Page 1 of 2
LastLast

instead of a bunch of little raids at launch how about one super raid?

when an expansion launches there is usually a couple smaller raids followed by normal ones every patch/every other patch.

well how about instead of those small raids, have the first tier be one super raid with like a bajillion bosses and be a huge giant fortress with bongles and dangles and robits and all kinds of stuffs @_@
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    I m guessing you mean bigger than throne of thunder? If that is the case then that would be a very bad idea because it could potentialy cause a large portion of the player base that plays more casualy to raid more days per week to clear the raid simply cause of the length of it and not its difficulty. I m all for big raids aka ulduar and ToT. But anything bigger than that I think is pushing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    i kind of liked the staggered multiple raid approach MoP had at launch

6 or so weeks of MSV before HoF/ToES
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    I m guessing you mean bigger than throne of thunder? If that is the case then that would be a very bad idea because it could potentialy cause a large portion of the player base that plays more casualy to raid more days per week to clear the raid simply cause of the length of it and not its difficulty. I m all for big raids aka ulduar and ToT. But anything bigger than that I think is pushing it.
    well, say you combined mogushan, heart of fear, and terrace all into one raid O-O
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    I too really liked how MoP started, all of it: gear progression the first week via hc dungeons, MV and later HoF/ToES. This way you are not overwhelmed by a large number of bosses at the same time and also it's nice to have a change of scenery and types of bosses. Seems more like a journey this way then staying in the same instance for 20 bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Naxx 2.0 says Hi?

But OT, the split up of raids Cata style was nice. Gave you some options
    in case you were short handed or stuck on a boss. MOP was similar just
    with gating, which turned out to work quite well.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as it follows a non-linear approach I wouldn't mind a huge starting instance.

WotLK was like this, save for Malygos and Sartharion, shame naxx was so easy. D:

I think Blizzard likes the 'pyramid' approach to raid instances though, 1st tier are less important battles and tend to happen in smaller places, then 2nd tier and 3rd tier are "bigger deals" and happen in one place. Cataclysm somewhat betrayed this model by having Firelands and Dragon Soul be such short instances though.

The issue is that if, say, Throne of Thunder had been the only Raid for the first six months of the game people would have burnt out even faster. Splitting the first three raids made it so people could get lore in, do their dailies to get used to the game and have something leading up to the next tier.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nah...I like the multiple raids at the beginning and then break into the huge, monolithic raids later. It would get a little boring especially because SoO is going to be one big raid (it takes place in multiple locales but you know what I'm saying), if the next expac had one big raid that would make three in a row.

Huge linear raids don't work because once you get stuck at some point, everything beyond that is out of your reach. They won't get much bigger than ToT or SoO.

And even if they start making non-linear raids, the theme can get boring after a while. ToT has those cavern and sewer sections to add variety, and 1/4 of SoO takes place in Pandaria, but still, having multiple raids with different styles and mechanics is a better approach.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked Cata with multiple raids from the start. I think having the variety is a good thing.

Large raids are a blast but it would stress guilds trying to clear the full thing per week. Even if it's on farm it can take multiple days to clear normal modes for a lot of guilds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    when an expansion launches there is usually a couple smaller raids followed by normal ones every patch/every other patch.

well how about instead of those small raids, have the first tier be one super raid with like a bajillion bosses and be a huge giant fortress with bongles and dangles and robits and all kinds of stuffs @_@
    I'm not even sure where to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Large raids are a blast but it would stress guilds trying to clear the full thing per week. Even if it's on farm it can take multiple days to clear normal modes for a lot of guilds.
    How is that any different if you have multiple small raids? You'd still be clearing all of them.

Doesn't really matter if it's 6+6+4 bosses like MSV/HOF/TOES, or 16 bosses in one raid like SoO: Should take about the same time to clear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Naxx 2.0 says Hi?
    That's actually pretty applicable. The only other raids at the start of WotLK were both single-boss (though OS had 3 minibosses, I guess)

I think that, from a lore, flow, and simple "not tire you out with one theme" viewpoint, multiple medium raid tiers are the way to go. Like with MoP.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    The smaller raids seem to be there to tie up some of the stories from various zones while leveling. Once all that crap is dealt with, there's really only one place to focus on at a time.

I dont see your idea differ much from what we have got.

We had 16 Bosses at start of MOP. Thats a HUGE amount. Who cares if those 16 are in one instance or in three?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callypso View Post
    How is that any different if you have multiple small raids? You'd still be clearing all of them.

Doesn't really matter if it's 6+6+4 bosses like MSV/HOF/TOES, or 16 bosses in one raid like SoO: Should take about the same time to clear.
    I can't speak for everyone but having the ability to pick where you want to go is huge for me. Especially if we know the first boss of X raid is tough for our current raid but Z raid the first couple bosses aren't because they are bit more ranged friendly for instance. This way we can go make some progress on Z raid until our comp allows us to preform better on X raid. In a ToT type raid if you have issues on the first or second boss then there is no where else to go. I love progression and don't mind having to bash my head against a boss but I know a lot of people do.

I think the main factor in my logic here is the ability to choose. In the end people will want to clear them all, but having the choice to pick what's first is huge imo.

I rather have 2 raids with something like 6-8 bosses each than one raid with 12-16. but not only the first tier of each expansion, with all of them, variety helps a lot and is really good when we are talking about playing the same content for about 4-6 months.
    Last edited by Geckoo; 2013-08-29 at 09:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    TBC did the same. The first tier was Karazhan as a huge zone and Gruul (and Magtheridon, or was that already T5?). So it has been done before. ANd of course classic had this with Molten Core as the first tier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    I dont see your idea differ much from what we have got.

We had 16 Bosses at start of MOP. Thats a HUGE amount. Who cares if those 16 are in one instance or in three?
    Because then you aren't staring at the same damn scenery the entire time. It also lets you tackle multiple stories instead of just one.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.