Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Question Flex Min Ilvl Requirement

What would you suggest the min ilvl for Flex SoO to be?

When the patch hits, I would like to set up a server pug, and need a bar to set gearwise.

Deleted
    500 if they're not braindead, 520 if you're taking in LFR heroes.

So anything in between really.

Although, it's easy being picky on patch day, so I'd bring in 525+ with at least 1/13 ToT exp.

10+ Year Old Account
    510+, ideally 515-520.

Rationale:

I'm in a mix of normal ToT gear, ToT LFR and a couple of pieces from T14 (dont ask...). Not everything is upgraded, but a lot is and I'm 520.

500... I'm sorry, but if you're around 500 right now you're either very recently dinged or incredibly lazy since ToT has been out for 5 months and LFR gear from there is 502.

So, somewhere between 500 (lazy) and 520 (some experience in regular ToT probably) feels right as a minimum.

515+ without achievements, 500+ with good achievements (heroic t15 kills, or normal t16 kills).
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

I just joined a new guild and i've been appointed raid leader of the second team fairly quickly. I intend to take a comp of 10 people, fully buffed with some previous experience, all with 510+

10+ Year Old Account
    The gear ilvl is 540.

It seems to be more forgiving then normal. If you plan to lead pugs, 510-520 would be what I would chose (Although, if they have a T14/T15 heroic title, I would take them with 480 ilvl. Skill>>>Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    The gear ilvl is 540.

It seems to be more forgiving then normal. If you plan to lead pugs, 510-520 would be what I would chose (Although, if they have a T14/T15 heroic title, I would take them with 480 ilvl. Skill>>>Gear
    I wouldnt' take anyone in at 480 (that's too much of a compromise) but with those qualifications 500 would likely be OK.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I wouldnt' take anyone in at 480 (that's too much of a compromise) but with those qualifications 500 would likely be OK.
    did you make flex on ptr? because in 520 ilvl it's quite hard and so in first week grp with 520 ilvl overall will have big trouble with doing more than 3 bosses

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    500... I'm sorry, but if you're around 500 right now you're either very recently dinged or incredibly lazy since ToT has been out for 5 months and LFR gear from there is 502.
    How about those coming back from taking a break from the game for whatever reason? Especially if they played at the start of MoP but then had to quit due to RL things or something?

See, things like this are why I quit wow. I understand not wanting to waste time wiping on things and the like, but there just seems to be very little middle ground out there unless you're on one of the super high pop servers. Take a break for a little due to RL or something, and all of a sudden you're way more behind and can't catch up. I'm sure LFR has helped that some, but some people would rather run normals with a guild where a wipe doesn't mean reset the LFR. (Note this was my playing back early on in MoP, it may be different now though... but "LFR heroes" sure doesn't make it sound that way!)

Just some food for thought for both the OP and others making raids (flex or not).

It depends on how easy 540 is to get in 5.4. If we say that 510 is the requirement for ToT, and Flex drops 540, then 530 is a good average group ilevel. Ilevel of the raid minus 10. Or maybe LFR + 10. It depends too much on things which I have no experience with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomec View Post
    How about those coming back from taking a break from the game for whatever reason? Especially if they played at the start of MoP but then had to quit due to RL things or something?

See, things like this are why I quit wow. I understand not wanting to waste time wiping on things and the like, but there just seems to be very little middle ground out there unless you're on one of the super high pop servers. Take a break for a little due to RL or something, and all of a sudden you're way more behind and can't catch up. I'm sure LFR has helped that some, but some people would rather run normals with a guild where a wipe doesn't mean reset the LFR. (Note this was my playing back early on in MoP, it may be different now though... but "LFR heroes" sure doesn't make it sound that way!)

Just some food for thought for both the OP and others making raids (flex or not).
    You can get from a fresh 430 ilevel 90 to 490 within a single week's lockout with bad RNG and without going into normals. One more week for 500-510. In 5.4 it'll be even more trivial.

If you can't spend a week to catch up after being gone since 5.0, then you shouldn't care about joining a Flex or Normal raid anyway. Realistically all you want is to experience the content, which you can do in LFR. In anything else you'd just be getting carried, and I don't think anyone here will defend someone wanting that.

And here's some food for thought for you:

If a guild needs a single pug for normal modes, they will expect you to be appropriate ilevel and know all the fights. They probably will expect you to be even more experienced and higher ilevel than the minimum to compensate for the fact that you're a PUG.

For a trade group, if they take people who are the minimum ilevel then they wont get through the second boss.

That is the reality of the situation. 490 is the absolute minimum for normal ToT. That's 30 ilevels below what the raid drops. If you're under the absolute minimum, then you shouldn't be trying to get into that raid in the first place.

If you want to raid, join a guild who will carry you until you can pull your weight. Stop crying about the mean PUG leaders. If you are a pug then your only value is for that single night. No one will want to put an investment in you unless it is a guild who you will reliably raid with for months in the future.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2013-08-26 at 09:52 AM.

See, things like this are why I quit wow.

Because you think the ability to gear up sufficiently to do contemporary content in a couple of weeks after returning is too harsh?

