Thread: GW2 PVE Endgame

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Indeed, that is why I say it is a misnomer for mmos.
    A bit. But an endgame can be indefinite.

That is to say it is possible for a situation to be created by which the game or negotiation can not be completed as fitting the rules of play/goals. But the game/negotiation itself are ongoing. Forever, potentially.

There is a whole field of study dedicated to just such situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    or what the old guy on the street corner says it means if you give him a quarter.
    What does he say it means? I'm interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The term is rather specific; final stages of play before completion/end. The parameters of which are defined by limited options to the advancement of a goal or process.
    Ok and how dose GW2 not have this.

As I said this apply's to many things. If someone only pvp's there goal could be to just kill people or to get better gear "cosmetic or not" therefor doing it get's them closer to the goal they have and that is there endgame.

The same can be said for those who like fighting The Shatterer. If there goal is to kill him 1 million times each kill gets them closer to that goal and that is there endgame. My point is there is no set in stone way of how endgame would be played because its different from person to person. At its core all endgame is is person A wanting Goal C and will do Subject B to get it. Once achieved there endgame changes to something else but the core stays the same. That is why what is endgame is just a opinion.

If you "Person A" want to get 12/12 Heroic Mode "Goal C" then you will fight all boss's "Subject B" to achieve this. The core is the same and that is all that matters.

A guy who only grinds ore could want it to sell for gold therefor his endgame is Him "Person A" Grinding Ore "Subject B" to get gold "Goal C"

I am sure there is a better way to word it then like I have but as I said endgame is just what someone likes to do and thats it.

Person A dose Subject B and achieve's Goal C = Endgame.

Example: Paragon wants to be world first in 12/12HC therefor "Person A" Paragon grinds gear In raids and pushs them selfs to do fast kills "Subject B" and in the end they get world first "Goal C"
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-08-28 at 06:49 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I will give you, the OP, a short answer: you don't have to worry what to do at any time in GW2 because of the scaling mechanic and the 2-weekly releases. Anet created content so it doesn't matter where you are, you'll get down-scaled to that area once you're above suggested level. So you and your friend will never have to worry if one is outleveling the other or a zone. You can always play together.

Living Story is like playing in a TV-series. There is one "big" story behind the chapters, but those work as standalone as well... so don't worry what you might have missed, chance is that the best parts come back in one form or another (like fractals - minidungeons which relive past history, working on Asuran time travel tech). Just play the new content and enjoy the game without ever worrying about your level or mechanics beyond. Levels are not important in GW2 once your lv.80 (which can be done in 1-2 weeks).

The best part in GW2 is not some instanced 5 or 10 or 20man dungeon/raid content but the world itself. Explore new areas, find hidden challenges alone or with your friends, hell it's just fun to roam around and find new events where before there was nothing going on. GW2 feels to me more like Zelda open world than WoW where the focus is on dungeon content imho. If you enjoyed action adventure games like Zelda for the world they offered, you will love GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Ok and how dose GW2 not have this.
    Because GW2 is not narrowing. One has as many [more probably] options to the goals of the game open at level 80 as at 32. Regardless of play mode too.

An endgame is inherently a limited option scenario before completion.

In your opinion.

Also each content patch that comes out every 2 weeks has a limited time it needs to be done or you can't do it. How dose that not count as your "Limited Option Scenario"

Once again there is no set in stone way endgame works its just it has not changed much in over the years.

Thats like saying apples are fine but adding chocolate to them means its not apple anymore.

All endgame is is Person/Group A doing Subject B to achieve Goal C.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-08-28 at 07:01 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a few friends who play EVERY title they have on the hardest possible difficulty even if it`s just ridiculously hard. It takes them months to complete a game which i complete in a few weeks, at hard or medium.

Same goes with GW2, in a different sense. You can keep on playing for months, for achievements, personal goals, map completion etc. But at the end of the day, there`s nothing new in terms of char progression.

If you want to enjoy a well made game for 2 months, go ahead and buy/play gw2. Imho thats the case for 80% ~ of gamers.
    There will be people who will play the game till they drop dead. Some people are into BDSM too. Nomsayin`? ;D

In your opinion.
    Also Each content patch that comes out every 2 weeks has a limited time it needs to be done or you can't do it. How dose that not count as your "Limited Option Scenario"
    well if you don't play GW2 enough in 2 weeks, that you can complete content which can be completed in less than 6 hours, maybe mmos aren't the right genre for you. When you log in in the last days of a new update, simply play permanent content and try the new chapter of the living story a few days after.

