Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SausageRawr View Post
    A little of a back-story: I'm a full time student, I'm 16 and just about to have yearly examinations in less than a week, my father is strict on me and my education and he's told me that I wont be able to play WoW for the next 2 weeks so I can study for these exams.

So last night, I spoke to my guild leader, I've been in this raiding guild for about 2-3 months on a pretty low populated server. We've finished ToT on normal, killed Lei Shen most of the time, so we are extremely capable of doing SOO, my father spoke to me and gave me a lecture on the whole "Do you want to succeed in life?" and what not..., I realize that this is pretty important, so I told my guild leader that I would have to be gone for 2 weeks, I would be back before the new patch hits. There are many stand-by's in the guild, and have the gear and the skill to be able to raid ToT, we are clearing ToT every week doing Heroics at the same time, however I always have to be on despite my examinations within the next 2 weeks.

We spoke on ventrilo, and he was pretty kind about it, straight up that I've been incapable these past few weeks and I need to have much better time management, but I think it's extrememly unfair that this much stress has to be carried on my shoulders... He kicked me from the guild, full stop, even after I told him all that's going on.

Wanted to get your opinions on this...
    First things first, RL has priority over WoW. Always. At 16 and having to listen to your Dad, who is at no fault for wanting you to succeed, those are just things that you have to accept and move on from. Good luck on your exams btw.
    Second, as a recruiter for a Heroic raid group, I would have benched from the raid permanently. Unless you actually came back, which most players never actually come back, and then you would have to earn your spot back just like any other recruit. Attendance is a huge issue for players that want to progress through heroics. Having to train pugs/lose gear to them, is a hindrance to your raid group and your progress. We are actually looking to replace some of our players simply because of their attendance. I wouldn't have warranted a guild kick but some GMs don't like having randoms in their guilds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostShaman View Post
    I didn't start college until I was 29, I wish I could go back and kick myself in the ass for not going when I graduated high school.
    But you are who you are today because of the choices your old self made. If you did go back and change stuff, you might turn into an asshole or might have developed a different set of principles and ideology. Be thankful for your perspective and make the most out of it!
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    Honestly the guy did you a favour, your exams and school are way more important than a guild in WoW. Take your time off, work hard for your exams, and when you come back, find a nice guild that understand about real life priorities.

Goodluck with your exams
    Yep, now you really don't have to worry about it. RL > Games. You could be 26 still living in dads basement and people will ask why, you can tell them that you failed to get into a good university, but you had Khan Title and downed Lei Shen in a game that doesn't exist anymore.

You should thank the GM (well, not really) as he did you a great favor. That's really not the kind of guild or people you want to relate to.

I sympathize with your GM fully. He's not a douche for kicking your from the raid group but making the choice that's better for the group. No raider enjoys having someone on their team that have to go away for a while every couple of weeks. It screws up so many things. I think it's bad behavior to join a raiding group when you know you won't be able to attend, all you do is screwing up another 9 or 24 peoples evening.

This is coming from a full time Civilengineer student who's the officer a Heroic raiding guild.

Quote Originally Posted by SausageRawr View Post
    A little of a back-story: I'm a full time student, I'm 16 and just about to have yearly examinations in less than a week, my father is strict on me and my education and he's told me that I wont be able to play WoW for the next 2 weeks so I can study for these exams.

So last night, I spoke to my guild leader, I've been in this raiding guild for about 2-3 months on a pretty low populated server. We've finished ToT on normal, killed Lei Shen most of the time, so we are extremely capable of doing SOO, my father spoke to me and gave me a lecture on the whole "Do you want to succeed in life?" and what not..., I realize that this is pretty important, so I told my guild leader that I would have to be gone for 2 weeks, I would be back before the new patch hits. There are many stand-by's in the guild, and have the gear and the skill to be able to raid ToT, we are clearing ToT every week doing Heroics at the same time, however I always have to be on despite my examinations within the next 2 weeks.

We spoke on ventrilo, and he was pretty kind about it, straight up that I've been incapable these past few weeks and I need to have much better time management, but I think it's extrememly unfair that this much stress has to be carried on my shoulders... He kicked me from the guild, full stop, even after I told him all that's going on.

