whether it be Country or town?
    American here. I love my country and I love our Constitution. I hate my government. Mostly because it doesn't care about my fellow citizens or the constitution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not at all

The less people have or do what they could be proud of, the more patriotic and religious they get. Always been that way.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Haha, nope!
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Yeah, I do like my country. A couple of things aren't going the way they should, but I guess it's that way everywhere. And though patriotism is kinda frowned upon in Germany, I really like it here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    You have a lot wrong there my friend. I see this from a lot of people I know, they scream things like "Scotland is shite" ect, my response to that is, have you even seen it? Have you been outside the village or town you live in and actually went around the country, because I couldnt disagree with you more.

The benefits nonsense is a political smokescreen, theres problems yes, but its not as bad as it seems.

The tartan army doesnt wreck things, infact they have a charity fund. All I can remember from the England vs Scotland match the other week was fairy liquid in the fountain and lots of beer cans being left behind.

Whereabouts do you live, because even in Glasgow the random folk on the street are friendly enough.

OT: Im patriotic but I dont like waving it around unless im at an event or something. Kinda keep it to myself.
    Glasgow.

Yes, My aunt lived in the countryside. she lived near a small town "Carnwarth" Which was nice. It's not as much the country. It's more the people. The people who live here are utter scumbags.

Deleted

Christ mate; what crawled up you and died?

I've heard some people get pissy at the Government because they think Alex Salmond is a smug cunt, but to the extent you're complaining it sounds like they systematically hunted down and tortured your family or something.

You're also badmouthing at Scottish football fans, the hell?

Asides from when they're in England, they're probably the best behaved fans the world have, and that's not idle boasting. They've won awards for their behavior all over the globe and pretty any Scot who causes trouble whilst with them will get completely and utterly shunned by the Tartan Army.

Then the Danish bloke should have ignored you. You're talking utter bollocks.

Absolutely not patriotic. While I see myself as Croatian, I couldn't care less about invasions or other stupid things that Croatia might have to fight against. Last thing I would do is go and grab my gun to fight for any country out there.

I've spent most of my life in Germany, and while I really like it here ( I even have the German citizenship ), I somewhat dislike the German culture. It's hard to describe, but I'd say it's "too sterile", if that makes any sense.

I see myself more as a citizen of earth, rather than a specific country. I am willing to criticize and bash on my own countries if necessary and probably only start fighting if aliens invaded earth.

Deleted
    I'm a big Swedish patriot. Love this country, it's history and it's ideals.

Deleted
    I suppose so. I get an extra thrill out of sports when it's England or English players and there's a subtle sense of pride that I can't control when I hear of English victories. It makes no sense to me that I feel pride when something my country achieves is entirely unrelated to me, however I can't control it, it just happens.

I'm sure as hell not. Planning to move out of the country the moment I'm able to along with my Brother.

Deleted
    I love Austria, I love Tyrol. We've got a great country, we've got a great history and we've got a fucking great landscape with so many beautiful places. I can't imagine living anywhere but here and I'd fight for my homeland anytime if I'd have to.

So yes, I'm very patriotic. Austria ftw!

(It would be even better without all those Germans around us, though. )
    Last edited by mmocfa3fe6ec47; 2013-08-25 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Gecko View Post
    I am proud of the country I live in and feel very comfortable living in it. But I don't really identify with or partake in many of the traditions and customs.
    Pretty much my feelings towards mine as well, I'm glad I was born here and have a safe and comfortable way of life, the people are like anywhere else some are good some are horrible but theres always the option here to avoid those types. I wouldn't consider myself patriotic.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa