Lookin for challenge mode advice.

So, I am doing challenge modes and I feel like my dps is short. Im usually second and staying just above 50kdps. I am currently running as demo. So, I would like to know a few things. What dps single target am I supposed to be hitting? What is the best spec to be using since 5.4 is coming out soon? Is there a certain way to set up my gear for challenge modes? Im using my raiding set up at the moment in them.
    Last edited by Zantos; 2013-08-29 at 05:29 AM.

Deleted
    Here is the guide I used to get prepared.

It might be a little outdated, I don't know, this was like 8 months ago!

But he did a very good job outlining which spec has its advantages etc.

Edit: Only thing I would change is that destruction is more than viable for CM's also.

As far as gear goes there are some bis items.

The relic of xeun (inscription trinket) is OP, as is the alchemist trinket. So if you have either if those use them. If you have the head legendary meta get a different helm to use the normal meta gem. The legendary wont proc in CM's. also, use gear with more gem slots.

Demo was really good for me. You can pool your fury on trash and go insane on the boss. You should be on average about 60-90k single target depending on fight mechanics. I did run destro on heavy aoe instances like storm brew.

Destro with sac seemed to be the least difficult to manage. Plus if you can go 60k+ on boss fights your doing fine.

As someone who has run over 50, maybe even closer to 100 Challenge modes on multiple classes I can tell you this.
    If you are going for super fast times, demo will be better, you will be pulling a fuckload of mobs at once, and demo has the burstiest AOE atm using all CD's. Trash is more important than bosses, so you should be using your cd's on most trash packs!.
    If you are doing them for the first time, go destro with Sacrifice and Sac your Felhunter for Interupts. Shadowburn Cleave wherever you can, and on 5+ targets you have really good sustained AOE with FNB + Rain of fire. Not having to dismiss pet for invis is also a luxury here.

Help your group by using Shadowfury at the right time, Keeping up Curse of elements where needed, and depending on group set up / your groups strat, you will need to use Curse of Enfeeblement also. Interupt where possible.

You can use Burning rush before you pot to have a very speed run with invis pot .
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).

I've done carries and whatnot for friends and I've had the best luck w' destro sac. With so many mobs/trash you get lots of shadowburn sniping chances which helps a lot plus you can ember tap for /pucker moment heals. Demo will outperform in aoe with all its CD's but when you aren't being a 2 min monster destro catches up fast plus the shadowburn kill snipes can add up fast.

If you have a challenge mode (and now also proving grounds) gearset remember to gem like you are 463ilvl...which is to say brilliant in red, veiled in blue, and probably reckless in yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Werst View Post
    I've done carries and whatnot for friends and I've had the best luck w' destro sac. With so many mobs/trash you get lots of shadowburn sniping chances which helps a lot plus you can ember tap for /pucker moment heals. Demo will outperform in aoe with all its CD's but when you aren't being a 2 min monster destro catches up fast plus the shadowburn kill snipes can add up fast.

If you have a challenge mode (and now also proving grounds) gearset remember to gem like you are 463ilvl...which is to say brilliant in red, veiled in blue, and probably reckless in yellow.
    For most their "Challenge mode gearset" is the their main gear set because of all the extra gem sockets. When I do runs on my warlocks I dont bother regeming because I use the same gear for raiding and it would be a hassle. Even if its not optimally gemmed, having more gem sockets is alot better than having a better itemized piece with 1-2 gem sockets left .
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).

Ive been running destro. Got our first gold yesterday. My aoe is amazing and single target is near 70k since i can store up embers thanks to shadowburn. Ill probably just stay destro since its what I like best. Ill try gemming int to see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidsteel View Post
    Here is the guide I used to get prepared.

It might be a little outdated, I don't know, this was like 8 months ago!

But he did a very good job outlining which spec has its advantages etc.

Edit: Only thing I would change is that destruction is more than viable for CM's also.
    I haven't really bothered to keep the thread up to date since CM's haven't changed and the basis around the post remains the same. I haven't done a CM on a Warlock in some time now but Destro is certainly viable in them - and for some might even be preferred. Realistically as Destro the biggest tip I would have is to go into every boss fight will full embers and don't be afraid to help your healer out with some Ember Taps if needed.

Edit:
    There are also a few posts that advocate towards Destro as well but the basics of how you should approach each CM/Boss are essentially the same for each spec.
    Last edited by Woz; 2013-08-31 at 04:43 AM.