Page 1 of 3
LastLast

A Thought on Rewards for Former Content

I believe a Challenge mode could work well for both old raids and dungeons in Vanilla and BC. Make those raids 5-mannable, and if you complete, say, all the vanilla ones in Gold time, you get some type of neat-o transmog gear modeled after the old tier set but with some kind of new flashiness. Same with the BC dungeons.

That, plus the time scores and such, could be a fun side thing to do. Especially for the nostalgia and memories with old friends and guildees running that content when it was current.

And, if you don't have Challenge mode triggered, the raid/dungeon stays as it is now.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Dvaldin; 2013-08-29 at 03:22 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Black rock depths challenge mode

Holy fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by I make people mad View Post

Holy fuck.
    No, never again. I will never run Blackrock Depths, even if it drops a mount 100% of the time.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    High-res old-world tier sets would make for a pretty compelling reward scheme, I think, and to quote IMPM:

Holy fuck.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    No, never again. I will never run Blackrock Depths, even if it drops a mount 100% of the time.
    *Shows you a memory of a Pyroguard Destroyer and The Lyceum

Unfortunately, this idea is too creative for Blizzard's creative development team whom focuses on grinding for no rewards and boredom.

10+ Year Old Account

Holy fuck.
    That would be a nightmare. But fun. But a nightmare. And fun. Nightmare.

How about an in game currency redeamable for vanity items in the WC in game store + the transmogs you would get + the ability to actually raid content you've never had a chance to do other than easy solos.

Make the rewards very small for the in game currency. If a vanity item costs 1500 points, give raids 5 points for completion +1 point per boss kill (give double for heroic, or at least a few bonus points), and dungeons 1 point for normal, and 3 points for Heroic. Keep regular 5 mans for solo runs, and call it Classic. Make past raid content available in LFR, Flex, Normal, Heroic, and Classic (no scaling for solo runs, and awards no rewards). Make LFR/LFD queueable. Make all class dungeons queuable for Normal mode, but Pug or premade only for Heroic.

Give each Raid a 1 week lockout, and each 5 man a 3 day lock out. This will be just enough incentive for players to constantly queue and raid, but not so much that no one actually spends money in the In game store.

This will eleviate all the bitching about how blizzard is selling things in game without a chance to earn it. Now they can earn it. But in order to earn it they will need to devote a lot of time.

Want that $15.00 (1500 pt) vanity helm? Go a head and grind it. All it will take is 1500 dungeons, 500 heroic dungeons, 150 normal raids, or 30 heroic raids.

And if blizz feels like they are losing money on the deal, they can always rig it so every time you queue for random, you get Oculus.
    Last edited by Fatherfork; 2013-08-29 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phasma View Post
    Unfortunately, this idea is too creative for Blizzard's creative development team whom focuses on grinding for no rewards and boredom.
    You're a little behind on times. They already created the tech for going back to old content and having it relevant, they just need to find the right reward to fit it, which is what this thread is trying to come up with. You're trying to derail it with your own vendetta towards Blizzard.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    That would be a nightmare. But fun. But a nightmare. And fun. Nightmare.
    You're a glutton for Punishment aren't you :P!

Quote Originally Posted by Phasma View Post
    Constructive much? /sigh

Anyway, I like the idea of high-quality old armor, but why wouldn't they just implement it for what's already there? Really, it feels a little unfair to only let you have the updated look if you go back after it's old content.

That said, challenge modes and new armor that looks nice/fits the theme would be awesome. I was thinking something along the lines of opening them up as current/content and drop blue armor of the current tier's level (maybe a little lower so as not to overshadow the actual new dungeons). It's like they did with Zul'Aman/Zul'Gurub, but with less actual updating. People who want to run older content at the current level can do so and feel rewarded because they're still getting gear for their level. It would be like the LFR/Flex version of Dungeons.

15+ Year Old Account
    BRD isn't too big of a deal to me.

But a challenge mode Undead Strat or even LBRS/UBRS would be horrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    BRD isn't too big of a deal to me.

But a challenge mode Undead Strat or even LBRS/UBRS would be horrible.
    What? How haha maybe the last packs near General Conflag ahem Drakasath w/e his name is god those packs were stupid as for LBRS I don't have much memories of it

I wanted to make a thread just for this. There are a lot of rewards you can give people. Transmog sets, mounts, etc.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can see Challenge Mode added for old dungeons, sure. But for raids? Not so much.
    Even so...
    I wonder how those will get tuned. I think the intent will be Flex-level difficulty - not hardcore CM-level.
    Old Gods made me do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    What? How haha maybe the last packs near General Conflag ahem Drakasath w/e his name is god those packs were stupid as for LBRS I don't have much memories of it
    At-level Undead Strat used to be a pain in the dick, especially with Rivendare's area DoT and if you accidentially pulled a pack on the Gauntlet, nobody was happy. :c

why not raids? the older raids were more or less tank and spanks. just scale up the health and damage of the trash and bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatherfork View Post
    why not raids? the older raids were more or less tank and spanks. just scale up the health and damage of the trash and bosses.
    Some bosses had an AoE debuff that required a specific class to clear in Molten Core; either those debuffs would need to be removed, removing the big challenge of that fight, or they'd need to be debuffable by any class with a cleanse/purge/etc. to avoid people refusing to take along, say, a priest to Challenge Mode Molten Core (random class pulled out of thin air for rhetoric's sake). Others like Geddon needed an ass of fire resist and precise positioning; this is another example of the mechanics themselves needing to be altered to retain challenge without dooming the group because they're not wearing a trinket from 30 levels ago instead of just the numbers being dialed up.

If we see the amount of people that is doing CM right now is marginal compared to the amount of people that could do them, and that is purely because the rewards, they are outside the gear reward scheme, therefore not worth many people's time. I personally do them, but I can understand why other people don't.

If the answer was this simple Blizzard had figured that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    Some bosses had an AoE debuff that required a specific class to clear in Molten Core; either those debuffs would need to be removed, removing the big challenge of that fight, or they'd need to be debuffable by any class with a cleanse/purge/etc. to avoid people refusing to take along, say, a priest to Challenge Mode Molten Core (random class pulled out of thin air for rhetoric's sake). Others like Geddon needed an ass of fire resist and precise positioning; this is another example of the mechanics themselves needing to be altered to retain challenge without dooming the group because they're not wearing a trinket from 30 levels ago instead of just the numbers being dialed up.
    1) Make AoE debuff a magic debuff so any healer can dispel
    2) Reduce the fire damage level so no fire resist is needed, or incorporte a raid buff for fire resist to compensate

Seems a relatively straight forward implementation when scaling up a raid...../shrug

EDIT - as for rewards - why not just use valor, and toss in RNG goodies (like BoE things, mounts, etc...? That way you don't have to re-design a ton of gear.
    Last edited by yjmark; 2013-08-29 at 02:27 PM.