10+ Year Old Account

Character models not necessarily way far out.

So calm yourselves, they may still be a very big part of the next expansion

Here's hoping, it's not a dealbreaker for me but i would be dissapointed.

Deleted
    All GC said was that they started working on the new models very recently and that it was a mistake to announce them so early. It definitely doesn't mean that the models are "not way far out".

It means that, since we don't know when they started them, and we don't know what "relatively recently" is, we don't know how long it took them to get 25% done. Therefore, we have no way of knowing how long it will take for them to get 100% done.

However, weren't they working on the dwarf around Blizzcon 2011? So that's roughly two years for 25% completion. There is no way they can move at the same pace they have been and get 100% done in a reasonable timeframe-- by the time they're finished, the dwarf will be outdated again!

I'm hopeful that the addition of the new team members will allow them to speed up the process. I think they can manage it if they shoot to include some of them with the next expansion, and do not add another new race.

I hate to say it, but yeah, I think Blizzard does need to stop talking about things too early. They've gotten people excited about a lot of things in the past like the Dance Studio, Rexxar doing something cool, the High King arc being an epic Herculean story, Kul Tiras being destined for Cataclysm, and then ultimately canceling these things. If you don't know you can get something really exciting out, don't mention it, because making people expect something cool is coming and then it never does, is worse than never mentioning it at all.

On the other hand, maybe the lesson is to do whatever it takes to put in a feature if it gets a huge amount of hype (Dalaran moving).

At the very least, in this specific case, they could have specified in the interview that the 25% is from recent work. I swear they were talking about nearly finishing the dwarves some time ago, but maybe they haven't really been working on this project that heavily, and most of the work has been done more recently. If that's the case, they should have mentioned that in the interview in the first place. It's pretty obvious that if you bring something up, and then a few years later you say you've barely gotten anywhere, that people are going to wonder why it's taking so long if you don't say why it's taking so long.

I feel this is good news though, and I just want to say again, I really hope I'm not coming off as mean or ungrateful toward Blizzard. I want the new character models and I know they're a lot of work. I also want Blizzard to get credit for the hard work they're doing, though, so I just wanted to throw out a little advice on how to handle something like this. I'm sure they've considered what I've said, so maybe the real lesson is to just check your responses a couple more times to make sure they're as clear as possible. I know I edit my posts like crazy even after I'm sure I've got it right. XP
    Last edited by Jokubas; 2013-08-26 at 08:49 PM.

Deleted
    It's a little fuzzy, but I remember them talking about the dwarf one being nearly done during MoP beta.

Anyway, I guess things will start clearing up at Blizzcon, and who knows - we may even get to see some models go live before the next expansion. They did say that there's a chance of us seeing them before the end of MoP.

He said they started to work on models early.

But then you have to remenber Blizzard's ''soon''.
    Soon may be a patch from now, a year, 5 years, or never.

So considering the meaning of ''soon'' for Blizzard, I'd take the meaning of ''early'' for them with a grain of salt too.

Quote Originally Posted by Exuja View Post
    It's a little fuzzy, but I remember them talking about the dwarf one being nearly done during MoP beta.

Anyway, I guess things will start clearing up at Blizzcon, and who knows - we may even get to see some models go live before the next expansion. They did say that there's a chance of us seeing them before the end of MoP.

This. They started talking about doing it soon after 4.3 and implied nearly being done with the dwarf models before MoP's release. I'm not sure what GC's definition of "recently" is. But it's off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    He said they started to work on models early.

But then you have to remenber Blizzard's ''soon''.
    Soon may be a patch from now, a year, 5 years, or never.

So considering the meaning of ''soon'' for Blizzard, I'd take the meaning of ''early'' for them with a grain of salt too.

Was about to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    This. They started talking about doing it soon after 4.3 and implied nearly being done with the dwarf models before MoP's release. I'm not sure what GC's definition of "recently" is. But it's off.

- - - Updated - - -

Was about to say.
    I think this can translate then to they're putting a lot of effort forth now to finish them.

Honestly this is a good sign. It means they may be done by either:

A) Next expansion's launch
    B) Next expansion's first major patch

That'd be a HUGE addition for one of the major patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    TC: "But yeah, there's a long way to go. And I also don't know that, when we launch the new character models, I don't know that they'll all be done at the same time. We'll probably have a good number of them done, and we'll launch those, and we'll continue to update more throughout the patch cycle. We figure players would rather have some earlier than wait forever until they're all done. Not forever but, a longer time. Might feel forever. Blizzard soon."
    Sure sounds like it's far off to me.
    Look! Words!

10+ Year Old Account
    So what does this post tweet show? Seems like a typical answer. We will get them in 2021

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm willing to bet that we'll see them in unfinished versions/concept art within the next expansions trailer announcement at Blizzcon. They've got the man power and the resources to do them in time for the next expansion's release in what will likely be early-mid 2014.

I am certainly not worried that we'll be waiting for them any longer than we're already are.

All it will need is for this expansion to be done with so that they can apply full focus to prepping the next expansion for beta.
    Butts.

How delicious it will be when we finally get them, and people get bored of them within a week.

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    How delicious it will be when we finally get them, and people get bored of them within a week.
    Speak for yourself, as a roleplayer, how my character looks is something I fuss about often in terms of outfits and transmog against the old models :P I will never get bored of having a Human or an Orc with proper individual fingers, expressions, better animations and textures as opposed to the lego block hands, blocky bodies with razor sharp corners at the joints/shoulders enough to poke an eye out and those terrible textures that appear horribly blended and bland.
    Butts.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    I think this can translate then to they're putting a lot of effort forth now to finish them.

Honestly this is a good sign. It means they may be done by either:

A) Next expansion's launch
    B) Next expansion's first major patch

That'd be a HUGE addition for one of the major patches.

If what Ghostcrawler says basically means that they've now started to put in more effort into them, I can only approve. I hope you are right.
    Last edited by Yarathir; 2013-08-27 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    They said they had the dwarf close to completion around time of launch for MoP. Also outdated by what? Pandaren are the standard. Unless they add another race of better quality in the next expansion they won't be outdated at all. And adding another race instead of focusing on these player models would just be stupid.
    Pandaren are leaps and bounds better than the worgen and goblins, who are only a year and a half older than the Pandaren. Compare the Pandaren to the Blood Elves and Draenei, who are 6 years older.

If the dwarves were complete at the start of Mists, then in one year at their current pace, Blizzard will have completed around 17% of the races that need to be updated.

If they continue at that same pace, as I said in my post, it will take them 5 and a half years to complete 100% of the character models from right now.

The dwarves and Pandaren, created a year ago, would be 6 and a half years older than whatever racial model they complete last. That's a larger gap than between the Pandaren and the Blood Elves and Draenei. How can you say that the dwarves wouldn't look outdated compared to those newest models, or to other video game graphics 6 and a half years from now?

Also note that this is all illustrative as to why they can't maintain the same pace and expect to have the models out in a reasonable time frame. I'm certain that they will be increasing their pace with the increases to their development team.