question with lube oil for video card fan

hello i'm in need of some help and can't really figure out if i can do this or not..but my video cards fan has been running and then it'll stop every few seconds then start again, repeat..least this morning it has been and was up at 100c before launching any games. my question is i heard i might be able to fix the fan by using lube oil and i've watched a few videos on it already so i got an idea how to do it. i don't have any oil though at the moment and i'm not sure i can really run out and get any from a store till maybe this weekend but i found some wahl universal c1 cleaning/lube oil and i was wondering if anyone has a good idea if it'd be safe to use that as the oil for my fan? or what..thanks in advance for any help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I would just replace the fan. Or at the very least, blow it clean to make sure dust isnt blocking it, and maybe give it a -tiny- squirt of WD-40. Tiny. Do not be liberal. WD-40 (and many non-conductive oils) can act as insulators. Remove card from system before doing any of this, obviously. This really only ought to act as a temporary fix. 3rd party GPU coolers are usually pretty cheap.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by mercs213 View Post
    You should just be able to buy a fan and replace the current one on it. What card do you have? Be specific.
    i'm looking into that but i won't be able to get a replacement fan till the weekend depending on prices, i've got a radeon hd 6870. if that oil i have would work or help and not harm anything i'd use it till then.

Quote Originally Posted by mercs213 View Post
    Depending on who manufactured your card, you may be able to contact them and ask for a new fan.

If you are comfortable with taking the card apart and removing the fan, you can find markings and most likely get one off eBay.

This is from an XFX 6870: http://i.imgur.com/yFGpCoj.jpg
    alright i'll try contacting them and see what i can do from there and if not then i've got the fan removed at the moment and it's the same as your picture pretty much. thanks for the help and also one last thing..would it be a good idea to find a heatsink to get for it also? the card has some form of a heatsink already but i figure maybe theres something better?

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Yeah, I would just replace the fan. Or at the very least, blow it clean to make sure dust isnt blocking it, and maybe give it a -tiny- squirt of WD-40. Tiny. Do not be liberal. WD-40 (and many non-conductive oils) can act as insulators. Remove card from system before doing any of this, obviously. This really only ought to act as a temporary fix. 3rd party GPU coolers are usually pretty cheap.
    Or use mineral oil instead of WD40.

As is with car engines. Taking the entire thing apart, cleaning each and every individual part then re-assemble it would yield the best result. Guessing this is out of the question, remove the plastic cover and blow the dust out. Canned air is preferable, but blowing with your mouth and a few Q-tip should be enough. At the very least blow around the fan area if you're not too keen on even taking the plastic cover off.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!