Because:
    -lore
    -best looking armor sets
    -playable pvp
    -people weren't able to clear new raids within hours or days
    -game didn't feel like some fun private server with 150k dps

Quote Originally Posted by statlerthegreat View Post
    Its time for a lesson in opinion vs fact:

Just about everything on this list is wrong.

The zones were terrible. Hellfire as visually nauseating as it was, still wasn't as eye searing as SMV. Netherstorm was 12 shades of purple and pink making it ugly as sin in its own right. Basically Nagrand was the only decent zone in TBC.

Epics dropped at the end of every heroic. While more difficult than the current heroics, it was still not that difficult sans 1 or 2 (Shadow Vaults was basically unpuggable on both servers I played on in TBC). Kara wasn't exactly hard to clear, Zul Aman wasn't if you were careful and not doing bear runs. Mags was easy, and if you had a warlock that could enslave demons so was Gruul. Getting full epic gear wasn't that difficult. You also had t5 grade badge epics patched in soooooo... Edit: Wasn't basically the entire loot table for MGT epic? I think it was sans the pet and orb.

World bosses exist now.

There are plenty of factions in the game and in every expansion. Or have you missed the roughly 1 million threads bitching about dailies and rep grinds?

There are full realms, brimming with activity. There are also dead realms. Just like TBC. The only reason there are more dead realms is because Blizzard expanded the number of realms.

There are more active raid guilds. And unlike TBC more guilds are achieving greater progress.

Arena still exists.

World PVP died with battle grounds. Its not because of flying mounts, its not because blizzard did something blah blah blah.. Its because the player base as a collective doesn't want to do it. Some players do. But not enough to make it happen on a consistent basis. Anyone who has a an issue with lack of world pvp needs to take it up with it's server's players. Not blizzard.

See this? This is a counter to just about everything you said. Why? Because you stated opinion. As did I. TBC was a great expansion. Its when I started playing it and in my opinion, the best the game ever was. But if they rolled everything back to TBC days, just about every single one of us who thinks that would quit. Because as much as everyone bitches, they rely on all the improvements. To a degree they don't realize. People forget what it was like before LFD trying to get a heroic done. And that doesn't even touch on things like not having to keep currency in your bags or mounts, or a whole lot of other shit everyone forgets about.

TBC was great, but at some point take off the rose colored glasses, some things are better than they were, some are worse.
    Everything is right thxverymuch. How visually pleased you were with TBC is your opinion, he loved it, as did I and many others. ALL the raids were hard to clear when in appropriate gear. World bosses now are pathetic and requires nothing but a large group of people autoattacking it till it falls. The realms were MUUUCh more active back then they are now, this is a fact. How are they achieving greater progress today? Because the raids are so godawful easy that they're beaten within a week? Ok. The arena community today is a shadow of its former self, for good reason, pvp is no longer fun, and less balanced than ever.

World PvP thrived in TBC, you just didn't experience it, evidently.

And, I certainly haven't forgotten how it was doing a heroic before LFD, it was a joyeous process requiring thought, interaction and good behavior, I miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Because they do. Why do you care about what they love?
    finally some1 feels the same way.

i never understand the why do xx people enjoy yy. or xx should be removed because some people like it but i don't so it should be removed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gee View Post
    TBC had
    Epics were only for those who had skill
    Great raids: Karazhan, Gruul, Magtheridon, SSC, TK, Zul'Aman, BT, Sunwell
    You fraud but your first WoW subscribtion in WotlK admit it.

The term 'welfare epics' and complains about Epic gear being to easy to obtain started in Burning Crusade.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    The zone thing is a matter of opinion, personally I think the Netherstorm is one of the most creative and interesting zones in WoW. I remember hearing about the zone before the expansion came out and it totally lived up to the hype. Nagrand has a weird mystique and beauty to it, Shadowmoon valley has that whole evil creepy thing going on with it. But I guess we'll agree to disagree.

5 man heroics dropped *one epic* sometimes at the end of the run, but you had to play smart - cc bosses, follow mechanics and such. Compare that to 5 mans now, at what point do they actually engage you? lol, you just run around and aoe stuff.

As for raids, I think MoP and BC both had good raids, can't say there's a big difference, besides LFR, which hands out free epics, and most players have to go through if they want progression. I think BC would've sucked if you had to go through a "LFR" version of black temple, where you one shot Illidan, instead of gearing up for heroics, doing previous raids, and then finally going in after Illidan. Would've killed a lot of the mystique and interest in it.
    BC heroics were not hard. People were just awful at the game.
    There is nothing hard about CCing trash before a pull-- and I say that as a rogue who had to sap without Imp Sap (I.e. When you sap, stealth breaks and all the mobs get aggro'd onto you). It was not difficult, it was not challenging. It was god awful tedious. Any tank that wasn't a retard could pull aggro off of me, it just meant the group had to go through extra, annoying steps while clearing trash, making runs take several times longer than they needed to.

Things taking more time =/= difficulty.

Do you realize what a complete joke most lower tier raid encounters in TBC were?

Even on LFR, Lei Shen, council and Durumu are more complex fights than the majority of fights before T6.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    After playing WoW for 2 years, it was exciting to hear of an xpac - to explore a new wold. To get flying and to get to try out new and exciting ideas in dungeons etc. I don't know if we were just more open minded in TBC and not spoiled by the whole judgemental attitude of "Ah well it is gonna be shit" that we keep seeing today?

I mean...if a patch like 2.1 (voice chat) would be a major patch today? People would go apeshit. TBC still lived off the "Oh it is new and shiny" stuff and I could even stomach overtuned (25 man) intro raids like Gruul and Mag (basically 1 and 2 boss raids). Another thing that people would go apeshit about today. Think about it: Classic offered 40 man raids and the intro raid of TBC was 10 man, effectively splitting your guild. You needed 2.5 grps to gear up for the 25 man raids that followed.

In a way..yeah..amazing that ppl loved TBC.

- - - Updated - - -

This is..may I call it..bullshit nostalgia? http://www.sk-gaming.com/content/163...rld_first_list

Even in TBC, bosses fell within days. Unless they were gated or hidden behind resistance checks. But hey...with your attitude, I bet you are part of the guilds that clear HMs in MoP in week one, right? RIGHT?
    Have you read that list at all? Compared the first kill dates to the release of the patches? Go do it, plx. You'll find that virtually all content has been cleared faster after TBC, why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    There is nothing hard about CCing trash before a pull-- and I say that as a rogue who had to sap without Imp Sap (I.e. When you sap, stealth breaks and all the mobs get aggro'd onto you). It was not difficult, it was not challenging. It was god awful tedious. Any tank that wasn't a retard could pull aggro off of me, it just meant the group had to go through extra, annoying steps while clearing trash, making runs take several times longer than they needed to.

Things taking more time =/= difficulty.

Do you realize what a complete joke most lower tier raid encounters in TBC were?

Even on LFR, Lei Shen, council and Durumu are more complex fights than the majority of fights before T6.
    Yeah, such a joke, wonder why they were loved and still are loved by most everyone that ACTUALLY PLAYED back then. No one found CCing annoying, it was difficult, and placed personal responsibility on the CCrs as well as everyone else in not breaking it, it was something for people to be good at and multitask with their normal damage dealing. Not a pathetic masturbation of AOE which we've been seeing for 2 expansions now.
    Last edited by Shiny212; 2013-08-31 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Axylum View Post
    1. It was the first expansion
    2. Levelling went smoother
    3. Raids were really challenging & amazing
    4. The tier looked amazing in those days and anyone who got their hands on a full set was the equivalent like a hardcore heroic raider
    5. Heroics & Atunement farm (some disliked it) but I found it quite amusing back than
    6. Flying mounts for the first time!!!
    7. 2 new races wich was a welcome addition on the classic races
    8. Illidan & his cinematic
    9. Arena & pvp was quite fun back than
    10. World pvp

And I could go on and on but you will probably don't get it unless you we're in it yourself.
    It was a blast, I wouldn't go back to it now since its not really relevant for the current
    gaming generation (things took to long for the casual gamer) but man did we have fun
    Arena was fun untill a rogue druid team ruined my rating! because of that i couldnt be gladiator!!!!! :@

Why do people like something I hate? I'm afterall the standard that every human on Earth should follow!

Ill just leave this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeUhSjuhQYE
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

I loved TBC. Lost of good memories with beginning raiding and pvp and exploring outland. Bad memories too.

But I rather it be a nostalgic memory than to re live the whole expansion again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    The term 'welfare epics' and complains about Epic gear being to easy to obtain started in Burning Crusade.
    Welfare epics? Hell, I remember carrying bad people through ZG to get loot.

Epic is a meaningless designation anyways.

Yes..I have read that list AND compared it with release dates. SWP bosses fell the day that the gates opened. BT was cleared up to Mother Shazz (resistance check) very fast. Even Naxx 40 that ..like ....a handful of people ever saw was cleared half way in the first week.

Now..ofc we can open the debate if C'thun was bugged or people had no skill because he lasted so long..but I think the consensus is bugged.

Look..I am not posting this list for fun, I have been posting this list for years on this forum when topics like the one here arise (and they always do)

I have been here since day 1. I raided in Classic, in TBC, and onwards. I raided current content. I loved all the x-pacs. I just cannot stand this "everything was better in the old days" shit. And I swear in RL none of you can stand it, because that is the stuff that your parents and relaives tend to bore you with. You know..the sort of "In my time we walked 10 miles to school barefoot in the snow and it was uphill both ways"
    M'uru says hi.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. The raids
    2. Heroics were ACTUALLY heroics and I had a love hate relationship with Shattered Halls.
    3. Tailoring was specialized and if you were specialized in Spellcloth you had to fight the boss to craft it every CD.
    4. Awesome world bosses and world PvP
    5. I actually felt like I earned my gear
    6. I actually liked having to do attunements.
    7. Like Axylum said the tier looked amazing back then and anyone who got a set was taken seriously and they wanted to group with you.

Like Axylum also said I could go on and on about what made BC, BC but if you were not there you won't ever get it. The same goes for the original (classic) WoW if you didn't do it you wont ever get it.

Did we have addons and datamining on the same scope?
    Not trying to nitpick, but there was an addon that told you exactly where, when, and how to move to avoid the energy orbs of Void Reaver (thus the nickname "Loot Reaver", cause the energy orbs were the most difficult aspect of the whole fight.)

I also used many more addons in BC than I do these days. So just a bit a perspective there.

Also one of my favorite sites back then was Thottbot, which heavily used datamining.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

Yes...and so does HM Lich King. Who was never killed before the buff was applied. Now what? WotLK was still called Wrath of the casual King. So...M'uru says "Hi" and that makes TBC awesome and HM LK says "Hi" but that doesn't count?

What is it with you guys. Are you part of any of the guilds who cleared Naxx 40, BT, SWP, ICC or now ToT as a world first? You gonna be judgemental on how fast raids were cleared by OTHERS who are NOT you?

Was every boss in TBC on the PTR as well? Did we have addons and datamining on the same scope?
    Keep convincing yourself, lol

The biggest reasons is because it was likely when most people learned to raid correctly. Vanilla raids were boring as hell and required insane time efforts, so they obviously saw low participation. With TBC raids became more accessible with lower number of people required, and more loot dropping per person meant you were actually progressing your character at a decent pace. So for many, TBC was their first real raiding experience, and of course you can never achieve that "first time" feeling ever again.

I myself have fond memories of it. There were some really awesome fights back then. Far better than Vanilla. But I really would never want to go back, having nothing but raiding, mat farming, and daily heroic was annoying. And the fights were pretty much as awesome as they were today it's not like they were any better. That's when I started leveling alts heh.
    Last edited by Vongimi; 2013-08-31 at 06:07 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes...and so does HM Lich King. Who was never killed before the buff was applied. Now what? WotLK was still called Wrath of the casual King. So...M'uru says "Hi" and that makes TBC awesome and HM LK says "Hi" but that doesn't count?

What is it with you guys. Are you part of any of the guilds who cleared Naxx 40, BT, SWP, ICC or now ToT as a world first? You gonna be judgemental on how fast raids were cleared by OTHERS who are NOT you?

Was every boss in TBC on the PTR as well? Did we have addons and datamining on the same scope?
    No some bosses in TBC were never on the PTR because they wanted the experience to be a surprise. We did have addons back then though I had a few I enjoyed.
    I was a part of some hardcore guilds back in BC before and then also in WOTLK but I never "Judge" others that always annoyed me and still does.

The beginning of WOTLK was awesome I actually enjoyed it but when they took a bat to it and made it feel like gear was "free for all" I lost my like for it.

Quote Originally Posted by glycerethe View Post
    M'uru says hi.
    M'uru was killed in 3 days.... And than nerfed....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

"Hard" is relative. Obviously 5 mans in TBC weren't hard like heroic Lei Shen hard but they were a lot harder than dungeons have ever been since then. Basically the best example from today would be doing a challenge mode without worrying about the timer, that's more or less what TBC heroics were like. So, as you would in a challenge mode, you CCed stuff etc and took your time because if you rushed you usually wiped unless it was a far above average group.

I mean, people complained about the difficulty of 5 mans in Cata and I remember running heroic Tol'vir in the second week of the expansion with a hunter pet tanking, something you never could have done in TBC. If that constitutes a difficult heroic today, then yeah, a heroic where you have to CC and if the CC breaks you wipe is pretty damn hard. Relatively speaking I'd say for example Kael trash was hard too, for trash, for the same reason. You had to CC and if your CC broke you wiped. Is casting polymorph hard? Well obviously not, but if you're comparing it to pull + AoE being the entire strat, it is.

And this just reads like someone who never did the fights, frankly. Not to mention that "complex" is pretty irrelevant, unless you really think "has a lot of stuff going on" is what makes a challenging boss. Okay sure, Lurker for instance wasn't a particularly hard boss, but it was about a thousand times harder than anything that has ever been in LFR. I mean for one, you had to have a strat, send people to specific platforms, heal multiple tanks at once through non-trivial amounts of damage and have them hold aggro etc. And there was a mechanic which one shot you if you messed up. I mean, the beam on Durumu kills half the raid every time in LFR and it always goes in the exact same spot and doesn't actually activate for about 20 seconds. Imagine if it was Lurker spout? And that, along with VR, was the easiest pre-t6 fight in the expansion. The only TBC boss I would say was anywhere near LFR difficulty and would have sat on the easier end of normal mode is Rage Winterchill, which was definitely in the "hard to actually wipe" category of boss difficulty. That was t6 though.

Generally speaking if you're comparing the raids in TBC to heroic raiding today, today's fights are significantly more challenging mechanically while the game was more unforgiving then. Most classes can do most things these days so you can handle the problems in a variety of ways and small mistakes in movement or rotations are easily overcome, which is why the bosses have more complex mechanics to compensate. But things like tank deaths were a lot more common in that period because even though your tank healers basically spammed one button, if they ever stopped spamming it for whatever reason it was pretty much a wipe. For what it's worth I think today's design is probably better overall, and ToT heroic was definitely as hard as the game has ever been when it first came out, but that definitely doesn't mean TBC was easy. The end bosses in T5 were very hard and the others were like the easier end of heroics are today in terms of the learning curve.
    Last edited by Gondlem; 2013-08-31 at 05:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vongimi View Post
    The biggest reasons is because it was likely when most people learned to raid correctly.
    This and I had a lot of fond memories back in TBC and a lot of things I felt proud to accomplish.