Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Yes, holy does have more throughput. That's plainly obvious as holy has access to Chakra, which is largely more efficient than Archangel, Rapid Renewal and Serendipity (will affect throughput as of 5.4). But the thing is, Smite will always be topping people off while holy has no exclusive spells that are as efficient at it (Renew comes to mind, but it won't work with random raid damage; Circle of Healing is nowhere near as goodfor single target damage). Not to mention that holy priests, lacking Rapture, are more likely to run out of mana.
    *sings* Rapture is no longer a mana gaaaaaiiiiiin...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iKrow View Post
    Also don't use Renew. It's just bad.
    You don't play holy in 10s do you? In serenity, we roll renew.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazzeh View Post
    At first, after clicking your link, I thought, "Why in God's name would both healers be above 100k HPS?"

Then I realized you linked a Dark Animus kill.

Also, was that killed with the "zerg" method? Those rarely accurately portray numbers.
    Yep 180k HPS with a good chunk of it being renew. Over the 2:27 minutes renew did more healing than divine hymn and like 15% less healing than PoM (with EoL included)!!. Rather than inaccurate this is a great 2minute simulation with constant ticking damage on the raid. Rather than go its the zerg method it don't count you should be thinking hold on, its two minutes with pretty high damage. He can cast whatever he wants, but he chooses to use renew. What does that tell you?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, holy does have more throughput. That's plainly obvious as holy has access to Chakra, which is largely more efficient than Archangel, Rapid Renewal and Serendipity (will affect throughput as of 5.4). But the thing is, Smite will always be topping people off while holy has no exclusive spells that are as efficient at it (Renew comes to mind, but it won't work with random raid damage; Circle of Healing is nowhere near as goodfor single target damage). Not to mention that holy priests, lacking Rapture, are more likely to run out of mana.
    What are you on about? Smite efficient? It has rubbish HPM and hits for 50k, where CoH hits on a single target for 30k with another 8k as a HoT in 6 seconds. On top of that holy gets divine insight and 18% more healing on PoM.

The point of smite is that it may be rubbish as a heal, but its quite good for combined damage and healing. I mean seriously who gets topped off by a 50k heal.

Quote Originally Posted by iKrow View Post
    Also don't use Renew. It's just bad.
    Use Renew. This post is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc12 View Post
    What are you on about? Smite efficient? It has rubbish HPM and hits for 50k, where CoH hits on a single target for 30k with another 8k as a HoT in 6 seconds. On top of that holy gets divine insight and 18% more healing on PoM.

The point of smite is that it may be rubbish as a heal, but its quite good for combined damage and healing. I mean seriously who gets topped off by a 50k heal.
    Who doesn't get topped off by a 50k heal!? There's a reason you only use Smite in low-damage phases. The 50k will be more than enough to get people to 100%, but more importantly, by the time you (a non-priest healer) register the damage is dealt, Smite will have already sniped the heal off of you. And it's not that "lol smite I'm steelin ur healz i has hgih hps", it's more that with Smite, a priest is saving you the cost and cooldown of a spell because his filler spell is a smart heal, and one that will probably proc Divine Aegis.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 2013-09-04 at 06:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Kacie View Post
    I agree with thirteen, I've been a holy priest since classic and i'm still one but due to some core members of my guild leaving we are starting 10m for seige, which means i'm going to have to play disc, and no offence to you disc priests but i just find that specc the most boring specc, i don't enjoy it one bit, i liked it in wotlk but my love is for holy, holy has never been strong since tbc days but disc has been op for several expansions, but i stick to holy
    I've played both, and frankly both are viable at any level right now and will be in 5.4. I think it's to Blizzard's credit that they've given both healing trees such a well defined & differentiated core that you actually have so many people who love one playstyle and hate the other!

Too many people focus solely on the HPS and don't realize that higher Disc HPS isn't necessarily adding overall healing, it's just sniping (turning other healers heals into overheal). That's not to say that DA/smite smart healing doesn't add utility - it certainly does. You just have to understand the strengths and weaknesses of that utility and not get mesmerized by the HPS numbers. Part of what Disc doesn't have is reactive healing - something Holy excels at.

In the end, you should play whatever you feel better about. If that's Holy, your HPS may be a bit lower at times, but you'll notice your co-healers' numbers will be higher in turn (you're sniping less heals). If you play Disc, there may be times when you feel the strain of not being able to pump out ridiculous amounts of reactive healing, but you'll remember that you can (and probably should have) plan ahead for that damage spike and use your tools accordingly.

TLDR: Play what you want, and understand there's more to it than HPS. We're not DPS after all.

I don't care about hps really, the part of disc i don't like is the smite aa specc,feels like a dps class that just isn't for me.

5.4 isn't that good in terms of healing priest, I've seen some logs from the ptr and Isheria's word that we aren't going to be as strong as we are right now, maybe that will change, but knowing blizzard holy is usually the specc they look at the last, who knows i'll find out next week

Holy Word: Sanctuary mana cost reduced to 3.8% (down from 6.3%), and now functions like a smart heal, healing the 6 most injured friendly targets within range, and minor guardians are no longer targeted (Wild Imps, Bloodworms, Snakes from Snake Trap, etc.). There has been no change to the total amount of healing granted by the ability.
    All I can say is "It's about time."
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time

At least Ulduar/ToC was kind to us :C
    was it a joke ? i remember our disc priest back then doing blanket shielding the raid and never going oom, and i mean like never ever

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightplay View Post
    Heres the situation, I'm rerolling from hunter to a healer priest for 5.4, I used to heal both disc and holy back in tbc and wrath...obviously quite a bit has changed but I'm feeling comfortable with the specs now, unfortunately I have been asked to have a dps offspec for certain bosses (2heal fights etc).

I was wondering if I should feel obligated to have my main spec as disc because of the absorbs and such or whether Holy is going to be solid enough...I've been reading a lot of the forums posts here and theres a lot of discussion but I wouldn't say a definite answer for me. I'm in a 10man semi-hardcore thats cleared 6/13 hc and i know its not world first so you could say I shouldnt worry too much but I obviously want to perform at a good level to help my raid progress.

Personally I prefer Holy over disc but I don't hate disc.

EDIT: the other healers in the team are 2 holy paladins and a resto shaman
    It's not fair but... with the amount of aoe crazy heroic fights and the ability to be an antonement whore and add to the dps, at the moment, Disc is in a highly desirable place. But if you're adamant that Holy is what you enjoy... and you'll quickly get tired of the game if you don't play it just go Holy.

Our healing priest is that stubborn as well, and I just have to heal around any faults not having a shielding priest around offers up. It's fine. It's not un-doable. But in the short time I had a Disc priest around to share healing duties... just, goddamn wasn't even comparable. The raid health barely fluctuates between the two of us. (Hpala/Disc combo is nutty)

However as we're leaving ToT Behind and entering into SoO we just don't know how valuable aoe shield spam is going to be... The devs really need to ease off a bit on: 'OKAY ITS HEROIC WHAT DO WE DO DIFFERENTLY? ...HARDER HITTING AOE DAMAGE... GENIUS!' For healers. It's getting terribly tiresome.

I am sure you can play admirably as holy though. But keep a disc spec 'around' for those moments.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Syro View Post
    was it a joke ? i remember our disc priest back then doing blanket shielding the raid and never going oom, and i mean like never ever
    Holy's healing was light years ahead of any absorbs discipline could do. And running out of mana was an impossibility back then, as you could simply stack intellect and have Replenishment do all the regen for you, regardless of class.