Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #61
    People won't get attached to the older models if they don't change their face. If you have had the same look on your character since you started, it would only made sense if you kept the same face. When you are making the new models update every one of the old faces, and add some new ones obviously.

  2. #62
    Scarab Lord UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,158
    Christ, how thick can you people get?
    When they say models have never been updated successfully, they mean without ANY player of that game complaining about them. How hard is that to grasp? And hey, guess what, they're right. People even complained a lot about the Everquest model update, which many of you are so quick to point out. Runescape made an entire sequel to update models and not everyone loved those either.

    So yes, Blizzard are correct in saying that no MMO has ever updated models successfully.
    Most of you are only complaining because they mentioned they were actually doing them just before MoP went live. You'd not have batted an eyelid about the models if they hadn't mentioned them. I've seen people say they will come back to WoW for new models despite leaving the game because they hated it. Logic doesn't work well with most WoW players, current or ex.

    And considering this "fan" base that WoW has, I'd want to take my sweet time to get them done right too.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Christ, how thick can you people get?
    When they say models have never been updated successfully, they mean without ANY player of that game complaining about them. How hard is that to grasp? And hey, guess what, they're right. People even complained a lot about the Everquest model update, which many of you are so quick to point out. Runescape made an entire sequel to update models and not everyone loved those either.

    So yes, Blizzard are correct in saying that no MMO has ever updated models successfully.
    Most of you are only complaining because they mentioned they were actually doing them just before MoP went live. You'd not have batted an eyelid about the models if they hadn't mentioned them. I've seen people say they will come back to WoW for new models despite leaving the game because they hated it. Logic doesn't work well with most WoW players, current or ex.

    And considering this "fan" base that WoW has, I'd want to take my sweet time to get them done right too.
    Finally someone with a brain. Believe it or not, Blizzard actually cares about its player base. Shocking, right?

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Shurkuris View Post
    "Upgrading player models has never been done successfully in an MMO."
    People say Everquest did this, but I haven't played/followed that game at all.
    EverQuest 1 did successfully update every player model when Luclin came out AND gave people the choice between newer and older models. Developers will never satisfy 100% of the playerbase with any changes made to the game, so "success" can't really be gauged in that manner unless the models are universally hated. I know for certain they were not hated in EQ1 as most of the hate was directed toward the terrible gameplay choices (farming Lucid Shards, ugh) in the expansion and onward.

    Blizzard wording it this way means they either don't want to recognize or mention EverQuest. Whether or not they feel threatened by EQNext, who can say. I wouldn't doubt it though.

  5. #65
    Anyone else notice which race faction leaders made it through the damaged Stormwind Harbor vision? Draenei, Gnome, Dwarf, I wonder why?

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Miakisaki View Post
    EverQuest 1 did successfully update every player model when Luclin came out AND gave people the choice between newer and older models. Developers will never satisfy 100% of the playerbase with any changes made to the game, so "success" can't really be gauged in that manner unless the models are universally hated. I know for certain they were not hated in EQ1 as most of the hate was directed toward the terrible gameplay choices (farming Lucid Shards, ugh) in the expansion and onward.

    Blizzard wording it this way means they either don't want to recognize or mention EverQuest. Whether or not they feel threatened by EQNext, who can say. I wouldn't doubt it though.
    Wouldn't surprise me.

    If you're seriously praising Blizzard and their "outreach" with the community, think you need to take a step back and really look at their responses/stances are on a lot of pressing issues.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Miakisaki View Post
    EverQuest 1 did successfully update every player model when Luclin came out AND gave people the choice between newer and older models. Developers will never satisfy 100% of the playerbase with any changes made to the game, so "success" can't really be gauged in that manner unless the models are universally hated. I know for certain they were not hated in EQ1 as most of the hate was directed toward the terrible gameplay choices (farming Lucid Shards, ugh) in the expansion and onward.

    Blizzard wording it this way means they either don't want to recognize or mention EverQuest. Whether or not they feel threatened by EQNext, who can say. I wouldn't doubt it though.
    I came here to say this. The Blizzard fanboys trying to spin it so that it takes every single person to be happy with a change for it to be considered "successful" are delusional. If that's the standard they want to go with then I guess WoW is an abysmal failure, huh? The EverQuest team did a phenomenal job with the new player models, and allowing players to choose which models they used at the time was genius. Why Blizzard refuses to give credit where credit is due is beyond me.

  8. #68
    Hey that's great. Me, I've grown detached from the entire WoW game because I keep playing newer games that show me just how outdated WoW is graphics wise. Yep, 12-13 year old engine, and the player models are the exact same age. I got tired of hiding my character in armor that was just as ugly, a bunch of blocks and polygons that had texture painted on them like some old PS1 game. I played Undead, and while the blocky painted armor might have hid some things, I still had to see the rectangle bones and low-resolution fingers/toes poking out of the boots and gloves.

    Update the game, and forget the people that are attached to such old graphics. Make it free to play, I'd be back. $15 a month for such an aged game though? Nope.

  9. #69
    Scarab Lord snuzzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    4,736
    Quote Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
    I´d say so. This is just a lazy excuse of Blizz to somehow calm the players down because how could you expect new models of no other MMO did it successfully?

    So it takes them ages to create new models because Blizz fears the special snowflakes? Would you guys rather play as a misshaped Human or a good looking one? Ok it could happen that your favorite hairstyle is no longer available, so what? You then choose another one.
    Runescape and Everquest both have successfully updated player models without fuss, just off the top of my head.

    I think the longer they wait, the bigger peoples' expectations get, and the more likely players will be disappointed or unhappy. They ought to at least just show us what they've got like they did with the druid forms. Give us a bit of what to expect now, so we don't keep building the hype only to have it inevitably dashed later.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Christ, how thick can you people get?
    When they say models have never been updated successfully, they mean without ANY player of that game complaining about them. How hard is that to grasp? And hey, guess what, they're right. People even complained a lot about the Everquest model update, which many of you are so quick to point out. Runescape made an entire sequel to update models and not everyone loved those either.
    Seriously? Something isn't successful if ANY single player complains about it?

    In that case, nothing in WoW is successful, the game has been nothing but an abysmal failure. Shut down the servers, folks. Some players are unhappy so it's not successful.
    Some noses just don't belong on some faces! #SaveTheSnoots!

    Exhibit AExhibit BOfficial MMO-C Feedback PostOfficial Beta Feedback Post

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    You should read up on 32bit and 64bit integers and realize what actually happens when you're forced to go from one to the other. Hint: The impact has to do with resource usage.
    I doubt it. I'm quite sure their CPUs are already 64 bit. RAM is cheaper than ever.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Did you see the new Garrosh model? that is what they will look like but green.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqht1AI1htM

    I'm glad they changed Garrosh from his Cata model, he does look much better. But his Cata model is a perfect example of my argument, I found it to be awful, and if my orcs had to use that model I'd stop playing. I realize I'm only one person, and my one sub loss wouldn't make a difference, but this is what Blizz is being careful of.

  12. #72
    Upgrading player models has never been done successfully in an MMO.
    Funny...EQ did it and I didn't hear many complaints. In fact, almost everyone was ecstatic about the updates.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Mementomori1993 View Post
    God damn, I didn't realize how much is riding on these new models. Now I can understand why they are only 25% done. Blizzard is really rolling the dice here, but knowing them the new models will be well done.
    Exactly. Which is why all the "rarghblargle Y U only 25% done Blizz" complaining is so laughable. Far too many people think that just because they play this game, that it somehow magically means they know everything about the game and how it functions, when that couldn't be further from the truth.
    I find it utterly laughable that people are having ZERO issues with android monks, cyborg dwarves, and shadow-warping gunplay assassins, but they throw absolute FITS if you suggest a timejumping tomboy might be gay or that a walking artillery-platform might self-identify as female.
    Apparently, the superintelligent jetpack gorilla from the Moon makes perfect sense, but chrono-displaced lesbians and transgender automatons is just ridiculous!

  14. #74
    The artwork is better then the end product.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Miakisaki View Post
    EverQuest 1 did successfully update every player model when Luclin came out AND gave people the choice between newer and older models. Developers will never satisfy 100% of the playerbase with any changes made to the game, so "success" can't really be gauged in that manner unless the models are universally hated. I know for certain they were not hated in EQ1 as most of the hate was directed toward the terrible gameplay choices (farming Lucid Shards, ugh) in the expansion and onward.

    Blizzard wording it this way means they either don't want to recognize or mention EverQuest. Whether or not they feel threatened by EQNext, who can say. I wouldn't doubt it though.
    I never played EQ but I know that you're wrong. One of the first things I learned about EQ while reading the FoH guild forums back in 2002 was the uproar the new player models caused. Even reading about P1999 I still see the same arguments.

    Also, your attempt to build up EQNext as the next great WoW threat is amusing. EQ2 was WoW's first competitor and it got crushed. Try some humility this time around.

  16. #76
    Why can't they just offer a way to upgrade your character model, like a race change, so those who wanna keep their old models can, and those that want to change can change.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniri View Post
    I never played EQ but I know that you're wrong. One of the first things I learned about EQ while reading the FoH guild forums back in 2002 was the uproar the new player models caused. Even reading about P1999 I still see the same arguments.

    Also, your attempt to build up EQNext as the next great WoW threat is amusing. EQ2 was WoW's first competitor and it got crushed. Try some humility this time around.
    right....

    Well I did play EQ, and I know that YOU are wrong. The majority of players liked the new models.

    As for EQNext, I'm sure it won't kill WoW. The only thing that's going to kill WoW is time. I do hope EQNext is good though. I'm looking forward to it.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty710 View Post
    right....

    Well I did play EQ, and I know that YOU are wrong. The majority of players liked the new models.

    As for EQNext, I'm sure it won't kill WoW. The only thing that's going to kill WoW is time. I do hope EQNext is good though. I'm looking forward to it.
    Yeah, no. You may have been playing EQ but you certainly weren't reading the forums then or now if you never saw the enormous drama over the model update. Not only do I think Blizzard was not ignoring EQ, but that it was the foremost example in their minds of a poorly received model update.

    And note when I say poorly received I don't mean the majority hated them, but that a sizable or at least considerably vocal portion of the playerbase had a problem with it.
    Last edited by Daniri; 2013-08-29 at 09:20 PM.

  19. #79
    Oh my gawds, the Infinite Dragonflight!

  20. #80
    I am Murloc! prwraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    the stars
    Posts
    5,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniri View Post
    Yeah, no. You may have been playing EQ but you certainly weren't reading the forums then or now if you never saw the enormous drama over the model update. Not only do I think Blizzard was not ignoring EQ, but that it was the foremost example in their minds of a poorly received model update.

    And note when I say poorly received I don't mean the majority hated them, but that a sizable or at least considerably vocal portion of the playerbase had a problem with it.
    Except for the fact that you know. the models were toggle able.

    As in they werent forced on anyone. And you had to manually toggle them on to begin with. Which is probably a far better way to do it than what blizzard will do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •