Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    The day has arrived that I agree with Laize.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allarius View Post
    Knowing what specific parts of the military is doing does not dictate what you will be doing. We have more troops stationed outside of these so-called "democratic" areas than we do in them. Unless you have specific expertise or specifically volunteer for these areas, you could very easily be doing something else entirely.
    Simple question: Given the nations penchant for the military industrial complex and amount of freedom that "needs" to be distributed to the whole world, do you feel there is a chance that you, Generic_grunt_01 of the 69th Expendable Crew fresh from training, will be sent to a sandbox?

If you say yes, you asked for whatever happens to you.
    If you say no, and you end up there anyway, you asked for it when you signed up. You don't get "free will", you don't get to pick and choose to join the Unicorn Petting Brigade. If they need you for Operation Human Shield, your ass is out there with Chef. You knew the risks. Comes with the job. You agreed to do anything they want you to do when you subjugated yourself to them by signing up.
    If you say no, and you don't end up there, don't worry. Sooner or later we'll shit in someone's sherbet and you get your chance to join in the liberation.

That's why you research for any job. So you can make an informed choice. If the risks are worth it to you, then good luck. I hope you enjoy your job.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    I think your consensus was drawn merely from peers of yours that share your own misguided opinion on the subject. The VA is a government-run program that has it kinks like any other government-run program, I've conceded that several times in this thread. We are also at war, which puts increased strain on the system. But idiots will have you believe that veterans are being forcefully thrown into the streets with freshly severed limbs and untreated mental illness. I am a veteran that was unemployed for a time following my departure from the service. I used VA medical care (completely free of charge) for over a year. I was broke as a joke and my 5 years of active duty bought me lifelong medical care if I wanted it. Furthermore, I was employed by one of these organizations that places emphasis on employing troops and works directly with the VA and Transition Assistance Programs. The system works for people who want help and seek it.

As far as the G. I. Bill, if you don't know that the Bill was updated with much more generous stipulations to the benefits for OEF/OIF veterans, then that's your own fault. I don't have to explain a common knowledge and easily Google-able thing to you. Look it up yourself.

Edit: I'll provide the info anyway to prove my common-knowledge point http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+the...2F11+g.i.+bill

What you should note: only 90 days of consecutive service nets you 36 months of education and housing now. I'd say that's pretty fucking awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you arguing that residents of New York City should be ashamed that they place emphasis on marking a point in their history when two commercial airplanes were flown into the World Trade Center and thousands of innocent people died? Perverted logic.
    No, what I'm saying is: GET THE F OVER IT.

Jesus christ, we still hold ceremonies for Pearl Harbor. Something that happened 70 years ago. Same reason why we keep holding and bringing up memories of mass murder anymore. You're doing exactly what the gunmen want you to do: Remember them forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    It IS a bit annoying it comes up every time you are on Imgur. Its always american troops and its always the first 4 top comments being "THANK YOU FOR YUR SERVIS"

Service my ass - you are getting paid. It aint service unless you are drafted imo.
    Getting paid? They don't get paid very much and they can't just quit their job if they hate their boss or decide that it isn't what they want to do. Some of them, past and present, put their life on the line to ensure your right to not like the phrase (If you are an American . . .). If you hate the phrase, so be it. Not all of us agree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    No, what I'm saying is: GET THE F OVER IT.

Jesus christ, we still hold ceremonies for Pearl Harbor. Something that happened 70 years ago. Same reason why we keep holding and bringing up memories of mass murder anymore. You're doing exactly what the gunmen want you to do: Remember them forever.
    But but but...'Murrica?

Quote Originally Posted by Peacemaker65 View Post
    Getting paid? They don't get paid very much and they can't just quit their job if they hate their boss or decide that it isn't what they want to do.
    They seem to be sufficiently compensated that we have more soldiers than we have any practical use for. I don't think it'd make any economic sense to pay more. The lifelong benefits (and pension, if they stick around long enough) and housing and meal allowances actually add up to a strong compensation package in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacemaker65 View Post
    Some of them, past and present, put their life on the line to ensure your right to not like the phrase (If you are an American . . .). If you hate the phrase, so be it. Not all of us agree.
    Most of the men that put their life on the line in a circumstance where there was potential existential threat to the United States dead. I'm happy to thank WW2 vets. If they were still alive, I'd be more happy to thank Civil War vets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    If you don't have much of a skillset it's a pretty good deal out of HS.
    Sorry guys, But I have to go with this because I lived it. I dropped out of high school. ( Short story reason ; My school head teacher was corrupt and wanted her school to be the best. So when 1 of her top football players tried to stab me with a knife he bought to school she defended him, said it never happened )
    I tossed around jobs after leaving school for 6 years. Then I got my GED and joined up in the US army.

Best thing I ever did. I did 6 years. build up a background for myself nobody could touch and did training in IT. Walked out the army a man with a career.
    People think the army is getting shot at 247 with dudes screaming at you. It's not like the movies. Don't be an ass kisser, Do your stuff right and listen to your Superiors. You will do just fine.

Army is definitely a good pick if you feel like you need a 2nd chance or just want to get somewhere. I've had no problem getting a job with my training. once they see I was in the service its quite easy from there on out.
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Haha, it's just that easy huh? As someone who was trained in operations planning and was subjected to chemical weapons training (i.e. I was put in a live agent environment), you sir have no idea what you're talking about. Do you think Syria keeps their nerve agent out in the open in centralized locations? Do you think they only have a limited supply that we can bomb once and forget? Where do you think they got it from?

- - - Updated - - -

Societies don't forget transgressions. They're not being remembered in an honor to the perpetrators. They're being remembered so jackasses don't get away preaching that we should lower our guard because the world has "evolved". It never has and never will. Evil is a compenent of the human race that has always existed and continues to manifest itself. Just look at Miley Cyrus (okay that was a joke... sort of).
    If you truly believe that'll stop other countries/terrorists from attacking others... I have a bridge to sell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    If you truly believe that'll stop other countries/terrorists from attacking others... I have a bridge to sell you.

Yeah. that's not what he said.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only read OP and the comments on first page, so sorry if I'm repeating what a lot people have already said, or if I'm interrupting a thread de-rail or discussion. Didn't wanna spend time reading 300+ posts, but still wanted to give an opinion.

I support US troops just as much as I support US teachers, US doctors, US firefighters, US police officers, and basically anyone else in the USA with a respectable profession. People who join any branch of the USA military do so voluntarily, and also receive payment for their services and free healthcare/college tuition for life. I know that jobs with the peace corps don't pay at all and they're also in dangerous/developing areas. But, my main point is that I do agree it is propaganda. Unless you're a veteran who was drafted (or we have another draft in the future) I don't see why they deserve any more support or respect than the other people who work hard in this country. I'm originally from Germany, so maybe that's affected my opinion on the matter, but I've just never understood why we're decorating a select few for their voluntary job, but not others. Teachers, firefighters, and police constantly have their lives on the line as well and aren't nearly as armed or protected as members of the military usually are.