Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    The problem with taking their time is that if it takes too long, no one will be around to care. Their last comment on it made it sound like it's not taking that long after all, though.

What scares me is that they really make it sound like they're trying to make these model upgrades as literal as possible, as to not upset people who might really like the way their characters look now. It's a noble goal, but part of the reason most people want model upgrades is because they have a lot of issues with the current models and animations. My personal example is the tauren. I liked the tauren in Warcraft III, I like the tauren in the lore, and I still like the tauren in the art. In game? They're these hideous, no-necked, hunchbacked abominations that run like bouncy plantigrade muppets, and not like a big noble race with hooves. They look like a sports mascot, not a minotaur.
    i think there is a broad spectrum of opinion on character models running from reactionary conservative (change nothing, revert all previous changes) to radical revisionism (create a completely new character model engine) and of course now matter where they ultimately draw the line that will split that spectrum, you'll have people on either side pissed off.

The difficult task which blizzard has is finding a way to piss off the least amount of players.

(Off topic i love your create-your-own-Ogre-character link)

So you use screencaps where the majority were unintended bugs to show that players don't like silly texture bugs that make their characters look like shit. How does that have any bearing on the character model updates at all? Like.. at all? Plus the female human thing, while intentional, was a DOWNGRADE, so of course it looked worse.

If 25% in two-three years constitutes "taking their time", then I'm NOT glad that they're working at a pace where it'll take 6 more years to get all vanilla models and 2 extra years for the TBC ones.

I'm surprised how many people forgot (or never knew) about the human female "SUPRISE BUTT SECKS" model fiasco.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    If 25% in two-three years constitutes "taking their time", then I'm NOT glad that they're working at a pace where it'll take 6 more years to get all vanilla models and 2 extra years for the TBC ones.
    25% in [we have absolutely no idea when they actually concertedly started] years.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    25% in [we have absolutely no idea when they actually concertedly started] years.
    According to them 4.3. That's a while now. Okay, not 3 years, that's for sure. But it's a while. It's just that they need to pick up their pace. I would like to see them happen before WoW ends, y'know? It's not as if I want them to botch it up or anything because these are actually very important to me.

According to them 4.3. That's a while now. Okay, not 3 years, that's for sure. But it's a while. It's just that they need to pick up their pace. I would like to see them happen before WoW ends, y'know? It's not as if I want them to botch it up or anything because these are actually very important to me.
    It hasn't really been a "while" they've been working on the models on the side, but with Mists content mostly out of the way now, they can actually focus on stuff for Expansion 5 including the models.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    It hasn't really been a "while" they've been working on the models on the side, but with Mists content mostly out of the way now, they can actually focus on stuff for Expansion 5 including the models.

That's kinda my whole point then, right? If they stick to the pace from before, it will take way too long.

So yes, I want them to pick up the pace. Doesn't mean I want them to botch it or that I don't know how big a job it is. Like I said.. around this pace (if this is from 4.3-5.4 that they worked on them) we'll get them in 5-6 years and then 1-2 more years for the TBC ones. So it's of the essence that they put more focus on it. That's why I don't agree with the thread. It implies that the current pace is acceptable. (under the guise of "taking their time")

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Personally they shouldn't spend any money on something people only look at for 5 minutes out of 100's of game play hours.
    Let's just remove all races and give everyone grey cubes with no animations. Nobody would notice or care.
    Look! Words!

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    Let's just remove all races and give everyone grey cubes with no animations. Nobody would notice or care.

People will tell you it's hyperbole, or strawman. But yeah, I'm sick of this "5 minute thing" rule someone invented conveniently to make their argument against updated player models more valid; because it doesn't. Transmog is solely aesthetic too. Loads of people love it. There are roleplayers who care about what their characters look like. Every NPC in the past and future using player models will be altered to look better. And not all of them wear armor. In fact, a minority do.

Aside from updating the player models, it also updates NPC models, and overall gives WoW a sleeker, more updated feel.

It might also pave the way to more 3D/modeled armor and geosets. Actually, since MoP, every NPC races started using armor geosets, so that's a good hint that Blizzard might be willing to try it with player models too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    CONFIRMED!? Grey cube the next playable race!

- - - Updated - - -

People will tell you it's hyperbole, or strawman. But yeah, I'm sick of this "5 minute thing" rule someone invented conveniently to make their argument against updated player models more valid; because it doesn't. Transmog is solely aesthetic too. Loads of people love it. There are roleplayers who care about what their characters look like. Every NPC in the past and future using player models will be altered to look better. And not all of them wear armor. In fact, a minority do.

Aside from updating the player models, it also updates NPC models, and overall gives WoW a sleeker, more updated feel.

It might also pave the way to more 3D/modeled armor and geosets. Actually, since MoP, every NPC races started using armor geosets, so that's a good hint that Blizzard might be willing to try it with player models too.
    Totally, Transmog was perhaps one of the greatest contribution to game aesthetic since they first expansion. Aesthetics matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally, Transmog was perhaps one of the greatest contribution to game aesthetic since they first expansion. Aesthetics matter.

It sure does! And of course gameplay matters. But every patch, every content patch, every expansion has new gameplay content, raids. This model update? Only once in the lifetime of WoW, if we're going to be realistic. Don't be selfish and take that from people who actually care about the player models just because you want a few extra raid assets. One extra boss per raid, or something.

And this won't even affect gameplay. People have nothing to whine about this update that is long overdue.

10+ Year Old Account
    It sure does! And of course gameplay matters. But every patch, every content patch, every expansion has new gameplay content, raids. This model update? Only once in the lifetime of WoW, if we're going to be realistic. Don't be selfish and take that from people who actually care about the player models just because you want a few extra raid assets. One extra boss per raid, or something.
    of course, new character models don't just compete with new raid content, or quests/scenarios/lore, it also and more directly competes with other ingame aethetic modeling, such as zone modeling, creature modeling, armor modeling. The bottle neck is how much time and resource the art department has to work with.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    they need to throw more money at it so the new models are ready for launch of next expansion.. none of this 25% bs
    I don't think you get how things work. That's not the solution.

Hell, they could hire 200 guys to do it and get it done next month for 5.4.1, doesn't mean it would be good.

Once again, it's damn you do damn you don't for Blizzard. Release run of the mill just "Money tossed" or "We did the best we could just to make it on time" models and people will lose their minds because they are not high quality. Take their time, do it right and try to make it be the most satisfying things ever and people complain that it's taking too long.

On another side of that you have people saying "Just reallocate people from the AD to do this full time get it done faster!", come patch when the environmental and actual patch(es) art is lacking because of missing members you'll see "BLIZZARD HOW DARE YOU SKIMP WHERE IS MY MONEY GOING?!"

Working in Film I know tossing more money at it is NOT the solution, in fact, many times it causes more problems. I've had producers offer up tons of more money we apparently didn't have in an initial budget to do some crazy feat, when it just simply doesn't make things happen on the level of quality they want. Like recently a co-worker of mine got offered a crazy stipend to edit a feature film from scratch in 2 weeks. In theory, it could get done, sure, but in practice, what they would have gotten would have been a pile of massive crap.
    Last edited by Krekko; 2013-08-29 at 09:19 PM.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

I understand these sort of projects take time. As an aspiring game developer, I often side with Blizzard on many of their arguments, because I can see both sides of the fence, and often enough they're right.

What is alarming though is the fact that they've said they're at a stable 25% with the models which gives the indication they won't be ready for the next expansion. I've no doubt Blizzard could pull it out of the bag if they wanted, but we've still yet to hear they're really committed to getting them done, as we're always told; "They're on the wishlist".

I'm glad they're taking their time with this project, but 25% was alarming to me. I just hope they pull it off.

- - - Updated - - -

I couldnt agree more. Also, I'm sure they want to try and bring people back or possibly get new people in. I dont think that (mainly off of my own opinion) people will want to play a game that looks like its aged like wow does or even subscribe to it. Visual appeal means alot in games and wow is no different

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL!!

Second pic clearly a meth addict. First pic was the reaction to her.

The human... "My. Eyelids. WHERE HAVE THEY GONE."
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2013-08-29 at 10:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, how fast are people expecting the next expansion? I think if they have 6+ months the models could be completed no problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm glad they're taking years working on some more mediocre new models like pandaren or god forbid: worgen.... The sad part is, I'm only half serious.

25% has no context because we don't know when they started them. If they started them when they first brought it up at Blizzcon when they were showing off the pandas, that's one thing. But if they started a few months ago they can easily be ready for the next expansion.

Deleted
    It looks like I'm the only one that doesn't really want new model updates. Is there any chance for Blizz to give us the option to maintain the character as it is, and not force us to change once they release the new stuff?

I've been playing my Night Elf Warrior for almost 7 years and I still love him as much as I did back then, and I do not want him changed, at all.