1. #1

    Recording Software - Most suitable for WoW

    Hey guys, lastly I tried Fraps and Xplit to record some WoW videos.

    Fraps had huge disk space requirement and I was fed up to always have to encode my video for hours after my raid nights.

    So I tried Xplit. The file compression is done on the fly and the disk space is minimal. However, the quality doesn't seems to meet my expectation even if I play with the recording settings trying to improve the quality. Result: my movie doesn't look sharp compare to those on youtube. On youtube I can put the 1080p setting and even in fullscreen it look sharp and clear.
    Furthermore , I play on a 2560 * 1440p monitor and xplit doesn't have this resolution. So the 1080p settings gave me some ugly videos.


    I looked at Dxtory or Action software and I don't mind paying for the full version of any software, I just want the best possible quality without having to encode my videos after a raiding night.

    Any advice on any software or tips on Xplit to improve the quality of my movies?? I have an I7 3930K OC @ 4.8 so I have the hardware to support heavy compression.

    P.S. english is my second langage. Sorry for any mistakes in my text.
    Last edited by Evolution69; 2013-08-05 at 02:43 PM.

  2. #2
    I use Open Broadcast Software, OBS for shot. Good for twitch and makes decent video's. Plus it's free.

  3. #3
    you can use OBS to record to hard-drive too.
    fraps gets great results but you need good skills (encoding settings) to render it without losing quality on youtube.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by purefury View Post
    you can use OBS to record to hard-drive too.
    fraps gets great results but you need good skills (encoding settings) to render it without losing quality on youtube.
    Ill check out OBS.

    As for fraps, I have Sony Vegas to encode my movies, however, it take some time(and skills to get the right settings) and I would like be able to do some minimal manipulation on my movie before uploading it to youtube.

    Ill give a try to OBS


    Edit: Would it be better to use a capture card instead of a software?? I didn't read about these cards because I tough it was only for console gaming, but I think it is available for PC too.
    Last edited by Evolution69; 2013-08-05 at 02:59 PM.

  5. #5
    I'm using Bandicam to record for all my videos (my guild kill videos). And after i do compress/add music and some other stuff in Sony Vegas 11 (you can use 12 too). Settings in Sony Vegas are - Format CBR, WMV, 30FPS, AA 100%, 8M Bit Rate, Render Quality - Best.
    The raw file for lets say Twins HC - 2.8gb and after compress in Sony vegas it is only 580mb WITHOUT quality loss.

    So i'm pretty happy with Bandicam/Sony Vegas combo. Its not hard to start using it, there are also alot of guides.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Naggash View Post
    I'm using Bandicam to record for all my videos (my guild kill videos). And after i do compress/add music and some other stuff in Sony Vegas 11 (you can use 12 too). Settings in Sony Vegas are - Format CBR, WMV, 30FPS, AA 100%, 8M Bit Rate, Render Quality - Best.
    The raw file for lets say Twins HC - 2.8gb and after compress in Sony vegas it is only 580mb WITHOUT quality loss.

    So i'm pretty happy with Bandicam/Sony Vegas combo. Its not hard to start using it, there are also alot of guides.
    Do you have any videos on youtube I could watch??

    Thx

  7. #7
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    247
    Just to extend this

    What is the easiest software to use to record games and sound (wow sound and mic sounds).

    I just want something very easy to use - quality etc is not as important (just using for fun)

    thanks

  8. #8
    Over 9000! Baar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    9,786
    Quote Originally Posted by purefury View Post
    you can use OBS to record to hard-drive too.
    fraps gets great results but you need good skills (encoding settings) to render it without losing quality on youtube.

    Windows movie maker's default settings?


    It's not hard at all....

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by BombayRoll View Post
    Just to extend this

    What is the easiest software to use to record games and sound (wow sound and mic sounds).

    I just want something very easy to use - quality etc is not as important (just using for fun)

    thanks

    out of the box easy to use. Fraps.

    You can then use windows movie maker to compress/encode for youtube or whatever.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Windows movie maker's default settings?


    It's not hard at all....

    - - - Updated - - -




    out of the box easy to use. Fraps.

    You can then use windows movie maker to compress/encode for youtube or whatever.
    Ill check out movie maker. It's been a while since I used it. Usually, I use Sony Vegas. Or After Effect to include some cool template.

    And yes Fraps is super easy. Just be sure to have enough space to stock the video.

  10. #10
    Herald of the Titans Pancaspe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,671
    If you have a Mac, the recording software is built into WOW.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

  11. #11
    There's actually some Audials One WoW videos downloader among the first results that seems to be able to record WoW online streaming videos from the watch instantly subscription.*There's some guide on how to record videos with it in Audials website, should be useful to you.
    I think it might just solve your problem.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •