Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Looking to upgrade my GPU

I am currently running Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB card and am noticing that some of the games I have been playing recently run a bit choppy due to game updates that are pushing the card more. It's not a bad card, but in games like MechWarrior Online, I am getting more graphics lag due to the recent increase in players on a map, even with settings turned down quite a bit my framerate drops below 25 at times and I am usually running at 60 most of the time, but when action gets heated up I get lag that is causing a lot of problems. I have noticed performance drops in Borderlands 2 since the latest DLC came out and while I know that game is processor intensive, I don't think my i7 2600K is an issue.

So I am looking for a replacement that is sure to be a considerable upgrade, preferably sub 350 CAD, I am thinking Nvidia this time around but I will let the judges decide that. I have seen the GTX 760 going for around 250 CAD on sale and they average in price less then 300 dollars for most models. I am not sure how much of an upgrade it would be over the 7850, but if they don't use a lot of power, I would certainly consider running a pair in SLI by years end.

I was thinking something like these:

Gigabyte Windforce GTX 760: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814125466
    MSI Hawk GTX 760: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814127750

Opinions?

The Gigabyte is definitely a better choice of the two, though I wouldn't rule out the processor not being part of the problem. Have you kept a eye on your CPU/GPU load during heavy fights in MWO? Even after reducing settings and you still have problems, that usually points elsewhere, be it your processor or the game engine itself(wasn't that game still in Beta too?).
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think my processor hits more then 50% load to be honest but I will have to confirm that. And yes, while it is still in beta, the recent change to 12vs12 player has given a lot of players graphics lag due to having more weapons firing and motion on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I don't think my processor hits more then 50% load to be honest but I will have to confirm that. And yes, while it is still in beta, the recent change to 12vs12 player has given a lot of players graphics lag due to having more weapons firing and motion on the screen.
    Honestly, sounds more like issues with the engine not being properly optimized to handle such battles more than people's rigs. If it is the engine, no amount of hardware will fix it. Try browsing the official forums and see if anyone has figured out what you can do to get your FPS back to a comfortable level.

The 2600k should still be able to handle anything you throw at it and the card is good enough you can run most games on med/med-high settings. Though getting the 760 will let you run alot more games on high/ultra settings.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

Is the i7-2600k overclocked? If not, you might want to do that as to rule it out or increase performance.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I would need a new cooler to do that.

Well, I would need a new cooler to do that.
    You can use the stock one to do a slight overclock, you only need a new one to push for mid-high overclocks.

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    You can use the stock one to do a slight overclock, you only need a new one to push for mid-high overclocks.
    You should be able to push a few 100mhz out of a stock cooler while still keeping temps stable.

Though you can grab a cheap cooler and push out some better clock speed or go with liquid cooling and should be able to get up to 4+ghz easily(with enough trial&error). A cheap cooler like these >1/2/3< would give you some room to work with a bit better than the stock cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    You should be able to push a few 100mhz out of a stock cooler while still keeping temps stable.

Though you can grab a cheap cooler and push out some better clock speed or go with liquid cooling and should be able to get up to 4+ghz easily(with enough trial&error). A cheap cooler like these >1/2/3< would give you some room to work with a bit better than the stock cooler.
    Indeed, it was just to narrow down the problem and make sure it actually is the CPU.

This sounds more like issues with game/engine optimization than your gpu.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    This sounds more like issues with game/engine optimization than your gpu.
    He has an i7. That means 4 cores 8 threads. 50% of that is 4 threads. Only few selected games use more than two nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    He has an i7. That means 4 cores 8 threads. 50% of that is 4 threads. Only few selected games use more than two nowadays.
    Still sounds like engine issues seeing as it only happened after a recent update. If it wasn't optimized for 12vs12 battles from the start and they decide to throw it in afterwards, bad things will happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going from 7870 to a 760 won't exactly be a huge performance leap, like maybe 20-25% more fps at best. That doesn't really warrant an upgrade, you can tone-down settings (or resolution) for smoother fps.

I would personally keep saving till I have $400 and then buy a GTX770, where you will see like a 35-40% boost. Oh and also set aside $30 for a Hyper212 Evo, you definitely want that to get a nice 4.4-4.5ghz OC on your 2600K.

Yeah I'm pretty much asking you to bloat your budget, but I'm not really a believer in making small GPU upgrades. It should be something that makes you scream "Yes! Performance leap bitches!" considering I went from a 8600GS > HD5770 > GTX580/GTX660 Ti > GTX780 :P
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Going from 7870 to a 760 won't exactly be a huge performance leap, like maybe 20-25% more fps at best. That doesn't really warrant an upgrade, you can tone-down settings (or resolution) for smoother fps.

I would personally keep saving till I have $400 and then buy a GTX770, where you will see like a 35-40% boost. Oh and also set aside $30 for a Hyper212 Evo, you definitely want that to get a nice 4.4-4.5ghz OC on your 2600K.

Yeah I'm pretty much asking you to bloat your budget, but I'm not really a believer in making small GPU upgrades. It should be something that makes you scream "Yes! Performance leap bitches!" considering I went from a 8600GS > HD5770 > GTX580/GTX660 Ti > GTX780 :P
    I said I have a 7850, not a 7870. I am considering the GTX 770 as an option however. I do need to get a CPU cooler and I will probably get one after my next pay. I was looking at the Noctua NH-C12P so it will fit easily into my Silverstone Grandia case, however I could probably throw a dual radiator cooler into my case if were the Swiftech H220 since the case has multiple 120mm fan bays in the bottom, but I don't think that is good for airflow. All I know is that I won't be buying another Corsair H series cooler, my H80 only lasted a year and a half before the pump died.

And I know my processor isn't the issue, it's running at 35% load on average just in MWO alone and doesn't peak above 50% during even the most intense moments and my processor is running at stock speed plus turbo boost clocks it up to 3.8Ghz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, well in that case I guess you can go for a 760, it's definitely good value.

Didn't know you had a Silverstone Grandia, NH-C12P is a good choice even though $75 seems a little steep.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-08-26 at 11:19 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze