Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Engineering: Alt vs Main?

I have decided to level Engineering - partly in preparation for 5.4, partly cause it's last profession I don't have on any character.
    But now I'm faced with a dilemma.
    If I level it on an alt, it means I will basically have no use for all the gizmos and mounts and "toys" it has to offer.
    But if I level it on main, it means abandoning Leatherworking - and most likely having to level LW on other alt, which sounds damn painful. It also means getting rid of a profession I invested quite a lot of effort in, with some rare recipes. It has been moderately profitable on my realm too.

What do you guys think?
    Old Gods made me do it.

EG is the most fun profession in my opinion, And ive been debating dropping JC on my main for it. Especially now that there is no epic gems in 5.4. But i'm in the same situation with JC

the older mounts doesnt matter and the new mount that come in 5.4 doesnt require engineering to use
    level engineer on alt even if you dont use that alt all the little toys and stuff are fun but not worth dropping lw for
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

Ok, so you currently have Leatherworking and ????

You are thinking of picking up Engineering.

You say you would have to drop LW to get it and are not sure that you want to.

What is your second profession and why could you not drop that instead of LW?

My main is a druid. When I made her in WotLK, I figured gathering profs would be best for druids. So I started out with mining and herbing. After maxing out both professions and hitting level cap, I decided that I wanted a JC. So, I dropped herbing. In Cata, I decided that I wanted to be a LW. So, not having a skinner, I dropped mining and leveled skinning. Once I capped out skinning and farmed a ton of savage leather, I dropped it and leveled up LW. After MoP hit, I decided that JC just wasn't as good as it used to be, and I wanted an Engineer. So now I have LW/Eng... I don't think I will be changing professions again. This is a great combo.

Also... I've since leveled up engineering on 2 alts because I like it so much

Deleted
    Main. I have it maxed on ~5 characters, which is pretty much any char i played remotely seriously in the last years. Engi is the definition of a main-character profession (Teleports, Tinkers, Bank access, etc). The way i see it there's 3 professions that gain a lot from being on a main: engi, enchanting, (blacksmith)

It's a damn waste to do it on an alt. There's nothing you can do on it that's worthwhile in my opinion. This new cd may be cool/profitable for one, maybe two 'cycles' at best if you ask me. I don't see it becoming the new alchemy or the next inscription, if you know what i mean. I see a lot of reason pro-main, and literally no reason to raise it on an alt if you're not going to use the tinkers.

[pvp p.o.v. dunno if that makes a difference]