Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    yay? DDD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post

Also, this does not fit the clip we heard about previously, which was a human and orc fighting in a desert like landscape.
    you haven't been paying attention then they said that the clip shown at comic-con was just a preview of how the movie should look like it wasn't showing a part of the actual movie.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellixen View Post
    I believe it's been said in the past (can't find source so take with a grain of salt) that the movie will take place during the Orcs vs. Humans era (aka Warcraft 1) and will be from the human point of view only.
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2007/08/04/li...n-movie-panel/ Here's the source, and the source is ancient (everything is relative) and they've changed directors once or twice since then. So yeah, until we have either an official trailer or official word, I'll treat this as a hoax or just rubbish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by yuareapirate View Post
    you haven't been paying attention then they said that the clip shown at comic-con was just a preview of how the movie should look like it wasn't showing a part of the actual movie.
    Ahh yes, I actually do remember that now that you bring it up, thank you. Still, doesn't change the fact that the article contains almost 7 year old, now debunked, information.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    urrrrrrrmm... either this is a joke, or a really stupid decision.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Ben Affleck for Arthas? Just like his going to be Batman in Man of Steel 2

Deleted
    Well, it's a casting call and these normally come from the studios themselves, so there is a great chance that it's the real deal.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Or, a hoax or just a bunch of really bad journalists. Heck, or a very foul smoothie of all of the options.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Well, it's a casting call and these normally come from the studios themselves, so there is a great chance that it's the real deal.
    That said, it's still strange that they chose to include the http://wow.joystiq.com/2007/08/04/liveblogging-the-blizzcon-movie-panel/ description of the movie, I mean surely this cannot be relevant in any possible way. They changed director, changed the overall storyline, added the "anti-Thrall" and so on and so forth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sickness View Post
    Ben Affleck for Arthas? Just like his going to be Batman in Man of Steel 2
    And in the new Batman, and in the upcoming Justice League. Busy busy Ben :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Not gonna comment on whether the links are hoaxes or not, but I never expected anything BUT Arthas' story for the movie.

It is easily the most popular and iconic story of the Warcraft franchise, along with it's titular hero being one of the most complex and relatable characters in that universe to boot. Plus it sets up a possible trilogy of movies, if they follow the rough Warcraft 3 storyline, into a version of the TFT storyline, into a version of the Wotlk storyline. Arthas' story is very rich and there are countless opportunities for decent movies along his timeline.

People need to remember that a general audience will not buy into a Warcraft movie that is just about "Warcraft", ie Orcs vs Humans or something along those lines. It needs a gripping storyline along the classic lines of greek tragedy such as Arthas (or Illidan for that matteR), the fallen hero that you can sympathize with. In the wake of that storyline, you can introduce the world and feed the audience morsels of story introduction to the Warcraft universe without overwhelming.

A human kingdom falling to an undead zombie invasion is also very highly marketable right now due to the rage over shows like Walking Dead and popular zombie movies of the past 10 years. It's the perfect fit, very much looking forward to it.

While I agree, I don't think the movie should tell a pure Horde, or pure Alliance story - tell a story like Warcraft 1 or Warcraft 2, a story with two sides and at least a protagonist for each side. Anything else will cause a fan-based shitstorm honestly.
    I have a feeling that those wanting it to be horde centric are going to be rather disappointed. The mass market don't know the lore, and explaining all the aspects to a new base in a popcorn movie will be risky.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Not really. This is there most popular character in Warcraft, and arguably the most relatable to those who don't follow the story. Also, I like this better, because we can get a Horde PoV, and not a LotR ripoff.

So hoping this is true!

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitare-sp View Post
    I have a feeling that those wanting it to be horde centric are going to be rather disappointed. The mass market don't know the lore, and explaining all the aspects to a new base in a popcorn movie will be risky.
    It's very likely. But as I said, I don't want it to be faction-centric, just show a story which shows both factions, really shouldn't be that hard. And true, the mass market doesn't know the lore at all, but that's honestly all the more reason as to I think they should show a two-faction story, to show that it isn't just a LotR rip-off that's black vs white.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by babo7000 View Post
    Not really. This is there most popular character in Warcraft, and arguably the most relatable to those who don't follow the story. Also, I like this better, because we can get a Horde PoV, and not a LotR ripoff.

So hoping this is true!
    Uuurgh... An Arthas movie would not be a Horde PoV... At all. And sure, Arthas has a lot of fans, but honestly, I reckon there are just as many who dislikes him and about as many who doesn't care about him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    Not gonna comment on whether the links are hoaxes or not, but I never expected anything BUT Arthas' story for the movie.

It is easily the most popular and iconic story of the Warcraft franchise, along with it's titular hero being one of the most complex and relatable characters in that universe to boot. Plus it sets up a possible trilogy of movies, if they follow the rough Warcraft 3 storyline, into a version of the TFT storyline, into a version of the Wotlk storyline. Arthas' story is very rich and there are countless opportunities for decent movies along his timeline.

People need to remember that a general audience will not buy into a Warcraft movie that is just about "Warcraft", ie Orcs vs Humans or something along those lines. It needs a gripping storyline along the classic lines of greek tragedy such as Arthas (or Illidan for that matteR), the fallen hero that you can sympathize with. In the wake of that storyline, you can introduce the world and feed the audience morsels of story introduction to the Warcraft universe without overwhelming.

