High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Smile Regional Soda/Pop

Howdy all,

Killing time at work while enjoying a can of Cheerwine, and remembered how I, until recently, could not purchase it in Florida. I could find it as far south as southern Georgia and pretty much all the way up into parts of Virginia, but not Florida. Was curious to know if anybody else out there across the states had any particular drink and/or snack that you can't normally find in your own locale, but look forward to when road-tripping through other parts of the country. Cheerwine (delicious hybrid between Cherry Coke and Dr. Pepper) is my best example, as it was something I only ever got at my grandparents' house as a kid

Quote Originally Posted by Thralk View Post
    Howdy all,

Killing time at work while enjoying a can of Cheerwine, and remembered how I, until recently, could not purchase it in Florida. I could find it as far south as southern Georgia and pretty much all the way up into parts of Virginia, but not Florida. Was curious to know if anybody else out there across the states had any particular drink and/or snack that you can't normally find in your own locale, but look forward to when road-tripping through other parts of the country. Cheerwine (delicious hybrid between Cherry Coke and Dr. Pepper) is my best example, as it was something I only ever got at my grandparents' house as a kid
    Jolt cola used to be popular in california a long time ago, but now I dont see it anywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't name just one but when I go back to visit Oklahoma I try and visit Pops66. The largest collection of soda in the world. It's so fun to go

http://www.pops66.com
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

We have Jolt in NJ but never heard of cheerwine.
    I stopped drinking soda a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sort of the opposite, but Sprecher is probably the best root beer ever made and I have yet to see it sold outside of Wisconsin. You can order it online, but I've never seen it on store shelves, so I can't get it when I'm out of the state.

10+ Year Old Account
    They have all the drinks you guys are mentioning at Pops66. Go check out the website.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

10+ Year Old Account
    Faygo was pretty prevalent where I grew up, I haven't seen it sold where I live now. Although I rarely drink pop anymore so it's no sweat. I'd still rank their root beer as the best I've had.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, it's Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper. I can never find it here but when I go visit my sister in FL i pick up a few 12 packs to bring back with me.

Ale81 "A Late One" is an amazing Gingerale found around here in Kentucky!

The only thing that I could possibly miss where I am living is Dunkin Doughnuts. I dont really ever go buy doughnuts but if someone brings them in to share, Ill have one and DD is the best. It should be coming here soon since I remember an advertisement looking for interested franchise managers in the area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ale-81. Sometime it's pronounced A-late-one.

You can only get it in Southern Ohio, Southern Indiana, and Kentucky. It's a lightly carbonated Ginger Ale with other flavors. It's tasty beyond words.

-edit-

Damn you hugemidget.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

10+ Year Old Account

I would think that this stuff has a wide distribution, but apparently 80% of it's sales are still from Michigan, which surprised me. Talk about carbonation..

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd heard of websites like Pops66 that sold various types of drinks and shipped anywhere, I'm just fondly remembering a time where you had to take a road trip to get some of these things. I may very well be taking a long road trip next summer, and like having stuff like this to look forward to

There was another hearty ginger beer I remember from long ago called Buffalo Rock, not bad, but for a little kid the ginger taste was almost overwhelming!

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post

I would think that this stuff has a wide distribution, but apparently 80% of it's sales are still from Michigan, which surprised me. Talk about carbonation..
    Right next to Michigan in Ontario and Vernors was my dad's choice for Ginger Ale. We had friends in Quebec ask us to bring them a few cases because it wasn't sold their.

White Cream Soda, could buy it in Quebec and New Brunswick (Grandparents live there) but not in Ontario (which is where it's bottled) so when we went to visit them we would drink that and when they come to visit us they bring several bottles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thralk View Post
    I'd heard of websites like Pops66 that sold various types of drinks and shipped anywhere, I'm just fondly remembering a time where you had to take a road trip to get some of these things. I may very well be taking a long road trip next summer, and like having stuff like this to look forward to

There was another hearty ginger beer I remember from long ago called Buffalo Rock, not bad, but for a little kid the ginger taste was almost overwhelming!
    If you want to do a serious road trip, Route 66 has got to be the most iconic in the US imo. Rent a motorcycle or a convertible and ride route 66 and stop by Pops66. You can spend an entire day there.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    Right next to Michigan in Ontario and Vernors was my dad's choice for Ginger Ale. We had friends in Quebec ask us to bring them a few cases because it wasn't sold their.

White Cream Soda, could buy it in Quebec and New Brunswick (Grandparents live there) but not in Ontario (which is where it's bottled) so when we went to visit them we would drink that and when they come to visit us they bring several bottles.
    It's pretty potent stuff. I equate it with being sick because my mommy would always make me drink it when I had a tummy ache, so I'm not a huge fan. A friend from HS lived with me for a few months while going to school in NYC, he found a store that sold it out here and nearly lost his top. It has some die hard fans, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    Sort of the opposite, but Sprecher is probably the best root beer ever made and I have yet to see it sold outside of Wisconsin. You can order it online, but I've never seen it on store shelves, so I can't get it when I'm out of the state.
    Funny story about that. I visited some friends in Milwaukee to pick them up to go to a large gathering of friends in Michigan, and we were going to originally bring a keg of sprecher beer and another of their rootbeer. We ended up not having enough space to take both, when it came to a vote, the rootbeer actually won. Yes... it is that good, and their beer is damn good too.

Sarsaparilla. I love the stuff. Love it, love it, love it.

Sadly, you can only get it in the UK, and even there it's rare. -_-

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I can still find Faygo down in Florida. Jolt used to be available up in the panhandle, but harder to find down in the central FL area. You guys talking about Sprecher Rootbeer really have me wanting to try and order some, as to date the best I've had is fresh from an A&W Stand when I was visiting family in Minnesota.

Deleted
    Dandelion and Burdock. Whenever I talk to somebody from outside the UK about it you can see their eyes glazing over.