Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I uh . . . was kinda held back . . . in Pre School . . .
    Chained to the radiator?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I guess you could say I skipped my Senior year of HS. I doubled up on classes my Junior year to graduate early.
    Do you guys sit around twiddling thumbs in high school..? It would have been impossible for anyone but Hermione to do it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Do you guys sit around twiddling thumbs in high school..? It would have been impossible for anyone but Hermione to do it...
    No, instead of taking electives, I took classes that were required for graduating. And I got rid of my free periods during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    I aced the competence test I needed to take for enrollment.

I could have just enrolled in the first or even second year without any problems, of course... But at the time, I wasn't wise enough to do that... All I saw was reduced tuition fees (two years instead of four), so I went with it. Because that meant much more work, and my financial situation was pretty rotten to begin with, I got myself in quite a bind, which I could have avoided by simply taking it easy the first two years, and getting a head start for the years to come... That would have given me plenty of peace of mind and time to spend in order to find a normal paying job... Instead, I had to work godawful long work-weeks of sixty hours plus, against shitty wages, and still had trouble paying the bills... And I needed to go to uni at the same time, and study.

Yeah... Worst decision I could have made. Which just goes to show, I guess... Acing a test is just acing a test; it doesn't prove anything.
    Your system is a mystery

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    No, instead of taking electives, I took classes that were required for graduating. And I got rid of my free periods during the day.
    That should have read: would have been impossible here.

Stupid phone

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    They probably counted off for two reasons:

1. Teachers want to see the work you did, just to make sure you did and didn't copy the answer from someone else.
    2. Being able to follow directions, even if you disagree with them, is a sign of maturity. In the real world, if you brazenly disobey your boss because you think you have a better way of doing things, it is likely to get you reprimanded, cost you a promotion, and even get you fired. Or you might decide not to pay your income tax because you disagree with it. Or if you wind up in the military, and disobey orders because you think there is a better way or the current instructions are stupid, it can get people killed. So they are taking off for insubordination as well.
    Your number 2 is foolish. I didn't get the question wrong the question was right, I am being punished not because I got it wrong but because I didn't solve it your way? What if your way is just a bother for me, what if my way is easier and more efficient? It's not a sign of maturity to just do it that way because they said show that's a sign of being a sheep.

Deleted
    I was allowed to skip one grade in kindergarden but just like you my parents declined and though it would be better to stick with my friends in class.

I started a year early, 22 and a half atm and 5th year of medical university.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Did you ever skip a grade when you were in school?

When I was kindergarten, I was identified as extremely intelligent and the school wanted me to skip several grades up to about 5th grade I think. There was just nothing to challenge me. My parents decided it was far too big of a jump and being around kids so much older than I was wouldn't be good for me, so they declined.

Instead, the school basically roped off a special selection of books in the library just for me. I was reading a level far above the rest of the kids.

I was probably going to be one of those kids that was 14 years old and in college already haha.
    Be glad you didnt skip, its not pleasant to be 13 in highschool and one has to think of social factors.
    No need to rush.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you can skip grades in my country. Never heard any talk about it and I haven't heard about anyone who did.

Edit:

My gf just told me a kid in her class skipped 2 grades because he was a genious. I guess maybe my city didn't support it then.
    Last edited by Bodom; 2013-09-03 at 04:12 AM.

For me I was immersed in books for most of the time I was in school, aced tests and got C's for not handing in work. By the time I was in grade 4 I was tested, the results were that I was at grade 10 for mathematics & science, grade 11 for social studies and English, That said little happened in responce, I made stuff happening by starting and publishing a school newspaper and writing a book. Which fortunately scored me an opportunity of a mentor ship with a nuclear reactor designer (to this day I still disagree with anti-nuclear hysteria). That said I never skipped a grade

If my school had allowed such things I would have, but sadly they did not. So I just had to fart around all year waiting for others to catch up.

I frequently wanted to skip ahead during my K-6 years, but my parents told me I wouldn't get along well enough with older students. (Not that I was qualified to skip a grade, of course. But we were arrogant little pricks as kids. Yes, even you.) In retrospect, I think socialization is a good reason not to jump a child ahead. But, hey, to each their own.

Mind you, I had enough credits during the first three months of Grade 12 to ensure graduation, so I just poppped in one or two days a week to prevent from being expelled while I worked my first job. Ended up making enough money over the next two years to put myself through college without racking up any debt.

I skipped 9th grade.