Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by gorocz View Post
    Firstly, I think they meant one of the big MMOs. Despite Runescape being "the largest browser-based MMO in the world" and having around 537k paying customers, it really isn't in the same category as WoW.

    Secondy, - technically. RS has done this only once - from RSC to RS2. Armour model update is not a player model update (WoW has new models of armour too, they just don't update the older ones) and RS3 does not include any model update afaik, this is, I think, coming with the HTML5 version, which is still in Beta... Other engine updates, that Jagex so often mentions, are more along the line of what WoW does with every expansion... Also, they are keeping all the old versions, RSC is still running today, despite being updated 9 years ago, HTML5 client won't replace the Java client, they will coexist on the same live servers...

    Also you could argue if any of this was successful, because every time this is done, tons of people hate it. I, for example, despite not being "one of those", am still not used to the new armour models, despite it being already 1.5 years since they were updated. The difference between RS and WoW in this matter is that in WoW, you don't use the old armours, except for the graphics, while in RS, even high level players sometimes use lower level armour (e.g. Rune Plate, Guthan Full) because of its lower cost compared to the high end armour.
    There isn't any MMO as huge and old as WoW. Not only that Everquest has updated its models in the past which is a big mmo.

  2. #22
    "An announcement soon".

    That sounds promising actually? Yay for new models.

  3. #23
    That Epoch stone quest sure looks like quite the grind Chaud, needing to get 50 Epoch Stones every week for 6 weeks. Wonder what the reward (and roleplay) is at the end. Maybe a chieve and the 10k coins you get along the way.

  4. #24
    Who is that person (In the video) between Jaina and Taran Zhu? ....It looks like a zandalari troll to me, but i do not recognize it.

  5. #25
    Herald of the Titans Oneirophobia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Summoner's Rift, feeding Darius. >:D
    Posts
    2,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Megara View Post
    "An announcement soon".

    That sounds promising actually? Yay for new models.
    The announcement is going to be, "we scrapped them lel they mean too much to us."


    Basically I have no hopes so I could possibly be pleasantly surprised at one point.

    INFRACTED! For uhm... Idk, I'll read the ToS later, I'm sure I'll find something in there I can stretch to cover whatever it is I don't like about you.

  6. #26
    They seriously worry about a few people being upset over a slight variation in eye blinking... yet they give my warlock cast while running for 1 full year... then take it away because it was never intended... yeah ok makes total sense!

    phasing and items like the ones in dalaran that make you see everyone as a mage prove you can have both new and old models, turn them on or off, etc. There are no excuses. As it is I've been with WoW since original beta but looking at Everquest Next... it looks like a WoW 2.0 with a lot more fun and actual evolutionary play mechanics (changing destructible worlds, the soe emote etc) combined with everquest next landmark or EQ minecraft you could say? I really need to see something striking, amazing and yes 'evolutionary' from blizzard come this next Blizzcon.

    Tier upon tier of disposable raiding is not evolutionary it's rinse and repeat. Even something as simple as player housing would have a long lasting effect on gameplay, interactivity and non disposable achievement from level 1 to max.

  7. #27
    Herald of the Titans Oneirophobia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Summoner's Rift, feeding Darius. >:D
    Posts
    2,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    The announcement is going to be, "we scrapped them lel they mean too much to us."


    Basically I have no hopes so I could possibly be pleasantly surprised at one point.
    Female draenei I thought. :x

    If its a troll, it could be zen'tabra. She's... kind of a leader sort of not really, reoccurring character... something something like hamuul runetotem.

    INFRACTED! For uhm... Idk, I'll read the ToS later, I'm sure I'll find something in there I can stretch to cover whatever it is I don't like about you.

  8. #28
    As for giving players option A vs. option B for player models, it might not be technically possible depending on how much the new models are changed compared to their old (current) counterparts. If they're redoing skeletons and stuff, everything for how the armor fits might change.... Either way -- when they introduce the new models, you know sure as hell know there will be an outpouring of people screaming that X and Y races suck, etc. Oh well. They're likely to be the minority.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead_MAX View Post
    Who is that person (In the video) between Jaina and Taran Zhu? ....It looks like a zandalari troll to me, but i do not recognize it.

    That's Tyrande! xD

    I hate Tyrande's new skin, I dislike Jaina's new skin and I know I will hate the new player skins aswell!
    You know when people want you to tell them the truth? They lie.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by TCceen View Post
    They seriously worry about a few people being upset over a slight variation in eye blinking... yet they give my warlock cast while running for 1 full year... then take it away because it was never intended... yeah ok makes total sense!

    phasing and items like the ones in dalaran that make you see everyone as a mage prove you can have both new and old models, turn them on or off, etc. There are no excuses. As it is I've been with WoW since original beta but looking at Everquest Next... it looks like a WoW 2.0 with a lot more fun and actual evolutionary play mechanics (changing destructible worlds, the soe emote etc) combined with everquest next landmark or EQ minecraft you could say? I really need to see something striking, amazing and yes 'evolutionary' from blizzard come this next Blizzcon.

    Tier upon tier of disposable raiding is not evolutionary it's rinse and repeat. Even something as simple as player housing would have a long lasting effect on gameplay, interactivity and non disposable achievement from level 1 to max.
    And then, they will have to fit every piece of gear they do for both models if they change those models a lot. New cast animations, etc... extra work, not something that Blizzard enjoy...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
    They said "Updating player models has never been done successfully in an MMO" which means that they clearly refer to any MMO and not just big ones like WoW.

    This is just BS and they know it. If you are a Blizz official and tell the media that no other MMO has ever successfully updated its models then you are clearly stupid.
    Or maybe they just don't consider that an mmo worth mentioning...

  11. #31
    Pandaren Monk Mukki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    ANC! ANC! ANC!
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Exploitbat View Post
    That's Tyrande! xD

    I hate Tyrande's new skin, I dislike Jaina's new skin and I know I will hate the new player skins aswell!
    People like you are the reason we're stuck with gross 2004 models.

  12. #32
    I seriously doubt the new models could look worse than the current ones for me. Unless they become very deformed or something which shouldn't happen. Can't wait for the announcement!

  13. #33
    Everquest released new models just a few years into its existence (I believe it was the 4th expansion, Planes of Power) and they were just fine. They also gave the option to toggle between New and Old models for people that 1) didnt like the new models, but more importantly 2) PCs couldn't handle them.

    I dont see why this shouldnt be an option. It could require a game client restart to toggle them.

  14. #34
    Titan Nerraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Baalb View Post
    "We might have to do the item squish because database limitation". Whut?
    You should read up on 32bit and 64bit integers and realize what actually happens when you're forced to go from one to the other. Hint: The impact has to do with resource usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I only saw a few minutes of it but it looked slicker than a lubed up olympic swimmer fleeing from a shark.

  15. #35
    I like my Tauren. The others... well, i like my BE priest, i really wouldn't mind updated models.

  16. #36
    Announcement soon? I always said they will announce the new models at blizzcon

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Theendgamelv3 View Post
    There isn't any MMO as huge and old as WoW. Not only that Everquest has updated its models in the past which is a big mmo.
    But successfully, they did not. At the time the new models requirement twice as much RAM and more graphical power, which probably at the time, affected a lot of their playerbase. I remember simply just enabling my race's new model only.

  18. #38
    Because the playerbase is full of a bunch of crybaby primadonnas, at this point blizz has trouble pulling the trigger on ANY features, for fear of mass panic and rage....

  19. #39
    Scarab Lord Unholyground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,915
    The quality increase on the models can already be seen, look at the new Garrosh model VS his old one, that I can almost guarantee will be the quality increase across the board for all the models.

  20. #40
    "One of the human models was changed six years ago and there was a large uproar over how the eye blink changed."
    Can someone explain to me the joke about this?

    "Changing the player model risks causing players to no longer feel attached to their character."
    So somehow I can relate to my "character" because his armor hides his/her body's current model. But I can't fall in love somehow with a new model hidden under the exact same clothes...

    Under this assumption I should hate all new races and other MMO characters. Because they are different, and in fact probably more detailed than the last.

    "Upgrading player models has never been done successfully in an MMO."
    People say Everquest did this, but I haven't played/followed that game at all.

    Isn't Runescape a pretty good example? I don't remember them bitching about how hard their lives would be doing that.

    "The systems have been improved to where downleveling your character to play with a friend that is leveling is technically possible, but there aren't any announcements to make."
    Ya more GW2 stuff, it would be nice to actually play with friends on a even playing level.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •