Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How do you not worry

When I sit still, I observe that every single thought I have is a worry. I forgot how to not worry. I forgot if I ever had thoughts that were not worries. I need to find them again, if they existed.

What thoughts do you have that are not worries?

I tend not to worry. If it's something I can fix, then I get busy fixing it. If it's something I can't fix...well, not much I can do about it...work around it or find alternatives. Worrying is your brain trying to distract you from getting shit done :P
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    If you can fix it, then why worry? If it cannot be fixed then worrying does no good.

Deleted
    Try doing sports or meditation.

Deleted
    Don't worry about things you can't control, if you can control it, do something about it instead of worrying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by swineflu View Post
    When I sit still, I observe that every single thought I have is a worry. I forgot how to not worry. I forgot if I ever had thoughts that were not worries. I need to find them again, if they existed.

I'd recommend pro-actively trying to change the things you're worrying about, so that they 'don't' make you worry anymore. I know that's easier said than done, but it's honestly how I go about it. At least when I know I've done everything I can, it gets easier to think about other things, and in the best case scenarios, your actions actually remove or lessen your reason to worry in the first place. When I say ''change'' these things, I mean if say, you're worried about your job or lack of one, then what can you yourself do, to change that? Really start your jobsearch in earnest, or seek advice from the people who can help. Ask for pointers from friends or family, etc. That's an example I know I suffered with until I just tackled it head on.

Tl;dr Think of what you could be doing instead of just worrying, and do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    If you can fix it, then why worry? If it cannot be fixed then worrying does no good.
    This guy basically said it better than me.

Think about actions that can be done to fix the stuff thats fixable, the actions to work around the things that can't be fixed, and happy thoughts about the things you like.

I read a book called Happiness, as you can deduce from the title it's a book about happiness. It's more philosophical than psychological though, but it had some good advice. 1 advice was to stop thinking negative thoughts. You could try it.

Medications numbed my worries. Unfortunately it's a bit like spraying your whole car engine with oil, sure some of it gets to the right places but a lot of it goes where it shouldn't go. But, despite that, overall it has been worth it for me.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Why do you think it's something negative? It can prevent plenty of unwanted situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Medications numbed my worries. Unfortunately it's a bit like spraying your whole car engine with oil, sure some of it gets to the right places but a lot of it goes where it shouldn't go. But, despite that, overall it has been worth it for me.
    If you strat treating "worrying" like clinical depression, you might aswell treat fatigue with methamphetamine

Being someone with severe anxiety, I wish I had an answer for that. Though I have been trying to get into the mindset not to worry about things I can't change or have control in - sometimes it works and sometimes not so much.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

Worry is essentially a lack of trust. The best way to fight a lack of trust is oddly enough to start trusting. I think the question then becomes "What should you trust?". This is really a foundational question for humanity. Where ought we place our hopes, our hearts, our faith? Some put it in power, comfort, money, in materials, in science, or even themselves. All sorts of things really. I would argue that these are all false hopes. They never seem to satisfy and you will inevitably be left in your worry sooner or later. They are things that we look to for help. We look to them for salvation. If you lost it you would be devastated. We basically worship them. Kind of like idols. They become like Gods to us. Everyone has them. The problem is they can't really do what we are wanting them to do and so we dispair. They break our hearts everytime. My guess is that you lost something recently that you felt dearly about. Or you failed in some way. Or you got something but it wasn't as good as you thought it would be. I could be wrong. But this is often where worry stems from in my life anyways. My solution is pretty simple. I trust in purpose. In meaning and in truth. I trust in God because apart from him there is no purpose or meaning or truth. I think Christianity got it right. Maybe you think I'm wrong. That's fine. All I can say is that all my worries fade when I bow down and worship a God who says he sustains and ordains all things and is in complete control of everything. A God who says "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

Deleted
    Worrying never helps the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    If you strat treating "worrying" like clinical depression, you might aswell treat fatigue with methamphetamine
    Not necessarily suggesting that the OP try it, it will depend on how big of a problem it is.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by swineflu View Post

if you cast out the things that you have no control over, then a majority of your worries will vanish. Try it.

Deleted
    I used to worry, but then i stopped giving a fuck about certain things. Sure, i would still worry a bit if a loved one is sick and shit like that, but i generally realized that most things in this world are totally out of my control so i can't be wasting my life worrying about them. It's not the same thing to me as caring about important matters, but making your own life worse by worrying about things that can't be helped in any way is the stupidest thing you can do. I just stopped, it's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Well if you can fix it you can worry about whether or not you are fixing it well enough.

Source: I try to fix my chance at passing exams...

A wise man once said;

A depressed man lives in the past,
    an anxious man lives in the future,
    a man at peace lives in the present.