1. #1

    New to Demo at 90 - Couple of Questions

    Hey guys,

    Ive become pretty fascinated with the complexities of the Demo spec. Im new to 90 and only pulling about 35K DPS with my crappy gear. Got my hit to 14.5% about an hour ago. I have a couple of questions about Han of Gul'dan. Im talking PVE here, but do have a question about PvP at the bottom.

    Currently Ive been opening with the following.

    Curse of Elements, Corruption, HoG, shadow Bolt, Fel Flame, HoG, Meta before HoG hits, Doom, out of Meta, then Shadow bolt or soul fire if Molten has proceed.

    1) Ive noticed that after building about 750 DF and jumping into Meta to pop everything and burst, usually Ill have 2 Chaos Wave stacks ready to go. Do I use those in Meta, or keep them for when my DF runs out and use HoG instead?

    2) Should I be trying to corruption and Doom as many mobs as possible as well as trying to keep those dots up on all the mobs as time passes? That seems crazy complicated!

    3) in PvP, should I be using both stacks of HoG right away, or doing the PVE thing where I try to clip the first shadowflame stack at the last second?

    Thanks all! Fun times being a Demo lock! I suck at PvP though! No idea how to generate enough DF without popping my Imp Swarm right off the bat.


    - - - Updated - - -

    Shameless Bump

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleosith View Post
    Hey guys,

    Ive become pretty fascinated with the complexities of the Demo spec. Im new to 90 and only pulling about 35K DPS with my crappy gear. Got my hit to 14.5% about an hour ago. I have a couple of questions about Han of Gul'dan. Im talking PVE here, but do have a question about PvP at the bottom.

    Currently Ive been opening with the following.

    Curse of Elements, Corruption, HoG, shadow Bolt, Fel Flame, HoG, Meta before HoG hits, Doom, out of Meta, then Shadow bolt or soul fire if Molten has proceed.

    1) Ive noticed that after building about 750 DF and jumping into Meta to pop everything and burst, usually Ill have 2 Chaos Wave stacks ready to go. Do I use those in Meta, or keep them for when my DF runs out and use HoG instead?

    2) Should I be trying to corruption and Doom as many mobs as possible as well as trying to keep those dots up on all the mobs as time passes? That seems crazy complicated!

    3) in PvP, should I be using both stacks of HoG right away, or doing the PVE thing where I try to clip the first shadowflame stack at the last second?

    Thanks all! Fun times being a Demo lock! I suck at PvP though! No idea how to generate enough DF without popping my Imp Swarm right off the bat.
    Hi! Welcome to Demo!

    If you are a raider/progressing at all I would stick with Destro until you are well above the 520 iLvL mark and have UVLS otherwise it just isn't competitive at that level, but if you are playing Demo purely for the fun of it/want to learn more about it I can help a bit.

    I am not exactly sure if its due to being at 8100 haste or if its needed before fitting 2 SB's before your 2nd hand of Guldan, but do some testing as later on this is the best filler between your opener you listed there. Your opener does look fine by the way but you should also be opening with Dark Soul + Imp swarm glyphs and any Profession CD you have. Here is a handy opener I use personally

    /castsequence reset=target Hand of Gul'dan, Corruption, ***Insert Racial if you are Orc or Troll***, ***Lifeblood if herbalism***, Imp Swarm, Dark Soul: Knowledge, ***Insert glove name if you are Engineer***, Hand of Gul'dan, Metamorphosis, Doom, Doom,
    /petattack

    Please note the above macro and make changes depending on your race/professions. Also the double Doom is great IF you have UVLS and Glyph of Everlasting Affliction (you get a 2:20ish Doom with 100% crit chance) ***Note Glyph of Everlasting Affliction will be removed in 5.4***

    When you complete this rotation you should have enough Fury gain from imps/spells to last most if not all your Dark Soul duration in Meta form, I will generally run out of Demonic fury after this and it is up to you during caster form to decide whether you are:

    A) Casting Soul fire on Molten Core procs to build more Demonic Fury while weaving HoG's between Meta for max shadowflame dps
    (Costs a lot of mana and you won't have the stacks for meta)

    B) Casting shadowbolt while weaving HoG's between Meta for max shadowflame dps (Meaning you will have a lot of Molten Core procs for Meta)

    That is the basic gist of Demonology.

    If you have adds up that do have a substantial amount of health and aren't going to die soon cast Doom on them/when UVLS procs if you end up getting it.

    I could go into more detail, but just ask for any more information!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Destroxo View Post
    Hi! Welcome to Demo!

    If you are a raider/progressing at all I would stick with Destro until you are well above the 520 iLvL mark and have UVLS otherwise it just isn't competitive at that level, but if you are playing Demo purely for the fun of it/want to learn more about it I can help a bit.

