10+ Year Old Account

Why are people so offended by criticism on the internet?

This is something that has really puzzles me. When ever someone talks about something (a game for example) that some or a majority of people like and then critique it as being boring or awful, people will get really offended as if that person has also killed their family and burned their house.

Its always nice to defend your yourself and tell them why you disagree on why you think this product (or game) is great against the reviewer but to get completely defensive about it and raging for four hours against everyone isnt helping.

I have a habit of liking alot of really awful games people will slate them and call them awful all they want and you know what, it has no effect on me what so ever, I don't comment back I don't get angry or take it personally, I feel life is way more important outside of the internet but yet there are some people who are very stubborn top let things rest, they will stay there for 4hours until he feels everyone will agree with him.

I wonder how these people would cope in the real world when criticism is something you are going to get day in and day out in the work place, at least in my line of work.

Do you think the internet community (not all of us) take criticism way too personally and maybe we should just step back and say "I accept this guy has an opinion but I disagree and really enjoy it". Its wise to be constructive in your opinion and not be so whiny. Although I suspect (and I feel sorry for them) that these people don't even realize their awful attitude they are conveying.

I do expect alot of "welcome to the internet" replies but I want to know why are people like this? I mean yes I am sure most of them are trolls but seriously why are people so obsessed with their own thoughts that they cant accept anyone else's?

I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

"Stop liking what I don't like." etc. colliding with "Buyer's justification." With a dash of "reading too much into words and making a shit about it all."

In my experience it's usually the disagree-ee who gets all shitty about it not the disagree-er.

"I like this thing."
    "I'm not a fan."
    "Well you're a faggot."
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-08-28 at 07:03 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are either having a bad day so they spread their shitness to others or they get amusement out of it e.g. "some people just like to see the world burn".
    Hi

Rule #1 : Never take anything on the internet to heart.

What's sad is that people take things they hear from the internet to heart and get depressed and /wrists.

If only people realized that often times, people say things on the internet because they CAN, things that they would never say to anyone in person.

I can't take offense off anything anyone says on the internet because it's not personal. There is nothing personal about internet communication.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

OP, how dare you take offense to my being offended! You have no soul. Go Yankees.

*cries in the corner*

I have no problem if someone doesn't like what I like, the problem I have is when others begin to insult you because of said thing you like. If someone doesn't like the Xbox One, for what ever reason I'm fine with that, if someone tells me I'm an idiot for wanting an Xbox One that I get annoyed with.

People are offended by criticism in general, they just feel more free to voice it on the internet.

In the real world, people mostly just silently judge you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Part of it is because people on the internet are anonymous so they don't sugarcoat their disagreements, which in turn makes them sting even worse.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    People are offended by criticism in general, they just feel more free to voice it on the internet.

In the real world, people mostly just silently judge you.
    Well, criticism is a good thing as long as it is constructive. If someone criticises me constructively I won't be offended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteoria View Post
    Well, criticism is a good thing as long as it is constructive. If someone criticises me constructively I won't be offended.
    Yeah but no one on the series of tubes give a shit about being constructive.

It's part of why I hate WoW's LFR. In fact, its all of why I hate LFR. LFR was a great concept, but totally ruined by assholes who can't give constructive criticism when people make mistakes.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Because fuck you, that's why

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    This is something that has really puzzles me. When ever someone talks about something (a game for example) that some or a majority of people like and then critique it as being boring or awful, people will get really offended as if that person has also killed their family and burned their house.

Its always nice to defend your yourself and tell them why you disagree on why you think this product (or game) is great against the reviewer but to get completely defensive about it and raging for four hours against everyone isnt helping.

I have a habit of liking alot of really awful games people will slate them and call them awful all they want and you know what, it has no effect on me what so ever, I don't comment back I don't get angry or take it personally, I feel life is way more important outside of the internet but yet there are some people who are very stubborn top let things rest, they will stay there for 4hours until he feels everyone will agree with him.

I wonder how these people would cope in the real world when criticism is something you are going to get day in and day out in the work place, at least in my line of work.

Do you think the internet community (not all of us) take criticism way too personally and maybe we should just step back and say "I accept this guy has an opinion but I disagree and really enjoy it". Its wise to be constructive in your opinion and not be so whiny. Although I suspect (and I feel sorry for them) that these people don't even realize their awful attitude they are conveying.

I do expect alot of "welcome to the internet" replies but I want to know why are people like this? I mean yes I am sure most of them are trolls but seriously why are people so obsessed with their own thoughts that they cant accept anyone else's?

I mean heres how I think about it, people make a thread on a forum board to talk about something because maybe they are bored or just don't have anything better to do right... you are creating a topic to discuss... and with such a thing it can cover broad ranges... I think it all comes down to topic right. So if I say, "man Call of Duty: Ghosts looks awesome!", and that is what my thread is about, I want to talk to other people about the game in a positive manner... but it can't ever just be that easy. Some douchebag will always come into the thread and try to criticize you for liking the game. Its like if you dont want to be a part of the discussion and all you have to say is something negative or try to influence others to change their opinion why the hell are you even in the thread.

I think it comes down to the 'party crashers'. When your talking on the internet and someone suddenly decides to... challenge you in a sense and criticize your opinion or your statements then its like you are trying to rain on their parade. Its the very reason I avoid MMO-Champ almost completely these days. The general population of these forums are the complete, exact opposite of me. I'm a shooter/console player, everyone else here is PC/MMO gamer. I am more conservative, everyone here is more liberal. If I express any of my concerns/views I instantly get trolled/flamed/criticized all the damn time and its so annoying. Anyways thats off topic.

But thats my general opinion on it.
    Call me House.

Anonymity rarely brings out the best in people. I suspect we can all be stubborn and foolish in real life too, but that's something we're just better at hiding when we're face-to-face with someone.