Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Spanish, and English history is LOADED with them.

the Spanish are well ahead of the nazis in terms of wiping out a culture, cause they succeeded.

and don't forget England's east india trading company, which still fucking exists and operates to this day.
    Last edited by mordale; 2013-08-30 at 03:45 AM.

I don't know if you're still looking, but try the Trail of Tears. It was the forced relocation of Native Americans (I...honestly don't feel comfortable saying that phrase at times) in 1830.

Does it have to be "unethical" or just controversial? Because just about every unethical thing was justified in someone's eyes. And vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Cambodia and the khamer rogue!

10+ Year Old Account
    Saint Petersberg? Thousands died building it. That's pretty unethical. You could also factor in the end of the Swedish Empire and the battle of Poltava - Tsar Peter used captured Swedes as slaves to build the city.

Firebombing of Dresden and Hiroshima/Nagasaki are other tried and true ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Boring take something controversial like the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagsaki or maybe Garrosh bombing Theramore with a Manabomb.
    They were Weapon tests basically to impress Stalin.

"If we'd lost the war, we'd all have been prosecuted as war criminals." And I think he's right. He, and I'd say I, were behaving as war criminals. LeMay recognized that what he was doing would be thought immoral if his side had lost. But what makes it immoral if you lose and not immoral if you win?
    U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara

Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2013-08-30 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    Saint Petersberg? Thousands died building it. That's pretty unethical. You could also factor in the end of the Swedish Empire and the battle of Poltava - Tsar Peter used captured Swedes as slaves to build the city.
    But in the end it facilitated closer ties to the west, and inspired peace and stability throughout the tsardom, so it was all worth it! The unethical thing to do would've been not to build it! Other nationalities are no concern of ours! Caring for outgroups at the expense of your own is unethical, everybody knows that. Why, if we did that we'd be weakened by it, and they'd slowly destroy us for it, and then where do we stand? Destroyed by those unethical monsters! No, the only ethical thing to do is to treat them like property, as they would surely do to us had they the chance! Gotta keep our eyes on the bigger picture! In the end, it's worth it, as it will lead our - more ethical - culture to glory, and thus the world will be better for it, in the long term. It is the lesser evil.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Boring take something controversial like the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagsaki or maybe Garrosh bombing Theramore with a Manabomb.
    They were Weapon tests basically to impress Stalin.
    Except the damage those did was nothing compared to the firebombings, which targeted dense population centers because that's where the factories all were, and which they continued to perform after the bombs were dropped. Did they do those to impress Stalin as well? Or did they just hate the japs and wanted to horribly murder as many of their civilians as possible before the war ended?

Shit, gotta launch a few more raids before the war ends, which we already know it will! Those bombs were just for show, they already surrendered! Ha ha ha! Kill as many of them as possible while we still can!

Americans, amirite?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Grand Apothecary Putress's massacre of the wrathgate.

Deleted
    Speaking of unethical:

The Culling

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Except the damage those did was nothing compared to the firebombings, which targeted dense population centers because that's where the factories all were, and which they continued to perform after the bombs were dropped. Did they do those to impress Stalin as well? Or did they just hate the japs and wanted to horribly murder as many of their civilians as possible before the war ended?

Shit, gotta launch a few more raids before the war ends, which we already know it will! Those bombs were just for show, they already surrendered! Ha ha ha! Kill as many of them as possible while we still can!

Americans, amirite?
    Because three wrongs make a right? The japanese/germans were no saints obviously, the firebombings were wrong and the nukes are just better graspable because they are single events and hence make a better topic.

I think the Firebombings were partly to terrorize or exterminate the civilian workforce ,partly revenge and partly the will to utterly crush the whole civilization of the foe.
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2013-08-30 at 04:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Heya all,

For a college paper, I have to write about an unethical event or topic in history, and argue about which theory of justice was (or should have) been administered. I'm not a history buff in the slightest, so I was hoping to get some good ideas on an interesting case, event, what-have-you. Some of the examples within class has been the legality of prostitution, animal rights (specifically regarding animal farms), and purposefully giving Guatemalans syphilis in order to test penicillin on them.

To be clear, obviously I'm not asking you to do my assignment, I'm looking for ideas on what to write about. I look forward to your suggestions. Thanks in advance!
    My personal favorite is the use of the chemical Agent Orange in Vietnam. You can do a nice tie in to today too on how we're threatening to attack another country, Syria, for using chemical weapons in warfare. Paint it as hypocrisy or learning from our mistakes, it doesn't really matter.

Deleted
    Maybe the op can find an event in History were someone was legally prostituting Animals to spread syphilis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then I have done a poor job of explaining. It's about the administration of justice (as well as the varying theories of justice) on an event that is unethical. If that helps. I'm burnt out today.
    You still need to define if the event was internally unethical(ie: it was against the rules of the given society) or externally unethical(ie: it was against the rules of those outside the society). Before you can determine how to correctly apply justice. Lots of horrible things were ethical from an internal perspective.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

That's easy, anything the Catholic Church did since it's founding to up around the 1900s. You've got close to 2000 years of genocide, deceit, greed, and lies to pick from. The Crusades alone could give you multiple term papers. Even then I guess you could go with how they don't punish their priests/bishops/cardinals for diddling little kids in our current times and just ship them off to somewhere without media.

[QUOTE=ringpriest;22244687]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Glencoe[/QUOT

Would you believe one of my relatives was the alleged mastermind.

If you want strange, shocking or offbeat, maybe look into the times when lobotomies were forced on people. Or, if you want an event and not a practice, maybe look into the actions of the Americans during the revolution. That one would be a more controversial one, but I'm sure you could find something and it wouldn't quite be as obvious as some others.

Then I have done a poor job of explaining. It's about the administration of justice (as well as the varying theories of justice) on an event that is unethical. If that helps. I'm burnt out today.
    Depending on the definiton of Justice you have to use, i can see it as being pretty hard to find an unethical world event where "justice" was dealt.
    Unethical world events where no form of justice whatsoever was dealt, are everywhere. Or events where the justice was worse then the crime are also plentiful.