Image-Editing Software

I am looking for some good image editing software, I have the free version of Photoshop that Adobe offers but I want to keep options open. I know there is The Gimp, but I don't know of any others. Suggestions?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelstrider View Post
    I am looking for some good image editing software, I have the free version of Photoshop that Adobe offers but I want to keep options open. I know there is The Gimp, but I don't know of any others. Suggestions?
    paint.net

they are amazing and with all the pluggins you cant go wrong...

O and free free free...

Are the Plugins directly from their site?

15+ Year Old Account
    Are the Plugins directly from their site?
    yup...well there forums

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php...blishing-only/

Quote Originally Posted by Odina View Post
    I'm on the website and I don't see it saying anywhere that it's free....it's telling me to pay

Never mind there is a completely separate website that look like it was it :\

Deleted
    If you're on a Mac, try Pixelmator. Not free, but cheap and definitely worth the price!

For simple quick fixes I like Fastsone Image Viewer. It's free and has a batch option. It's nothing as complex as Photoshop though but works well for resizing and quick touchups.

I think one thing that needs to be asked is what is the use for this. I know there are some good programs out there, but some have more/less features than others.

For example, while I haven't used it yet, a friend is absolutely in love with Correl Painter vs photoshop for doing digital paintings. Which is different than image editing obviously, but PS can do digital painting too so IMO it's still a valid comparison on "tool for the job" type thing.

GIMP Master race.
    Google "Gimp" and click the first link.

If you want it for free then GIMP and Paint.net are good bets, I personally used the latter mentioned for quite some time.

That was until I got Photoshop, which is the master software.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I use pixelmator. Really though there are lots of "free" ways to get good software...

What are you looking to do, exactly? Are you looking to do something specific, or just want to investigate your options?

Photoshop is the best, followed by GIMP, but I'm sure you're already aware of those (as you've already stated in the OP). Honestly, with what those two offer, as well as them being free (well, CS2, that is), I don't see any reason to use any other software.

Deleted
    Can't go wrong with Photoshop, it's what pretty much all the professionals use, me included. But I don't know what's in the free version of Photoshop, sounds to me like it's a heavily limited basic version. If it's like that and you don't have the money to buy a full version (or willing to download one for free if you're living in a country where this stuff is legal, like mine) it might be better to get something else.

I'm a graphic designer and nothing beats Photoshop (or Illustrator/InDesign - depending on what you're doing). Did you know that you can actually subscribe to the latest version now? Much easier than having to fork out <massive sum of money> for the latest version like the old days. If you have an older full version, your monthly sub is like £9 (or thereabouts), otherwise it's more like £19. Not exactly a bank breaker - and you get the full latest version which updates whenever there is an update. Totally worth it!

10+ Year Old Account
    All I could think of when I read the title was this

- "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Honestly, you get what you pay (or don't) pay for. Yes the free and open source things are nice, but really, I like having something that is proven to be amazing.

First, what kind of image editing? Are you taking raw photos? Or are you taking pictures from a website and changing them so you can make a funny meme?

If you're like me and like taking photos (also known as being a photographer), I use both Lightroom and Photoshop. Lightroom is my favorite, and oftentimes I don't even need to open the corrected file in photoshop at all. However, if you're doing landscape photography, you're going to be using both.

If you just want to make a meme, paint will work just fine.

By the way, this series is HILARIOUS (it's called "You suck at photoshop") Episode 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_X5uR7VC4M
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__