It's not like you miss a new chapter, it goes away and you are left with nothing. New things to do pop out constantly in this game. None of the temporary rewards are significant in your power level at all, it's just cosmetics. From only a few days ago we also know that those cosmetics are achieveable in the long term if you really want the stuff. It won't get easier, no... rarity whether by getting it at the event or in the long term via Black Lion Scraps will be relatively similar - so that those who got it first don't feel screwed because others get it with much less effort.

If Living Story were content which goes away and leaves you with nothing... yes then I would be absolutely with you. But now, new stuff all the time, lately LS-chapters also leave behind permanent content, why should I have the right to complain, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    If Living Story were content which goes away and leaves you with nothing... yes then I would be absolutely with you. But now, new stuff all the time, lately LS-chapters also leave behind permanent content, why should I have the right to complain, really?
    Don't get me wrong I am not complaing at all I am just saying how dose the 2 week content not count in Fencers definson of Endgame.

To me Endgame is and always will be Person/Group A doing Subject B to Reach Goal C.

Fencers said
    The 2 week content updates fits in that because they are there for a limited time and once they are gone you can't do "Most" of them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Schalde View Post
    Me and my GF recently started playing GW2 and we really enjoy the leveling so far( at lvl 20 as we speak)

since the game has developed a year now, i was thinking how the game is at lvl 80 if you are only interested in PVE?
    It's already been said many times here that GW2 doesn't offer the typical endgame found in games like WoW i.e. doing raids and grinding out the raid gear. There are things though that you can do constantly that can be a type of endgame of sorts, such as doing WvW, PVP, and Fractals of the Mists. Fractals of the Mists fall into the pve category you're looking for, they're a series of mini dungeons that constantly scale up in difficulty the more you do, and new fractals are being added to the game, in fact three new fractals are to be added by the end of the year. Also WvW is mostly pvp with three servers fighting each other mostly for bragging rights and fun, but there are PVE type objectives laced throughout this mode of play such as every time your server wishes to take over an enemy tower, camp, etc they have to fight through npc guards with some of the bigger objectives having boss type NPCs.

To me GW2 is like playing a game such as one of the Elder Scrolls games, and GW2 does throw out continuous updates to the game which is similar to an Elder Scrolls game throwing out continuous dlc packs, in GW2's case though the updates/dlc have all been free so far.

None of the Guild Wars games have an endgame. The question isn't suitable to the operation of the series. But there is plenty to keep you playing all the same.
    Um GW1 had just as much of an end-game as WoW has. GW1 Dungeons ranged from 4 people to 12 people and were difficult. Not only that, but wipes were very punishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Um GW1 had just as much of an end-game as WoW has. GW1 Dungeons ranged from 4 people to 12 people and were difficult. Not only that, but wipes were very punishing.
    Yes they where if you wiped in FOW or Underworld you had to start all over.

In your opinion.
    No. There is a definite application of the term.

I already told you there is ample evidence and precedence to confirm what I am stating as such. If you choose to not investigate or educate yourself on the term and it's usage that is your prerogative.

No. There is a definite application of the term.

I already told you there is ample evidence and precedence to confirm what I am stating as such. If you choose to not investigate or educate yourself on the term and it's usage that is your prerogative.
    And I told you someones opinion on what the term means dose not matter to me nore dose there article.

Tell me what makes someone's opinion of the term better then my mine???? Why should I just accept what they believe the term means and not believe it the way I do.

The problem with that term is like most other things over time it needs to be updated. Back in 1999-2004 that term may have worked the way you stated it but in 2013 it dose not therefor it must change with the times.

All we can do is agree to disagree. In your opinion GW2 has no endgame and in my opinion it has it by the truck load.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-08-29 at 02:21 AM.

And I told you someones opinion on what the term means dose not matter to me nore dose there article.
    Education, ubiquity, authority, expertise, study, repetition, recognition, etc. The usual things by which we measure the validity and accuracy of things in the human experience of communication and understanding.

This is now, off topic however.

Please, keep the conversation to the implementation and application of gameplay in relation to Guild Wars 2. Specifically, to the OP's premise of a PVE endgame.

Thanks.

Education, ubiquity, authority, expertise, study, repetition, recognition, etc. The usual things by which we measure the validity and accuracy of things in the human experience of communication and understanding.

This is now, off topic however.

Please, keep the conversation to the implementation and application of gameplay in relation to Guild Wars 2. Specifically, to the OP's premise of a PVE endgame.

Thanks.
    How is talking about Guild Wars 2 endgame offtopic in a thread about Guild Wars 2 endgame????? And I highly dought anyone worth speaking about from any "Education, ubiquity, authority, expertise, study, repetition, recognition, source" did research on MMO Endgame.

Personally I think you pulled the "Its offtopic" because I disagree with you about the term endgame and guild wars 2 having it and you really have nothing to prove otherwise besides "This guy say's so".

Talking about Endgame and what it means is not offtopic in a thread about a MMO's " In this case Guild Wars 2" Endgame.

But ill accept my Infraction for staying on topic...
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-08-29 at 02:36 AM.

What happens when the two brightest examples of opposite ends of precociousness clash on a public forum.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

How is talking about Guild Wars 2 endgame offtopic in a thread about Guild Wars 2 endgame?????
    We are not talking about endgame in GW2 anymore. The conversation is veering toward the term- one which you said you were not interested in speaking on within educated application. So there isn't really anything to say on the subject if you insist on willful ignorance or disregard.

I am sorry, but we can't have a discussion on your personal interpretation of... well, anything.

If you wish to talk about the parameters that define an endgame in the context of GW2- that is fine.

That is on-topic. Which I ask you to please remain.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-08-29 at 03:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    What happens when the two brightest examples of opposite ends of precociousness clash on a public forum.
    It gets Vizzled

- - - Updated - - -

We are not talking about endgame in GW2 anymore. The conversation is veering toward on on the term- one which you said you were not interested in speaking on within educated application. So there isn't really anything to say on the subject if you insist on willful ignorance or disregard.

I am sorry, but we can't have a discussion on your personal interpretation of... well, anything.

If you wish to talk about the parameters that define an endgame in the context of GW2- that is fine.

That is on topic. Which I ask you to please remain.
    Ok fine like I said early'er Guild Wars 2 dose have endgame but if the OP is looking for the Gear Grind style of endgame at most they will be able to grind for cosmetic gear.

The game is a one time buy of 60$ "or cheaper" and you can pick up and play anytime u want and take breaks anytime you want and you won't miss much.

......nvm
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-08-29 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    That's exactly what an MMO is about. IMHO, GW2 differs from games like WOW because you need to set your own goals. In WOW, a lot of that is prescribed to you through the gear progression.

The level 80 is an goal given to you when you start but if you do something like PVP then even that is not a goal. Some goals that one could set for yourself when you hit 80:

1) World completion
    2) Complete all of the jumping puzzles (not vistas)
    3) Get to a certain level in PVP or WvW
    4) Get a specific armor set
    5) Get a full set of exotic armor
    6) Get some ascended items
    7) Complete fractals to a high level
    8) Complete all of the dungeons
    9) Complete all of the world bosses
    10) Get a legendary
    11) Complete things like the living story as they come up.
    12) Get your achievement points up to a high level
    13) Collect mini pets
    14) Level alts

Thats just off the top of my head.
    Quit around 3 months ago I guess now.

Hit 80, got full exotic, farmed for around 1 month non stop (was unemployed at the time) and got Server 2nd Twilight on Sea of Sorrows. After obtaining such an amazing weapon and achieving nearly everything in game Lions Arch seemed like a great place to run around and talk in Vent to other people running around in Lions Arch.

We were the largest WvW guild on SoS "TS or Team Shatter" nearly every person from that guild quit, we dominated WvW but for what? Minor worldwide buffs... it just got bland and repetitive and eventually the hardcore raider in me drew me to another game called Neverwinter which promised raiding and Endgame.

What ever you do DO NOT GO TO NEVERWINTER. Biggest P2W game ever, Perfect World games should be avoided at all costs... after 1 month in this misery of a game and achieving every yet again the hardcore raider drew me back into WoW where I will have some sort of Endgame with my mates...

Maybe Wildstar will fill that gap, looks amazing (must not get too excited and be let down )