    I am not exactly sure if its due to being at 8100 haste or if its needed before fitting 2 SB's before your 2nd hand of Guldan, but do some testing as later on this is the best filler between your opener you listed there. Your opener does look fine by the way but you should also be opening with Dark Soul + Imp swarm glyphs and any Profession CD you have. Here is a handy opener I use personally

    /castsequence reset=target Hand of Gul'dan, Corruption, ***Insert Racial if you are Orc or Troll***, ***Lifeblood if herbalism***, Imp Swarm, Dark Soul: Knowledge, ***Insert glove name if you are Engineer***, Hand of Gul'dan, Metamorphosis, Doom, Doom,
    /petattack

    Please note the above macro and make changes depending on your race/professions. Also the double Doom is great IF you have UVLS and Glyph of Everlasting Affliction (you get a 2:20ish Doom with 100% crit chance) ***Note Glyph of Everlasting Affliction will be removed in 5.4***

    When you complete this rotation you should have enough Fury gain from imps/spells to last most if not all your Dark Soul duration in Meta form, I will generally run out of Demonic fury after this and it is up to you during caster form to decide whether you are:

    A) Casting Soul fire on Molten Core procs to build more Demonic Fury while weaving HoG's between Meta for max shadowflame dps
    (Costs a lot of mana and you won't have the stacks for meta)

    B) Casting shadowbolt while weaving HoG's between Meta for max shadowflame dps (Meaning you will have a lot of Molten Core procs for Meta)

    That is the basic gist of Demonology.

    If you have adds up that do have a substantial amount of health and aren't going to die soon cast Doom on them/when UVLS procs if you end up getting it.

    I could go into more detail, but just ask for any more information!

    Thanks so much for this. This is exactly what I was looking for. I think I will stick with Demo because by the time I get the right gear, I'd like to be really good at it. Im only playing for fun at the moment and am not in a serious raiding guild.

    One question I still have is about dotting multiple targets with doom and corruption. Should I be doing this, even on 3 or more mobs, and mroe importantly, should I be tracking them and maintining them throughout a fight? This is where I feel a little overwhelmed if that's the case. I find it hard enough to properly toggle between multiple adds, as sometimes the same mob gets selected twice and I re-dot it by accident, losing dps. Also, would you advise a focus dotting macro using mouseover, so I dont have to select them at all and can stay on main target?

    Thanks again for the reply. Much appreciated.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleosith View Post
    Thanks so much for this. This is exactly what I was looking for. I think I will stick with Demo because by the time I get the right gear, I'd like to be really good at it. Im only playing for fun at the moment and am not in a serious raiding guild.

    One question I still have is about dotting multiple targets with doom and corruption. Should I be doing this, even on 3 or more mobs, and mroe importantly, should I be tracking them and maintining them throughout a fight? This is where I feel a little overwhelmed if that's the case. I find it hard enough to properly toggle between multiple adds, as sometimes the same mob gets selected twice and I re-dot it by accident, losing dps. Also, would you advise a focus dotting macro using mouseover, so I dont have to select them at all and can stay on main target?

    Thanks again for the reply. Much appreciated.
    I would download Tidyplates addon, seriously a great addon. I also have my own weak auras set up with dot times of my dots on who I am targeting, but in regards to your question:

    Yes for Doom, No for Corruption unless you're in a situation where you can corruption more than 5 adds, HoG twice, get into Meta form use Bladestorm on Fel/Wrathguard, put on Immolation Aura and Spam Void Ray(FelFlame meta spell) which will constantly do aoe damage and refresh corruption on adds 20 yards in front of you in a line.

    Also another exception would be during boss fights like Horridon/Council, but yeah you have to maintain them while also focusing on other things.

    I personally don't use mouseovers so I can't help you there sorry.

    Also incase you didn't know stat priority is: 15%Hit>Haste(8096)>Mastery>Haste>Crit

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Destroxo View Post
    I would download Tidyplates addon, seriously a great addon. I also have my own weak auras set up with dot times of my dots on who I am targeting, but in regards to your question:

    Yes for Doom, No for Corruption unless you're in a situation where you can corruption more than 5 adds, HoG twice, get into Meta form use Bladestorm on Fel/Wrathguard, put on Immolation Aura and Spam Void Ray(FelFlame meta spell) which will constantly do aoe damage and refresh corruption on adds 20 yards in front of you in a line.

    Also another exception would be during boss fights like Horridon/Council, but yeah you have to maintain them while also focusing on other things.

    I personally don't use mouseovers so I can't help you there sorry.

    Also incase you didn't know stat priority is: 15%Hit>Haste(8096)>Mastery>Haste>Crit
    Thanks! Great info! I think that'll do it for me!

    Cheers~


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •