Whats bottlenecking my pc?

I have a i7-930 stock @ 2.8
    6gb RAM
    hd 5870

I only game on 1 monitor but have a 2nd for browsing and watching vids.

Edit:

I was thinking of upgrading my gpu to a gtx 760 and was wondering if anything would bottleneck it?
    Last edited by Sonatine185; 2013-08-29 at 02:57 AM.

Nothing bottleneck your PC ''At the moment'' its a fairly well balanced system. Although , If you plan to upgrade your video card, that CPU will bottleneck you in alot of game, we're talking FX 8350 kind of bottleneck. But you could easily overclock it to 4.0ghz with a decent Cooler, this will really help to increase the lifetime of this 930.

As said by Mnm, you don't have a system bottleneck. A bottleneck is when one piece of hardware is limiting the performance of another piece. Your CPU and GPU are both pretty low end so neither is bottlenecking each other. If you were to put a modern video card such as a Titan along with the 930, then the 930 would probably be bottlenecking the Titan. The 930 isn't really a bad CPU irrc, it's just old. If you're looking to do any substantial upgrades to your system, you're going to be looking at replacing the entire thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    aftermarket cooler and overclock the cpu (4ghz is a nice point) then new gpu. Personally I would wait for 9000 series but that is up to you.
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

Thread moved to sub-forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Although , If you plan to upgrade your video card, that CPU will bottleneck you in alot of game, we're talking FX 8350 kind of bottleneck.
    1) No it wouldn't
    2) that is an unnecessary brandbashing remark.

Can someone tell me how my i7-930 would work with a gtx 760 and if my cpu will bottleneck it a lot?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not if you overclock, at stock maybe. I couldn't see you losing a huge amount of performance on the gpu with it anyway. However overclocking is easy performance so get an aftermarket cooler and overclock that i7.
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ztreb185 View Post
    Can someone tell me how my i7-930 would work with a gtx 760 and if my cpu will bottleneck it a lot?
    Yes it would work, and NO it wouldnt bottleneck your 760.

And if you're talking about WoW framerates specifically, slow processor based on five years old tech is your problem.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I want to be able to play games like FF14 ARR, WoW, Shogun 2, and Rome 2 all on max settings.

When I play all these games except WoW, my gpu load is 100% so I'm guessing this is the part that needs to be upgraded the most.

I don't want to touch overclocking since I'm not very comfortable with it so my i7-930 will stay stock @ 2.8.

So if I get either the gtx 660ti, hd 7950, or gtx 760, my cpu should not bottleneck and I will see significant improvement in fps?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ztreb185 View Post
    So if I get either the gtx 660ti, hd 7950, or gtx 760, my cpu should not bottleneck and I will see significant improvement in fps?
    Talking strictly about WoW, yes it will and no you won't.

In WoW your minimum FPS is mainly determined by the strength of your CPU, more specifically per core performance. Minimum FPS means the times whenever you are the most noticing the lag like killing an AOE pack in a raid or strolling down the street in busy Orgrimmar. This is mostly due to the nature of MMO's in general because whenever there's a lot of people or a lot of NPC's and damage involved the game has to do a great amount of calculations and this is handled mostly by the CPU.

Also "per core" performance is important because WoW isn't that effective at utilizing more then 2 main cores so having the most powerful 2 core performance is the key. Adding more then 2 cores balances the load a little and yields some improvement but you'll be better off with less cores, higher clock frequencies instead of more cores with lower clocks.

You'll no doubt see some improvement upgrading to gtx 660ti, hd 7950, or gtx 760 but your old CPU is still the weak link / bottleneck. It's a tough choice though since upgrading CPU would mean a new motherboard and RAM as well but if you only went for those and kept your HD 5870 it still might not give you the results you are hoping for. My advice would be to save up a little more and buy a completely new PC. You are looking at anything from 500$ to 700$ investment for proper and superior (compared to your old) build. I suppose you could also buy the new GPU now and see how it works and upgrade the rest later.
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2013-08-29 at 06:28 PM.