Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Wow had 4.5 million subs at the end of the first year of release. It gained another million by Jan/Feb of 2006.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/7...ubscribers.php
    Subs do not expressly mean game copies sold.

Also to achieve that 5 million subs WoW had to be sold in Asia, Australia, NA and EU.

Anet are only talking 3.5M selling in EU and NA.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-08-30 at 03:06 PM.

Deleted
    Hopefully Guild Wars 2 might sell another million when released in China.

Lame marketing spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Subs do not expressly mean game copies sold.

It does mean active play accounts though. We can also guess that at least half those are box sales in the West. 5.5m by Jan'06, one year and one month after release.

Honestly, it was different time and a different gaming landscape to judge fairly. I would like to see the active concurrent users though for GW2.

It does mean active play accounts though.
    Were not discussing active play accounts...

We can also guess
    No... no you can't

Gw2 hasn't released in the eastern market yet so currently western market vs western market GW2 has sold more then Vanilla WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    They did in terms of sales. They are different MMO's that fill specific niches but yes GW2 outsold Vanilla wow in one year. Expansions they don't compare.
    Wrong, By the end of the first year, they were closing in on 4.5 million

Source
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/image/view/228643

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Wrong, By the end of the first year, they were closing in on 4.5 million

Source
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/image/view/228643
    Remove the eastern market

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    Thing is, comparing xpacks to new MMO's doesn't work
    Comparing sub based game to b2p game doesn't work too.

Quote Originally Posted by Amatalai View Post
    Comparing sub based game to b2p game doesn't work too.
    If they are both MMO's with a box price the payment model after the fact doesn't matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Remove the eastern market
    The fact is, they are not even remotely close to the fastest selling . . . anything.

Im the fastest C# coder.
    in this building, on the 17th floor, when the senior developer is out sick.

You see how that 2nd statement makes my first look like total bullshit?
    Last edited by Beazy; 2013-08-30 at 03:38 PM.

The fact is, they are not even remotely close to the fastest selling . . . anything.
    The fact is GW2 is the fastest selling MMO within 9 months of release in the western market. Not including the eastern market since it's not out yet or expansions.

Their advertising is focused on technical details which are true but peoples opinions state otherwise

It does mean active play accounts though.
    And that isn't what Anet or the research group are talking about either.

The metric is strictly confined to box & digital sales over 9 months in the Western market of a new MMO. Any other concern is immaterial to the statement.

I'm a bit confused how people think an expansion can be counted as an MMO. Simple test: Can you play the expansion without the main game? No, therefore it is not a new MMO.

I can play WoW without MOP. I cannot play MOP without WoW. So WoW is an MMO, MOP is not. Very very simple.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Deleted
    Is WoW vs Gw2 the new PC vs Mac thing?

Sure looks like it

There was alot of debate about this in the GW2 forum on this site so maybe you guys who dont understand whats being said should go read about it there.

Anyway the whole fastest selling MMO thing is all about the west (NA, EU) And has nothing to do with WoW's Total sales seeing as that included both East (asia) and West (NA, EU)

By comparing just NA and EU numbers GW2 beat vanilla WoW.

In the end its good for GW2 not that they beat Vanilla WoW but that they beat games like Swtor, Tera, TSW, Rift, which were all mmos that needed to be purchased at one point in time. It also gives us an idea of what kind of sales Wildstar and TESO should be aiming for a year after launch and hopefully for them the amount of subs they need. If those games cant beat GW2 in sales, box or digital then it proves to me they should have gone the B2P route.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    I'm a bit confused how people think an expansion can be counted as an MMO. Simple test: Can you play the expansion without the main game? No, therefore it is not a new MMO.

I can play WoW without MOP. I cannot play MOP without WoW. So WoW is an MMO, MOP is not. Very very simple.
    I'm still a bit confused as why it makes a difference when those expansions are still breaking sales records. It's rather pointless anyway though since GW2 has put themselves in a tiny block of Western B2P MMOs. Whether you count expansions or not WoW would still not be brought into it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    In the end its good for GW2 not that they beat Vanilla WoW but that they beat games like Swtor, Tera, TSW, Rift, which were all mmos that needed to be purchased at one point in time. It also gives us an idea of what kind of sales Wildstar and TESO should be aiming for a year after launch and hopefully for them the amount of subs they need. If those games cant beat GW2 in sales, box or digital then it proves to me they should have gone the B2P route.
    TSW is the only game in that list that they would have competed against in their claim.

It does mean active play accounts though. We can also guess that at least half those are box sales in the West. 5.5m by Jan'06, one year and one month after release.

Honestly, it was different time and a different gaming landscape to judge fairly. I would like to see the active concurrent users though for GW2.
    460,000+ according to the image.

jesus christ, who cares...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Everquest and Final Fantasy 11 players said the same about WoW too. Everyone saw how that turned out.
    Look also at how the hype ultimately crippled SWTOR.

Deleted
    Well i would be pretty damn surprised if a game developed in 2012 that took experience and learned
    from where other games succeeded and failed over the course of mmo-history wouldnt beat a game
    that was developed almost 10 years ago being one of the first mmos ever on the market.

Like comparing a the car from The Flintstones to a Ferrari created in 2013.

Its a great accomplisment in itself but comparing it to wow is just retarded
    Last edited by mmocb47e9d5b09; 2013-08-30 at 04:25 PM.