Shit, what do you want man, for vendors to sell 520 gear for 20-30 gold a piece?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    515+ without achievements, 500+ with good achievements (heroic t15 kills, or normal t16 kills).
    achievement say nothing about your performance.. get this already.

10+ Year Old Account
    510, I would probably take 500 if they have their Proven title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ripslyme View Post
    achievement say nothing about your performance.. get this already.
    True, Proving Grounds probably does however. I don't understand how nobody has suggested this is an alternative yet. Even Blizzard has been considering using it over item level requirements for queuing.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    You can get from a fresh 430 ilevel 90 to 490 within a single week's lockout with bad RNG and without going into normals. One more week for 500-510. In 5.4 it'll be even more trivial.
    Ok that's actually not too bad. I didn't realize it was that easy right now. Again I don't currently play, and a bit of that is coming from back in Cata before LFR was introduced. Granted I'm not going to say I enjoyed LFR when I did it back in the early days, like I said one wipe and you'd be looking for a new group....

Anyways, I retract what I was saying about a middle ground and stuff. If it really is basically just do a couple LFRs and get from fresh to 500-510ish then that definitely isn't too much to ask and be worried about.

Ok that's actually not too bad. I didn't realize it was that easy right now. Again I don't currently play, and a bit of that is coming from back in Cata before LFR was introduced. Granted I'm not going to say I enjoyed LFR when I did it back in the early days, like I said one wipe and you'd be looking for a new group....

Anyways, I retract what I was saying about a middle ground and stuff. If it really is basically just do a couple LFRs and get from fresh to 500-510ish then that definitely isn't too much to ask and be worried about.
    I made a list a while ago about the process, let me find it in a sec

edit: here it is:

I got to 480 ilevel in about 2-3 days. With not terrible luck I could have easily gotten 490 in that week. After 490 or so the ilevel increases drop off significantly, and once you get to around 500-510 you basically have to start doing normal ToT if you want to gear up reasonably well. Of course, there's no reason to gear up if you're not planning on doing normal ToT anyway, so it works out.

Do world bosses concurrent with all this below:
    Do the 5.3 quest for free 502 boots
    Normal scenarios until heroics (I skipped this)
    Heroics for 463 loot and justice
    Convert any justice into honor and buy PvP gear
    Do this until LFR. At this point, go to Isle of Thunder and get a key.
    Get 20 charms in the first room (generally fairly easy, on my first run ever I only got 10 though)
    Run 460 LFR until 470.
    I did something similar a second time for my rogue, it was 493 the first week. Another attempt was my disc priest, which got 489 (it was literally 489.8 or some shit) without getting PvP gear, too.

Oh, and in that I didn't mention, but an easy way of getting 490 in a week is just getting conquest PvP gear. It's 496 ilevel. It's not very ideal, since at this ilevel your gear actually matters, but it's better than a piece 10 below it.

edit: shit sorry, that wasn't the full post. Let me type the rest

Run the 470 LFR using your elder charms (save 2 for the world bosses)
    Run 480 LFR using your mogu runes (3 per week) on the bosses with the greatest chance of getting an upgrade (save 2 for world bosses)
    You should be valor capped, so buy a 522 conquest piece from the Shado-Pan Assault
    Then you can also use conquest gear to fill in the remaining pieces (optional)

I think that's all. The important thing to mention here is to be very efficient with your bought upgrades and charms. You should buy items as late as possible since you can choose which slots get upgraded. Similarly, use your tokens only on bosses with the most upgrades from them. If you need a ring, and a boss drops a ring and pants, save the coin if there's a boss that only drops upgrades.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2013-08-26 at 10:04 AM.

On patch day?

Patch day I will be going flex raid on openraid and I wont get anybody under 540 ilvl (pref with legendary cloak) in my group

Anyone saying 505 ilvl, Farming random mobs on timeless isle will give you a full 496 set in about 1h

Flex mode of wing 1 was tested with item level scaling to 510, so I'd assume that will be the min item level required.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelond View Post
    On patch day?

Patch day I will be going flex raid on openraid and I wont get anybody under 540 ilvl (pref with legendary cloak) in my group

Anyone saying 505 ilvl, Farming random mobs on timeless isle will give you a full 496 set in about 1h
    so you want only elite players in to carry u?

there wont be loads of people on patch day with 540 my main for 1 is 539.

thease kinds of people is why i hate pugs now.

Deleted
    Oh yeah... Proving Grounds gold medal will probably be a good requirement. I got a gold medal on the PTR. It's not super hard, but you definitely can't make it if you're clueless and if you have no idea how to dps with your class.

I tried the endless and it was actually quite challenging. 30 wave achievement will be one of my requirements if making a heroic mode pug. *
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    so you want only elite players in to carry u?

there wont be loads of people on patch day with 540 my main for 1 is 539.

thease kinds of people is why i hate pugs now.
    Go do guild runs then.

Pugs are about supply and demand. If you can demand 540 easily with the supply letting you, why wouldn't you? It's a pug and you want everything to be as fast as possible. You don't want to carry anyone.