Wanted to get your opinions on this...
    your education is way more important than your time on wow. on your guild leader's behalf nobody really wants to have to depend on someone who can be taken away at a word from their parents. one of my biggest heart aches as a guild leader is having to deal with players who are in high school or even college. on one hand I know that thier education is important, on the other hand I have business owners and people with rigid schedules who show up 3 days a week like clockwork who expect 9 others to as well.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

It would one thing if it were just a casual raiding guild and you got kicked out, but it being a raiding guild I can see why you were let go. Best thing is for you- find a more casual guild and make good use of Flex raiding when you cannot commit more time than you're able to.

I was kicked once from guild for a similar reason. But it was pure hardcore guild and I said to our RL that I'm going for one week on holidays. But in casual guild it's ridiculous. Your RL is douchebag.

Quote Originally Posted by LeperHerring View Post
    When you're in a raiding guild the GM is your boss. His job is to provide you and everyone else in the guild with the opportunity to raid in particular content/difficulty. A job which I can assure you is like any other part-time job and for which he does not get paid. The most critical and most difficult part of providing that raiding opportunity is to get a group of people to show up consistently. If everyone acted like the OP, disappearing for weeks and being "incapable", then no serious raiding would be happening in the guild.
    Good GMs understand that the raiders/players are the boss which is why those raid guilds progress.

In fact, people generally do act like the OP. When they have RL issues, school, vacations, they don't raid. Some GMs handle that gracefully, others not so much. Only question is whether a 16 year old with exams should worry about that, and the consensus appears to be --- no.

Quote Originally Posted by dzidek View Post
    I was kicked once from guild for a similar reason. But it was pure hardcore guild and I said to our RL that I'm going for one week on holidays. But in casual guild it's ridiculous. Your RL is douchebag.
    Wish people would stop jumping to conclusions... You get one side of the story and you immediately attack the other side.

What if the OP is terrible and it was a long time coming? What if the OP is a toxic player and to make raiding for the rest of the guild comfortable he needed to be kicked? What if OP disappears a lot and the GM gets fed up with it? Why do you take the OP's word as law?

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Pugs/ flex/ lfr turn that argument to shreds.
    Pugs are not "just raid"ing, there is a lot of effort and aggravation that goes into pugging. As to flex and lfr, we could get into a big argument over whether it counts as proper raiding, but there's no need, because we are clearly talking about the sort of raiding which requires a guild - not flex or lfr.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dzidek View Post
    But in casual guild it's ridiculous.
    You failed to read the OP.

I used to be in the same dilemma, but then I just started studying/doing work while raiding during bio breaks, trash, Jin'rok (partially kidding), etc.
    It would be dark inside my head...if not for the fires...

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashardis View Post
    As I was saying, my point was agreeing with the guy I quoted, that guilds come with drama that people cant be bothered with.
    And that there are people out there that dont buy it as an acceptable reason for doing lfr only, and would rather lable them as bad or unskilled
    What does LFR have to do with it? This guy obviously wants to raid actual content. If he wants to be apart of a proper raiding guild, there are criteria that need to be met. This isnt "drama". He didnt meet the criteria. The end.

For many guilds not quite finished yet these last 2 weeks will be pretty busy, getting every last bit of loot before SoO, trying to get one extra heroic kill.

The worst part about the OPs whole situation is if he played a team sport his dad wouldn't say a word. Ppl need to get with the 21st century alot of shit and social interaction is internet based now and WoW is a huge way to expand your social network. lil quote from Treckie "Time you enjoy wasting. Isn't wasted time"

All things considered though guild kicked for needing 2 weeks off? Fuckoff with those tools anyhow. Full normal whoopteedoo

Quote Originally Posted by tanktank View Post
    Find a different guild. Save some cash for an xfer. Write it off, be an adult.
    taking something lying down and then running away from it doesn't make you an adult

it makes you a chump

But to me sounds like it was a problem with your attendance, and that's is how it is with guilds. If you aren't going to show up on time every raid night and maintain a 90%+ attendance rate over the course of a tier, there are not a lot of people who are going to want to play the game with you.

It's like, you might not think you not being there is that big of a deal

but that's probably because you aren't the one searching for an adequate replacement :P

Find OP on WoW-Progress, look at what guild he was just removed from, pm the GM and get him to comment. We need full story here.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    Find OP on WoW-Progress, look at what guild he was just removed from, pm the GM and get him to comment. We need full story here.
    Yeah... Let's not harass someone for a silly forum post. If you need drama that badly I would advise some TV shows or other forum posts.

why?

how someone runs their guild is none of our business lol

He wants our opinion, but we are only getting his half of the story.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

My honest guess at the situation is we'd find OP on wowprogress and then be able to get no further because we'd be too busy laughing at him.