GPU goes to idle on boss pull 25 man raid

Good morning ladies and gents,

Im posting here about my problem as maybe one of you as had or seen this problem before and maybe you could point me in a direction to fix it

Ill start by giving you my build spec:
    i7 3770K (running at stock clock)
    Asus Sabertooth Z77 mobo
    Zotac GTX 660 TI (stock clock or OC a lil bit, doesnt change anything)
    16 GB Patriot Viper Extreme 2 PC3-15000 (1866 MHZ)
    Windows 7 64 Ultimate Edition
    Bel Fibe internet with constant 25-30 ms latency on hard wired connection

As you can see this is a very decent build that I put together last november who at the time was top of the line and should be able to handle 25 man raid with at least 40-50 fps on ultra (few settings like AA, multisampling, SSAO and Shadow quality tweaked down) like it used too.

My problem is, and I really noticed it during last night's raid by looking at the zotac gpu ressource monitor is that before the pull when are getting rdy to pull, i get 70-90 fps with GPU clock at 700 ish MHz, GPU utilisation at 70-75% and temps at 45C.

But the second we pull the boss and all the spells and healing happens it drops 20 (and sometimes 15) and my GPU goes to idle 390 MHz, 30% use and temp stay flat at 39C just like when im sitting in Windows doing nothing.

It really looks like my GPU is actually doing nothing and the graphics are all handled through the CPU. I have tried lowering the settings but it actually does very little 2-3 fps more. Anyway with my system, im pretty sure I should'nt have too.

I have looked on forums (Battle.net, Nvidia, Tom's Hardware) but I cant seem too find anything similar, a lot of people have a very good GPU and an older CPU with the CPU beeing the bottleneck but this is not my case.

If you have had any similar experience or heard of it, plz share as raiding Twins or Magearra at 20 fps sucks

I had a similar issue months ago, everything *looked* fine with my settings, temps and hardware yet I was still getting immense FPS drops (60-80 to < 10). My temps showed completely normal, my GPU usage was moving up and down as was the CPU, it looked completely normal but would still drop. I finally took my laptop apart and looked at the CPU and GPU heat sinks: nearly all the thermal paste was gone. I cleaned both very well using cotton swabs, q-tips and rubbing alcohol. I then applied a realistic amount of Arctic Silver to both, sealed them up and all has been well since. Check the thermal seals and make sure they're good. Also, I thought with recent i5/7 CPUs you could adjust "who" handles graphics, between the GPU and the CPU. I'm clearly no expert on this setting, my older i7 doesn't have this ability, maybe look into that?

Other stuff to check: do you get FPS drops in other games and at what point? Does it oscillate, meaning, does it get worse, then better, then worse, etc? Are there other processes going on in the background whilst gaming, like antivirus performing checks? Running it in safe mode would be awesome, but I don't know if Safe Mode will do gaming - next best is to turn off all the startup stuff (through msconfig) and try that way. I know, it's a pain in the butt to do some of this stuff, but it's better than not knowing or not being able to raid.

This may sound extremely dumb, and completely idiotic, but I had a buddy of mine build my computer 2 years ago. It worked fairly well, but I noticed that my GPU also was not getting any use, and my CPU was doing all the work. I tried no add-ons, lower settings, the middle of nowhere, etc. All I ever saw was a very small fps increase Wanna know what it was? My buddy put the graphics card in the slot, but never plugged it in.... I seriously doubt that's the case here, but well, ya never know

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platepimp View Post
    Good morning ladies and gents,

Im posting here about my problem as maybe one of you as had or seen this problem before and maybe you could point me in a direction to fix it

Ill start by giving you my build spec:
    i7 3770K (running at stock clock)
    Asus Sabertooth Z77 mobo
    Zotac GTX 660 TI (stock clock or OC a lil bit, doesnt change anything)
    16 GB Patriot Viper Extreme 2 PC3-15000 (1866 MHZ)
    Windows 7 64 Ultimate Edition
    Bel Fibe internet with constant 25-30 ms latency on hard wired connection

As you can see this is a very decent build that I put together last november who at the time was top of the line and should be able to handle 25 man raid with at least 40-50 fps on ultra (few settings like AA, multisampling, SSAO and Shadow quality tweaked down) like it used too.

My problem is, and I really noticed it during last night's raid by looking at the zotac gpu ressource monitor is that before the pull when are getting rdy to pull, i get 70-90 fps with GPU clock at 700 ish MHz, GPU utilisation at 70-75% and temps at 45C.

But the second we pull the boss and all the spells and healing happens it drops 20 (and sometimes 15) and my GPU goes to idle 390 MHz, 30% use and temp stay flat at 39C just like when im sitting in Windows doing nothing.

It really looks like my GPU is actually doing nothing and the graphics are all handled through the CPU. I have tried lowering the settings but it actually does very little 2-3 fps more. Anyway with my system, im pretty sure I should'nt have too.

I have looked on forums (Battle.net, Nvidia, Tom's Hardware) but I cant seem too find anything similar, a lot of people have a very good GPU and an older CPU with the CPU beeing the bottleneck but this is not my case.

If you have had any similar experience or heard of it, plz share as raiding Twins or Magearra at 20 fps sucks
    You don't mention add-ons at all. Try going into LFR with addons disabled and enable them one by one to see if they may be causing the issue. Make sure they have been updated in the last year or find an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    You don't mention add-ons at all. Try going into LFR with addons disabled and enable them one by one to see if they may be causing the issue. Make sure they have been updated in the last year or find an alternative.
    I dont have a whole lot off addons. elvUi is my biggest and it takes only 5mb also run skada and few others smaller ones and I'm pretty sure they're are all up to date but thx for the tips ill give it a shot tonight never knows

Deleted
    I'd start with updating most drivers as they'll be closing up on 1 year soon. Specially gfx card and chipset drivers.