A human kingdom falling to an undead zombie invasion is also very highly marketable right now due to the rage over shows like Walking Dead and popular zombie movies of the past 10 years. It's the perfect fit, very much looking forward to it.
    While I agree and agree, there are many gripping stories in Warcraft besides Illidan or Arthas (Mr. and Mrs. Overhused honestly...), not to mention that if they really *do* go with Arthas, I honestly think that most people who knows nothing of Warcraft will see it as LotR with Anakin Skywalker honestly.

Your zombie-craze is however, a very valid point.

It did have the placeholder name as Wrath of the Lich King at one point, though that was many years ago and would of course have changed a long time ago by now, and it wasn't even that trustworthy to begin with. Still, just sprang to mind again.

I could see it happen, it'd be a very lame and unoriginal choice for a movie storyline since the story has been done to death a million times already, the only reason I'd at least feel like it is warranted is because of how incredibly poorly LK was handled in Wrath itself. Either way, there are still many more storylines I'd rather see touched upon instead, but the "Good hero turns bad" storyline has always been easy to pull off and is incredibly popular with teenagers too, so it's not unrealistic.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    It did have the placeholder name as Wrath of the Lich King at one point, though that was many years ago and would of course have changed a long time ago by now, and it wasn't even that trustworthy to begin with. Still, just sprang to mind again.

I could see it happen, it'd be a very lame and unoriginal choice for a movie storyline since the story has been done to death a million times already, the only reason I'd at least feel like it is warranted is because of how incredibly poorly LK was handled in Wrath itself. Either way, there are still many more storylines I'd rather see touched upon instead, but the "Good hero turns bad" storyline has always been easy to pull off and is incredibly popular with teenagers too, so it's not unrealistic.
    Add a bunch of zombies and some hunk to play Arthas... Oh dear god this'll be the Warcraft Twilight Adventure >.>

It's very likely. But as I said, I don't want it to be faction-centric, just show a story which shows both factions, really shouldn't be that hard. And true, the mass market doesn't know the lore at all, but that's honestly all the more reason as to I think they should show a two-faction story, to show that it isn't just a LotR rip-off that's black vs white.

- - - Updated - - -

Uuurgh... An Arthas movie would not be a Horde PoV... At all. And sure, Arthas has a lot of fans, but honestly, I reckon there are just as many who dislikes him and about as many who doesn't care about him.

- - - Updated - - -

While I agree and agree, there are many gripping stories in Warcraft besides Illidan or Arthas (Mr. and Mrs. Overhused honestly...), not to mention that if they really *do* go with Arthas, I honestly think that most people who knows nothing of Warcraft will see it as LotR with Anakin Skywalker honestly.

Your zombie-craze is however, a very valid point.
    You have to remember this is not a film for Warcraft fans (although they'll make a good proportion of the viewers), its a film for mass market people which have probably never heard of Warcraft before, and probably never played the game.

It's like tailoring a film for only comic book buyers, which make a tiny proportion of the people which go to see comic book movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Skywalker, Arthas etc stories are simply versions of classic tragedies, they are repeated in many stories all the time. There are only so many story themes you can tell, and the most engaging ones usually involve human weakness, corruption and moral ambiguity. The son defeating the father is not just a classic story element, it has incredibly deep roots in Freudian psychology. Not to drift too far, but Arthas and Illidan are a big part of the enormous Warcraft boom of the late 2000's, precisely because of their familiar story elements.

And yeah, there are countless awesome stories in Warcraft lore, but I doubt they will go with anything but a human main protagonist to start with, in order to have an easily relatable main character. Otherwise the audience will be thrown into a universe they know nothing about and it will likely be put off as a movie for the fans only. That's not the goal.

So hoping this is true!
    How would you get a Horde PoV? Sylvanas gives a single 'fuck you' to Arthas before his story and that of the Forsaken branch off completely. Besides, at the time, the Forsaken are their own thing, and not yet part of the Horde. Same for the Blood Elves.

Yea, the Orcs won't get much screen time, unless they include the freeing of the Orcs and the Kalimdor events alongside, which would be more than likely if they planned for sequels, but at least they wouldn't get painted as bloodthirsty monsters like they would be if the film was based in WC2.

Also, Belves and Forsaken should get some time.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitare-sp View Post
    You have to remember this is not a film for Warcraft fans (although they'll make a good proportion of the viewers), its a film for mass market people which have probably never heard of Warcraft before, and probably never played the game.

It's like tailoring a film for only comic book buyers, which make a tiny proportion of the people which go to see comic book movies.
    You are absolutely right - HOWEVER - the fans will still cause a shitstorm, where as the mass market people won't. Granted, now matter what or how they do this movie will of course cause a shitstorm, because we are dealing with fans.... So all-in-all, I don't know, but I'll continue to hope that at least part of this is a hoax or just wrong as I'm honestly sick and tired of Arthas and his story.

Deleted
    Last time I've checked it suppose to be about Khadgar and Medivh?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/...warcraft-film/

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yea, the Orcs won't get much screen time, unless they include the freeing of the Orcs and the Kalimdor events alongside, which would be more than likely if they planned for sequels, but at least they wouldn't get painted as bloodthirsty monsters like they would be if the film was based in WC2.

Also, Belves and Forsaken should get some time.
    The Forsaken might yes, but that's more than likely before they joined the Horde - same for the Blood Elves, and for most of the time they'd be High Elves not Blood Elves.

And eh I dunno, while the majority of the orcs were indeed rather angry during Warcraft 1-2, there were a few who weren't, who could for that said reason be the protagonists of the Horde side of the conflict, and also act as the harbingers of grey-vs-grey instead of black-vs-white.

Oh well...