Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #41
    I would also want an adjustable posture. Alot of the male characters are hunched over and look terrible, and so armor doesn't look like its painted on my well-toned rock solid body

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Nope, they never said that, infact heirlooms are coming in 5.4 for levels 90-100 so thats atleast 1 more expansion, if not 2, the only limit is the sky in terms of wow expansions, blizz have said as long as WoW makes money they'll keep adding new expansions.
    Wonder where they will go after the next one?? They should just WOW 2 it up and then everyone will be happy with thier updated everything and fresh clean slate.

  2. #42
    Dreadlord Evyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    842
    Quote Originally Posted by Veilsyde View Post
    I would also want an adjustable posture. Alot of the male characters are hunched over and look terrible, and so armor doesn't look like its painted on my well-toned rock solid body

    - - - Updated - - -

    Wonder where they will go after the next one?? They should just WOW 2 it up and then everyone will be happy with thier updated everything and fresh clean slate.

    Hate to burst your bubble but adjustable size and stuff, 3D armor, ... not going to happen.
    Maybe in wow 2.0.
    Add Alpha female worgen as an option ^^!

  3. #43
    The Lightbringer Humbugged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A state of madness
    Posts
    3,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Veilsyde View Post
    I would also want an adjustable posture. Alot of the male characters are hunched over and look terrible, and so armor doesn't look like its painted on my well-toned rock solid body

    - - - Updated - - -



    Wonder where they will go after the next one?? They should just WOW 2 it up and then everyone will be happy with thier updated everything and fresh clean slate.
    WoW 2 will come someday I'm sure, don't think now is the time for that though, especially given every "X 2.0" MMO wants to take us 100-1000 years into the future, and theres still story left to be told.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    If it's too hard, go to bed and forget about it.

    - Manakin.

  4. #44
    Brewmaster Aeula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rivenspire
    Posts
    1,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Veilsyde View Post
    I would also want an adjustable posture. Alot of the male characters are hunched over and look terrible, and so armor doesn't look like its painted on my well-toned rock solid body

    - - - Updated - - -



    Wonder where they will go after the next one?? They should just WOW 2 it up and then everyone will be happy with thier updated everything and fresh clean slate.
    They still have the burning legion and the old gods to wrap up (Mostly azshara and n'zoth with the old gods).

    Also i don't think many people would like loosing all their gear, mounts, pets, levels and having to start again, i'd certainly hate to loose my 200+ mount collection and my paladin :s

    - - - Updated - - -

    Anywho! back to the models.

    Models could go either way, remember the druid models ? Some prefer the new to the old ones but personally i think they made the cat and bear too 'cute' compared to the old ones.

  5. #45
    Scarab Lord Mokoshne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    getting a coffee
    Posts
    4,138
    i hope the models have full voice / lip sync capabilities so that we can get more detailed ingame cinematics and so that machinima creators can make truly epic work
    My weekly podcast can be downloaded here this week male breast feeding, batman and near death experiences

  6. #46
    The problem with taking their time is that if it takes too long, no one will be around to care. Their last comment on it made it sound like it's not taking that long after all, though.

    What scares me is that they really make it sound like they're trying to make these model upgrades as literal as possible, as to not upset people who might really like the way their characters look now. It's a noble goal, but part of the reason most people want model upgrades is because they have a lot of issues with the current models and animations. My personal example is the tauren. I liked the tauren in Warcraft III, I like the tauren in the lore, and I still like the tauren in the art. In game? They're these hideous, no-necked, hunchbacked abominations that run like bouncy plantigrade muppets, and not like a big noble race with hooves. They look like a sports mascot, not a minotaur.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    You know changing a Character Model isn't just about money?
    Money buys graphics contractors who can finish a race's new model and choices in a couple months. Money buys ten graphics contractors who can finish them all in one. Maybe another month for a couple programmers to make sure the new models work within the existing engine.

    Blizzard uses so much "in-house only" tactics with these things that they end up with those silly, red-faced-from-laughter, awful excuses like "well, if we added another layer of texture to this city, the next raid will be delayed." Meaning they use the same teams for everything and have almost no one who's ever not booked for months at a time.
    Last edited by TheWindWalker; 2013-08-29 at 07:02 PM.

  8. #48
    Scarab Lord Grubjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Spook central
    Posts
    4,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    The problem with taking their time is that if it takes too long, no one will be around to care. Their last comment on it made it sound like it's not taking that long after all, though.

    What scares me is that they really make it sound like they're trying to make these model upgrades as literal as possible, as to not upset people who might really like the way their characters look now. It's a noble goal, but part of the reason most people want model upgrades is because they have a lot of issues with the current models and animations. My personal example is the tauren. I liked the tauren in Warcraft III, I like the tauren in the lore, and I still like the tauren in the art. In game? They're these hideous, no-necked, hunchbacked abominations that run like bouncy plantigrade muppets, and not like a big noble race with hooves. They look like a sports mascot, not a minotaur.
    i think there is a broad spectrum of opinion on character models running from reactionary conservative (change nothing, revert all previous changes) to radical revisionism (create a completely new character model engine) and of course now matter where they ultimately draw the line that will split that spectrum, you'll have people on either side pissed off.

    The difficult task which blizzard has is finding a way to piss off the least amount of players.

    (Off topic i love your create-your-own-Ogre-character link)

  9. #49
    So you use screencaps where the majority were unintended bugs to show that players don't like silly texture bugs that make their characters look like shit. How does that have any bearing on the character model updates at all? Like.. at all? Plus the female human thing, while intentional, was a DOWNGRADE, so of course it looked worse.



    If 25% in two-three years constitutes "taking their time", then I'm NOT glad that they're working at a pace where it'll take 6 more years to get all vanilla models and 2 extra years for the TBC ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    Well it's good to see the keyboard activists in full effect. Doing the laziest, most asinine thing they could think of off the top of their heads and calling it justice while making no difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H20
    Blizzard effectively wants to have its cake and eat it too by pretending to have this groundbreaking war in a faction capital while at the same time being completely unwilling to portray logical consequences of such an event.

  10. #50
    I'm surprised how many people forgot (or never knew) about the human female "SUPRISE BUTT SECKS" model fiasco.

  11. #51
    Scarab Lord Grubjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Spook central
    Posts
    4,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    If 25% in two-three years constitutes "taking their time", then I'm NOT glad that they're working at a pace where it'll take 6 more years to get all vanilla models and 2 extra years for the TBC ones.
    25% in [we have absolutely no idea when they actually concertedly started] years.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    25% in [we have absolutely no idea when they actually concertedly started] years.
    According to them 4.3. That's a while now. Okay, not 3 years, that's for sure. But it's a while. It's just that they need to pick up their pace. I would like to see them happen before WoW ends, y'know? It's not as if I want them to botch it up or anything because these are actually very important to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    Well it's good to see the keyboard activists in full effect. Doing the laziest, most asinine thing they could think of off the top of their heads and calling it justice while making no difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H20
    Blizzard effectively wants to have its cake and eat it too by pretending to have this groundbreaking war in a faction capital while at the same time being completely unwilling to portray logical consequences of such an event.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    According to them 4.3. That's a while now. Okay, not 3 years, that's for sure. But it's a while. It's just that they need to pick up their pace. I would like to see them happen before WoW ends, y'know? It's not as if I want them to botch it up or anything because these are actually very important to me.
    It hasn't really been a "while" they've been working on the models on the side, but with Mists content mostly out of the way now, they can actually focus on stuff for Expansion 5 including the models.
    You tried too hard and now your post is shit. Never try too hard, the gamble isn't worth it. -Boubouille

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    It hasn't really been a "while" they've been working on the models on the side, but with Mists content mostly out of the way now, they can actually focus on stuff for Expansion 5 including the models.

    That's kinda my whole point then, right? If they stick to the pace from before, it will take way too long.



    So yes, I want them to pick up the pace. Doesn't mean I want them to botch it or that I don't know how big a job it is. Like I said.. around this pace (if this is from 4.3-5.4 that they worked on them) we'll get them in 5-6 years and then 1-2 more years for the TBC ones. So it's of the essence that they put more focus on it. That's why I don't agree with the thread. It implies that the current pace is acceptable. (under the guise of "taking their time")
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    Well it's good to see the keyboard activists in full effect. Doing the laziest, most asinine thing they could think of off the top of their heads and calling it justice while making no difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H20
    Blizzard effectively wants to have its cake and eat it too by pretending to have this groundbreaking war in a faction capital while at the same time being completely unwilling to portray logical consequences of such an event.

  15. #55
    The Lightbringer foxHeart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Inside Jabu-jabu's Belly
    Posts
    3,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Personally they shouldn't spend any money on something people only look at for 5 minutes out of 100's of game play hours.
    Let's just remove all races and give everyone grey cubes with no animations. Nobody would notice or care.
    Look! Words!

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    Let's just remove all races and give everyone grey cubes with no animations. Nobody would notice or care.

    People will tell you it's hyperbole, or strawman. But yeah, I'm sick of this "5 minute thing" rule someone invented conveniently to make their argument against updated player models more valid; because it doesn't. Transmog is solely aesthetic too. Loads of people love it. There are roleplayers who care about what their characters look like. Every NPC in the past and future using player models will be altered to look better. And not all of them wear armor. In fact, a minority do.


    Aside from updating the player models, it also updates NPC models, and overall gives WoW a sleeker, more updated feel.


    It might also pave the way to more 3D/modeled armor and geosets. Actually, since MoP, every NPC races started using armor geosets, so that's a good hint that Blizzard might be willing to try it with player models too.
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    Well it's good to see the keyboard activists in full effect. Doing the laziest, most asinine thing they could think of off the top of their heads and calling it justice while making no difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H20
    Blizzard effectively wants to have its cake and eat it too by pretending to have this groundbreaking war in a faction capital while at the same time being completely unwilling to portray logical consequences of such an event.

  17. #57
    Scarab Lord Grubjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Spook central
    Posts
    4,104
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    Let's just remove all races and give everyone grey cubes with no animations. Nobody would notice or care.
    CONFIRMED!? Grey cube the next playable race!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    People will tell you it's hyperbole, or strawman. But yeah, I'm sick of this "5 minute thing" rule someone invented conveniently to make their argument against updated player models more valid; because it doesn't. Transmog is solely aesthetic too. Loads of people love it. There are roleplayers who care about what their characters look like. Every NPC in the past and future using player models will be altered to look better. And not all of them wear armor. In fact, a minority do.


    Aside from updating the player models, it also updates NPC models, and overall gives WoW a sleeker, more updated feel.


    It might also pave the way to more 3D/modeled armor and geosets. Actually, since MoP, every NPC races started using armor geosets, so that's a good hint that Blizzard might be willing to try it with player models too.
    Totally, Transmog was perhaps one of the greatest contribution to game aesthetic since they first expansion. Aesthetics matter.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    CONFIRMED!? Grey cube the next playable race!

    - - - Updated - - -



    Totally, Transmog was perhaps one of the greatest contribution to game aesthetic since they first expansion. Aesthetics matter.

    It sure does! And of course gameplay matters. But every patch, every content patch, every expansion has new gameplay content, raids. This model update? Only once in the lifetime of WoW, if we're going to be realistic. Don't be selfish and take that from people who actually care about the player models just because you want a few extra raid assets. One extra boss per raid, or something.


    And this won't even affect gameplay. People have nothing to whine about this update that is long overdue.



    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    Well it's good to see the keyboard activists in full effect. Doing the laziest, most asinine thing they could think of off the top of their heads and calling it justice while making no difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H20
    Blizzard effectively wants to have its cake and eat it too by pretending to have this groundbreaking war in a faction capital while at the same time being completely unwilling to portray logical consequences of such an event.

  19. #59
    Scarab Lord Grubjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Spook central
    Posts
    4,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    It sure does! And of course gameplay matters. But every patch, every content patch, every expansion has new gameplay content, raids. This model update? Only once in the lifetime of WoW, if we're going to be realistic. Don't be selfish and take that from people who actually care about the player models just because you want a few extra raid assets. One extra boss per raid, or something.
    of course, new character models don't just compete with new raid content, or quests/scenarios/lore, it also and more directly competes with other ingame aethetic modeling, such as zone modeling, creature modeling, armor modeling. The bottle neck is how much time and resource the art department has to work with.

  20. #60
    Moderator Krekko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    4,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    they need to throw more money at it so the new models are ready for launch of next expansion.. none of this 25% bs
    I don't think you get how things work. That's not the solution.

    Hell, they could hire 200 guys to do it and get it done next month for 5.4.1, doesn't mean it would be good.


    Once again, it's damn you do damn you don't for Blizzard. Release run of the mill just "Money tossed" or "We did the best we could just to make it on time" models and people will lose their minds because they are not high quality. Take their time, do it right and try to make it be the most satisfying things ever and people complain that it's taking too long.

    On another side of that you have people saying "Just reallocate people from the AD to do this full time get it done faster!", come patch when the environmental and actual patch(es) art is lacking because of missing members you'll see "BLIZZARD HOW DARE YOU SKIMP WHERE IS MY MONEY GOING?!"

    Working in Film I know tossing more money at it is NOT the solution, in fact, many times it causes more problems. I've had producers offer up tons of more money we apparently didn't have in an initial budget to do some crazy feat, when it just simply doesn't make things happen on the level of quality they want. Like recently a co-worker of mine got offered a crazy stipend to edit a feature film from scratch in 2 weeks. In theory, it could get done, sure, but in practice, what they would have gotten would have been a pile of massive crap.
    Last edited by Krekko; 2013-08-29 at 09:19 PM.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    | [MoP]Ret Paladin Guide | Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

    WoW Level Scaling Feature

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •