Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[FRONTPAGE] GW2 3.5M sold in their first year time, Fastest selling MMO in history?

On the frontpage there is a picture that says, that GW2 is the fastest selling MMO of all time.
    How is that possible if WoW Cataclysm, sold 3.3M on their first day.

And how much did Classic WoW sell for, 8M in first year?
    Hasn't WoW been the fastest MMO sold of all time? Or don't they count MMORPG with MMO?

Am i reading the picture wrong or did i miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    On the frontpage there is a picture that says, that GW2 is the fastest selling MMO of all time.
    How is that possible if WoW Cataclysm, sold 3.3M on their first day.

And how much did Classic WoW sell for, 8M in first year?
    Hasn't WoW been the fastest MMO sold of all time? Or don't they count MMORPG with MMO?

Am i reading the picture wrong or did i miss something?
    Guild Wars will probably say that the Cataclysm launch was an expansion, and thus doesn't count.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Guild Wars will probably say that the Cataclysm launch was an expansion, and thus doesn't count.
    Still, classic sold like what 8M in first year? that's 4.5M more then they claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

There's a footnote somewhere that it's the fastest selling MMO in the west
    Dear developers,

please nerf Rock, it's too overpowered. Paper is fine, however.
    Signed, Scissors.

They said 'in the west' which doesnt count European/Asian markets, which removes a fair amount of WoW's numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalx View Post
    There's a footnote somewhere that it's the fastest selling MMO in the west
    the footnote says its compared against other pay to play mmos in North America, Australia and Europe. so i think that means they are not comparing it to WoW since its sub based?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theiea View Post
    They said 'in the west' which doesnt count European/Asian markets, which removes a fair amount of WoW's numbers.
    the west doesn't include Europe? news to me.
    dragonmaw - EU

Still, classic sold like what 8M in first year? that's 4.5M more then they claim.
    Where do you get these figures from?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Where do you get these figures from?
    i didn't think WoW actually sold much in the first year, mmos were not as popular then, pretty sure it wasn't 8million in the first year.
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    If only 500k of those people stuck around... every time i play the world is empty.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    Too bad everyone came back to WoW. I dislike advertising like that, but what can you do...

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because WoW had 8 million subs doesn't mean they sold 8m copies, because as far as I know, people don't buy the game in the east. Having said that, I find this claim also rather dubious if you compare it to some expansion sales.

10+ Year Old Account
    its all marketing bs designed for the product to look good , smoke and mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by Theiea View Post
    i've always thought "west" covers EU as well.

Deleted
    Great. Now, how many players did actually stay there after buying into the hype?

That's the interesting question.

Not that impressive considering how big MMO market today is. SC2 sold 3-4 millions within first month and RTS market is really small compare to MMO's.

GW2 was good then the levelling just got uninteresting and boring and I just went back to WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe Cataclysm sold more and that was an expansion pack, not to mention GW2 was one of the most over hyped games of 2012. It was fun while it lasted but in the end wow will always be my main game.

Deleted
    The * that relates to the "Fastest Selling MMO in History" for those that are interested

* based on initial 9 months combined digital and retail sales units against PC pay and play MMORPG games; includes North America, Australia and Europe. Source DFC Intelligence

WoW did not sell 8 million copies in their first year, that much is certain. And expansions probably doesn't count.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Yea....no.

The first couple of days they had ~100k people playing the game concurrently. On the first day, all 40 servers were filled to capacity, so by the end of that weekend more were added. 200k people made accounts on the first day. The game launched in 2004. It wasn't until a couple years later, that they got up to 8 million sales..