1. #1

    disci or shadow?

    hi guys i have a priest 90 whit 22k conquest to cap,until end of season,i have also Rdruid give me opinion is better spriest or disci for upcoming patch?

  2. #2
    One is a DPS role, one is a healer role. It's like comparing apples to oranges. But I feel I should mention discipline is a grade A healing spec, whereas shadow is lackluster in terms of damage (at least in PvE, but I suspect it's not very different in PvP).
    Last edited by Thirteen; 2013-08-23 at 11:30 AM.

  3. #3
    Dreadlord veiledy0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Banjaluka
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    whereas shadow is lackluster in terms of damage (at least in PvE, but I suspect it's not very different in PvP).

    This begs to differ ^
    If played well Shadow can wreak such havoc on the opposing team, it's not even fun to watch them fall.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by veiledy0 View Post

    This begs to differ ^
    If played well Shadow can wreak such havoc on the opposing team, it's not even fun to watch them fall.
    A single data point is not a lot to base a conclusion on.

    And based on honor points won I would say that you won your battles but lost the war.

  5. #5
    Dreadlord veiledy0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Banjaluka
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnmean View Post
    A single data point is not a lot to base a conclusion on.
    The scoreboard looks pretty much like this every battleground I play. And this is even w/o a pocket healer.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnmean View Post
    And based on honor points won I would say that you won your battles but lost the war.
    I don't play BG's to win BG's themselves. I play to win on KB's and damage done (or those situations when you know you're your team's best player, and try to figure out who's their's, to engage as many 1v1's with him and shut him down), and damage is what Thirteen said he thinks we lack.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by veiledy0 View Post
    I don't play BG's to win BG's themselves. I play to win on KB's and damage done (or those situations when you know you're your team's best player, and try to figure out who's their's, to engage as many 1v1's with him and shut him down), and damage is what Thirteen said he thinks we lack.
    This is not evidence that Shadow causes tons of damage, it's evidence that a geared and competent player attempting to farm BGs for a maximum number of kills can do so quite easily. I sure wouldn't call Shadow lackluster, and I personally find their spread damage pretty difficult to deal with, but a BG screenshot isn't really evidence for that.

  7. #7
    Dreadlord veiledy0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Banjaluka
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is not evidence that Shadow causes tons of damage, it's evidence that a geared and competent player attempting to farm BGs for a maximum number of kills can do so quite easily.
    Well this is what damage in the game is actually balanced about. It's not (nor it should be) balanced about how classes perform on average, it's balanced around how they perform at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I sure wouldn't call Shadow lackluster, and I personally find their spread damage pretty difficult to deal with, but a BG screenshot isn't really evidence for that.
    It's not just spread damage. When left to freecast in Battlegrounds we have pressure, we have burst, we have survivability, we have support. You name it, Shadow's got it. Tell me what other proof of Shadow's damage being very good would you need, and I'll provide.
    Last edited by veiledy0; 2013-08-25 at 09:17 PM.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

  8. #8
    Shadow will be poor in 5.4 due to Shadowform nerf so i guess you should go disci, but... you have already rdruid so going for another healer could be boring (atleast from my pov).

    So summarizing if you want stronger spec go disci, if you want more fun go shadow (term "more fun" can be missleading, it should be interpretate from personal perspective btw)

    Btw every spec can completly crush in bg if played on very high skill lvl as Veiled pictured Oh, hey cpt Obvious
    Carai an Caldazar! Carai an Ellisande! Al Ellisande!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by veiledy0 View Post
    Well this is what damage in the game is actually balanced about. It's not (nor it should be) balanced about how classes perform on average, it's balanced around how they perform at best.
    Steamrolling badly geared, poorly played characters in random BGs in not what we're balanced around. Rated BGs and 3v3 Arena are.

    Quote Originally Posted by veiledy0 View Post
    It's not just spread damage. When left to freecast in Battlegrounds we have pressure, we have burst, we have survivability, we have support. You name it, Shadow's got it. Tell me what other proof of Shadow's damage being very good would you need, and I'll provide.
    I never said Shadow's damage isn't good; it is. A screenshot of a random BG just isn't evidence of that. Literally every caster in the game can rack up the same sort of statistics. Shadow's RNG burst is indeed reasonably strong, but it doesn't remotely compare with that of Elemental Shaman and Frost Mages. It's the spread damage that makes them strong, not their ability to tunnel someone into the ground when freecasting. Their utility, of course, is very good, but that's not really at issue.

  10. #10
    Dreadlord veiledy0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Banjaluka
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Steamrolling badly geared, poorly played characters in random BGs in not what we're balanced around. Rated BGs and 3v3 Arena are. I never said Shadow's damage isn't good; it is. A screenshot of a random BG just isn't evidence of that.
    Damage done against a Rank1 team. Doing ok. Beaten by 2 Moonkins, on par with a multiple rank1 Destro lock, who surely knows what he's doing.
    Or this, as sort of a proof that overall dmg isn't everything, but rather how and when it is distributed and applied.
    I don't even wanna start with RBG screenshots, 'cause the damage a SP can do in there is just beyond silly.

    My point is that Shadow's damage is more than ok. If you can play it well, you'll do well. Which does stand for any other class as well, but hardly any class outside DK's, Moonkins and Affliction locks can deal this much damage in PvP, no matter how good you play them.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by veiledy0 View Post
    Damage done against a Rank1 team. Doing ok. Beaten by 2 Moonkins, on par with a multiple rank1 Destro lock, who surely knows what he's doing.
    I don't see how this makes your point. Being thoroughly outdamaged by another spread damage class and being on par with a more single target heavy class seems consistent with my claim that Shadow damage isn't anything special. I think most would agree that it's common knowledge that Elemental burst damage is presently out of control and that Mage burst is heavier than Shadow as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by veiledy0 View Post
    I don't even wanna start with RBG screenshots, 'cause the damage a SP can do in there is just beyond silly.
    Right, like I said, their spread damage is very strong. I'd say that my general experience is that Balance is even stronger, but that might be wrong, I'm not terribly experienced in RBGs.

    Quote Originally Posted by veiledy0 View Post
    My point is that Shadow's damage is more than ok. If you can play it well, you'll do well. Which does stand for any other class as well, but hardly any class outside DK's, Moonkins and Affliction locks can deal this much damage in PvP, no matter how good you play them.
    So, you're saying that 30% of the classes can deal as much damage? I guess I'd say that's about right. Warriors are pretty gimp at the moment, Elemental's insane but is more burst than big total damage numbers, the same is largely true for Mages. Hunters are spectacularly dangerous, but not really because of bigtime total damage. I don't suppose we're really disagreeing - my only original point was that a screenshot of a steamrolled BG doesn't tell us much of anything about a class, and I'll stand by that.

  12. #12
    Dreadlord veiledy0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Banjaluka
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't see how this makes your point. Being thoroughly outdamaged by another spread damage class and being on par with a more single target heavy class seems consistent with my claim that Shadow damage isn't anything special.
    If you don't get thoroughly outdamaged by a Moonkin, he's doing it wrong. A Moonkin will always top, as most of their damage comes from instants, which are virtually unstoppable, especially in a RBG or a Castercleave vs Castercleave scenario.
    And Destruction is in no way a single target heavy class (hint: Havoc Shadowburn/Chaos Bolt Cleave). Not to mention their team has twice more often interrupts (hint again: GoSac Spell Lock CD reset).
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •