Thread: 100% protein

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

100% protein

I have a little problem and i hope u guys can help me up,after 1.5yers i manage to win the fight with fat, i lost 30kg in the last 1.5 year and damn i fell good, now im 70kg and according to my doctor im at my perfect weight, now the problem, i still have some fat near my abbs , i want to maintain the weight but i want to lose that fat, the problem is that i can't eat meat, fish, chicken none ( i manage to convince myself that meat is bad when i was a kid and now every time i eat meat i fell sick)

I will start gym next month and i was wondering how can i take my daily protein dose? Should i buy 100% Whey Protein, can that supplement compensate for my lack of eating meat?

Deleted
    beans are an awesome protein source

Deleted
    You get protein from so much more than just meat. Dairy (especially quark and 0% fat greek yoghurt - just make sure the sugar levels aren't mind blowing), nuts, seeds, eggs, beans, soy... You can obviously buy protein powder, but you get it from so many different sources as it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are plenty of good sources of protein that don't include meat. Whey protein is the best being at 80-100% protein, and as long as you are not lactose intolerant it would make an OK substitute as long as you are eating plenty of other foods (Basically don't treat it as a meal replacement). If you want to do it with a meal I think tofu is like 50% protein so that would be a good start, along with the aforementioned beans!

Rice and beans form a complete protein. As others have said, nuts, eggs, supplements. If you're srs. about it you'll want to look at what kinds of proteins you're consuming, get a reliable source on the balance of proteins you should be taking if you want to gain/lose/etc.

That or get over your aversion to meat. Sounds like you admonish your younger-self a little for the hang-up you have about meat.

Deleted
    Protein powders are fine, so are nuts and beans.

1g of protein per lb of body weight. So that's 150g~ for you. Vegan diets have significantly more trouble getting high levels of protein, but it's still possible. Are you full "no meat"? Whey powder isn't vegan friendly.

Also, do you eat eggs/drink milk or are you just "no meat"? Both of those are great sources of protein too.

Deleted
    Wow its seems that i didn't do my homework, thanks for the answers, i have one more question if it's possible
    I decide to stop eating white bread, now the problem is that from what i read some say white bread is healthy, some say its not, u know for a beginner internet is very confusing some times

Deleted
    Stay away from white carbs if you can. You want complex carbs, so brown grains.

Deleted
    i eat everything except meat, only meat i can eat is chicken breast,is not that i follow a diet its just i can't eat meat every time i eat i fell sick especially fish meat

or... book an appointment at a psychatrist and get over your irrational fear of meat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arks View Post
    Wow its seems that i didn't do my homework, thanks for the answers, i have one more question if it's possible
    I decide to stop eating white bread, now the problem is that from what i read some say white bread is healthy, some say its not, u know for a beginner internet is very confusing some times
    Bread is high in carbs, so it causes blood sugar level spikes, but it has other redeeming qualities, for example under UK law, it has to be fortified with calcium, iron, niacin and thiamin, which your body requires.... like everything else, it just has to be done in moderation.

Deleted
    White bread isn't good for you, you just end up eating empty carbs and it's out of your system very quickly (= you don't get energy for that long). White flour is very processed and it's got absolutely no nutritional value. The darker the bread is, the better.

Deleted
    i eat everything except meat, only meat i can eat is chicken breast,is not that i follow a diet its just i can't eat meat every time i eat i fell sick especially fish meat
    You're fine then. Chicken breast is amazing. On average you're getting anywhere from 20-28g of protein per 100g of chicken depending on the quality.

Just to point out, depending on what you want to achieve, not all proteins are good (Useful). So just because something has x% protein in it, doesnt mean its best for what you want to achieve. To make it simple, different proteins contain different amount and types of amino acids. There is plenty to read around about what protein contains what, so i suggest you read up a bit and find what protein contains what etc.

p.s. As far as i recall egg is quite high when it comes to good/bad amino acids for muscle building.

I have a little problem and i hope u guys can help me up,after 1.5yers i manage to win the fight with fat, i lost 30kg in the last 1.5 year and damn i fell good, now im 70kg and according to my doctor im at my perfect weight, now the problem, i still have some fat near my abbs , i want to maintain the weight but i want to lose that fat, the problem is that i can't eat meat, fish, chicken none ( i manage to convince myself that meat is bad when i was a kid and now every time i eat meat i fell sick)

I will start gym next month and i was wondering how can i take my daily protein dose? Should i buy 100% Whey Protein, can that supplement compensate for my lack of eating meat?
    First off, male or female? I'm assuming male.

If that's the case, then yes, whey protein is a good option, though still not the best.

If you're female, then soy protein is what you should use, but again not the best.

Beans are of course an excellent source of protein. Can't really go wrong short of things like fatty refried beans. Also consider seeds like quinoa, lentils, etc. Just do some research on what seeds are best.

And of course there is tofu, though tofu can be something of an aquired taste, and also has a bit of saturated fat which isn't so good, but not terrible so long as you mix the types of fats you take in. Try to avoid saturated and trans fats when possible, and make sure that most of the fats you take in are polyunsaturated. Just don't be afraid of the F word. You need fats to survive, it's just a balance of maintaining the right ones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeria View Post
    You get protein from so much more than just meat. Dairy (especially quark and 0% fat greek yoghurt - just make sure the sugar levels aren't mind blowing), nuts, seeds, eggs, beans, soy... You can obviously buy protein powder, but you get it from so many different sources as it is.
    Pretty much all you need to know, for starters.

Also, who told you white bread is healthy? And which definition of healthy are you using? There's no nutrients in there that your body needs and can't get in a 'better' way. It's mostly heavily refined carbs. Read up on slow carbs, blood sugar and insulin, and topics connected to it. There is A LOT of conflicting information out there, partly because there's loads of money to be made with food. Plus it has not been 100% figured out (researched) what exactly is going on in the human body. Plus different bodies react differently to the same input.
    In my opinion the best thing you can do is read around a bit and always double-check WHO is giving you the information, and with which intent / scientific knowledge. There are diabetes-related forums (that i think can explain the blood-sugar concept pretty well), there is body-building forums (bro-science overload, you will die to 'supplement' overdose if you follow that shit blindly xD), there is WHO and government organizations that give out information (rather reliable, but still, think while you are reading), there is fat nerds (proudly telling you that they switched to diet coke to start a healthy life :/ ). Best advice I can give you is look who is giving you what information, how they look and behave, overall attitude, background. When you have conflicting information try to see the pattern; which actors take which side, and what are their common interests. Stay critical and see what works for you. Good luck
    Last edited by mmocb77704d67b; 2013-08-27 at 11:07 AM.

The vegetarian communities in southern India base their diet on lentils. Protein, slow-release carbohydrates, minerals and trace elements, vitamins, they make you feel full and are dirt cheap. They are also extremely easy to cook and can be used with pretty much all savoury flavours.

depends on how quickly you want to build your abs. If you just want to excercise 1/week, you don't have to change your diet. Your body is generally able to produce the required proteins by itself if you don't stress it too much. I myself gained muscle while actually losing weight when I was swimming once per week while similarly eating less calories/unhealthy stuff. Btw... are you a man or a woman? For it is way harder to lose lower belly-fat for women >.<

If you want to change your diet: Eat veggies (beans, soy, nuts, spinach...), eggs and fish or seafood. Just don't overdo it with pure proteins. Not every metabolism is able to handle the resulting massive amount of urea in your body well.

Lentils, Legumes, Tofu (don't believe the fucking bullshit some people say about tofu and estrogen, lol), and if you can take dairy, Eggs and Milk.

Those are all more than sufficient sources of proteins. What are your goals in the gym? Is it just weight loss that you're after? If that's the case then you shouldn't need more than 70-80 grams of protein daily. The average man doing a desk job needs only 60 grams daily. You can easily get that without even trying. Protein shakes are unnecessary unless you want them for the convenience. If you're pursuing a serious strength/hypertrophy routine, then you want roughly 1.5 grams of protein per kg of body weight, and you'll be increasing that to 2.0-2.5 grams per kg of body weight over the years. Those are the kinds of protein requirements that typically necessitate protein shakes.